Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby The Passion of Christians
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Passion of Christians

Re: The Passion of Christians 18 Feb 2004 18:34 #7914

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Any educated guesses on how much drop in per cap we are going to be seeing? I am a bit nervous about the fact this is not a popcorn type movie--and being as graphic as it seems to be--not very appetizing either.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Passion of Christians 18 Feb 2004 22:27 #7915

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Maybe the percap will go up if you offer wafers and wine or for those of us who don't have liquor licenses, crackers and grape juice.

Re: The Passion of Christians 18 Feb 2004 23:03 #7916

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
To all of you opening this movie on the break, I wish you good luck. I hope the numbers stay up there for your entire four week or longer run. I myself, might watch it in Mexico--what difference does it make what language it is in? I think the scenes will speak for themselves, and I am a pretty slow reader so subtitles don't help me that much. Anyway, when I get back I will learn when I get to play it for a few days--much better for me than four long weeks.

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 10:36 #7917

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Boy this is going to BIG. I just read this article in Variety Mag. that sumd it up nicely.

No one will have a problem finding a theater playing Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" next week. Responding to increased demand from exhibitors, Icon and Newmarket said Wednesday that they now planned to distribute more than 4,000 prints of "Passion," up from the approximate 2,500 previously announced.

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 14:32 #7918

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I was wondering how I got a print, and how every town around me has one too--I just thought this was the center of the "Bible belt"--now I hear about the increase in print count. Going to be interesting.

I keep geeting calls from churches wanting to rent the theatre and let people in free--most thought they could rent it for as little as $100 a day--in a 400 seat theatre!! I don't know if they believe me when I tell them the facts of what it is costing me per seat, hopefully some will be "educated"

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 15:13 #7919

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
I think it got to open huge-if the churches put their money where their mouth is.I've noticed all the publicity has downplayed(or neglected) the fact that this is a foreign language film with English subtitles.Middle America traditionly does NOT respond well to subtitled films.I really question the "legs" on this film

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 15:26 #7920

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I guess that's what concerns me most. My theater is in a very small town (pop 1600)and while I draw from a wide area, I think that by the time I were to get this film that everyone who has an idea to see it will have by then. I have the same concern for all "blockbuster" type of movies, but particularly with this one. I may be in the minority but I don't think we're going to try for it here. I have given it lots of thought, though, as several have stopped me in the streets or called me up looking for me to play it. Who knows? I've made plenty of mistakes and I'm sure I'll continue to keep making plenty.
"What a crazy business"

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 16:25 #7921

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I now hear that there are going to be 4,000 prints out. We have booked some church groups but we aren't giving it away. We are discounting to the senior rate for larger groups. I sold one showing for $1,250. Considering it was a Thursday in week-3, I'm guessing that we did all right. I could only get about $2K out of that room in a regular sell-out anyway and we aren't going to sell it out on a Thursday.

I predict that this film will suffer a 75% drop week 2.

Don’t give it away

Re: The Passion of Christians 19 Feb 2004 23:33 #7922

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In my area a lot of the theatres are adding special shows on Mon 2/23 & Tues 2/24 . They are starting grind on Wed 2/25 at 6 AM.

But as I understand the contract the special Mon & Tues shows are to be considered as part of the first week - so it will a 9 day first week. And I understand the first week is 70% so I can understand why Newmarket is agreeing to allowing the extra shows. For some it will mean they will hit the 90/10.

Am I correct in thinking that once again the theatre owners are shooting themselves in the proverbial (pun intended) foot.

Re: The Passion of Christians 20 Feb 2004 01:07 #7923

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Check the internet or your local paper,regarding the radio interview with Mel Gibson's father.Talk about inflamatory and anti-Semitic.This one will fuel the flames!He basically says the Holocaust was "fictional"!!

Re: The Passion of Christians 20 Feb 2004 06:49 #7924

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
It's about time to take the gloves off, and call a spade a shovel, here... The supposed "noble intentions" involved in this project are pure hokum: it's the old carny game played on a grand scale... Mel and his bedfellows have cleverly whipped the media and the church folks up into an emotional and controversial fever pitch over this thing, and are riding the tide for all it's worth... The only Almighty being served here is the Almighty Dollar!... Barnum was right, there is one born every minute, and evidently this generation was never exposed to a good flim-flam in their youth... This will raise the bar on how to exploit the masses for fun and profit!...

Re: The Passion of Christians 25 Feb 2004 21:30 #7925

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Well--first day done--as far as per caps for me, the pastorial screening we had in the morning averaged 52 cents--but it was a select group--the public showings averaged $3.33!!--only about 12 cents lower than overall average. I am happy
(so far)

Re: The Passion of Christians 26 Feb 2004 09:46 #7926

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, I'm getting emails that are for and against the movie. Christians are saying that everyone should see this movie and those from the jewish comunity are saying its nothing but folk lore at best. As for me? The movie is doing great here and the gross is the best I've had in a year so you won't see me complaining.

Re: The Passion of Christians 26 Feb 2004 19:27 #7927

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Just got home from the theatre and checked out the first day's gross- 26 million!!!

Looking back at my prediction at the beginning of this thread on Feb. 9- 80 million first 5 days- now looks entirely possible.

My advance sales, especially Sunday, are outstanding. Then the real race starts and we see what kind of legs this has.

Re: The Passion of Christians 08 Apr 2004 19:50 #7928

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have now played this movie for six days and it has outgrossed the first week of all LOR, HARRY POTTER, SPIDERMAN, TITANIC, and all other movies I have played!
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction