Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Theater names...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Theater names...

Re: Theater names... 23 Mar 2004 22:26 #7801

• mpopham
  • Fresh Boarder
You've probably gotten more suggestions than you bargained for!

Still, don't forget
the Tower
the Nile
the Rialto
the Pantages
the Terrace (great name for an atmospheric!)
the Lyric
the Academy
the Granada
and the Cameo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 00:09 #7802

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
and Bijou,Ritz,Rivoli,Stage Door,Music Hall,and Tiffany.

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 08:12 #7803

WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I never expected such a response. This is a great resource. Thanks again!

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 08:27 #7804

You must not have seen the film. I think it was a fine dramatic piece and added class to the name "Majestic".

Bob, I agree with you 100 percent. I think that the film "The Majestic" does a wonderful job of paying tribute to the glory days of the independently owned single screen main street movie house. When TV was still in its infancy and going out to a movie was common but still a special event. I think that "The Majestic" did a great job of recreating that magic within the film.

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 10:05 #7805

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
All great names suggested so far but one of my personal favorites and useful in this day and age when so many theaters are being rejuvenated and reopened to the public: The Phoenix.

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 21:28 #7806

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Here's two I always liked-PICTURE PALACE and FLICKER SHACK.Also,a bit artier-CHEZ ARTISTE

Re: Theater names... 24 Mar 2004 22:18 #7807

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Riviera.
Granada
Paradise
Roxy (of course)....it's an oldr and common name.

Did somebody mention State? National?

Re: Theater names... 25 Mar 2004 06:43 #7808

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I've always had a fondness for a theatre name I saw on a marquee in Oregon...Blue Mouse.

Re: Theater names... 25 Mar 2004 06:49 #7809

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
There were a fair number by the name
ORPHEUM.

Some early picture shows still carried the name OPERA HOUSE sometimes with a name or name of town in front of it. How about
EMPIRE.

Re: Theater names... 25 Mar 2004 16:39 #7810

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Thomas:
I've always had a fondness for a theatre name I saw on a marquee in Oregon...Blue Mouse.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BLUE MOUSE has been a name of more than one theatre, as can be found on the www.CinemaTreasures.org and the www.CinemaTour.com sites, but it is perhaps best remembered by the article with the nifty title: "The Sad Demise of the Despondent Rodent" (get it? 'Despondent'=Blue, and 'Rodent'=Mouse) by Loren Shisler in the 3rd Qtr. 1977 issue of MARQUEE magazine of the Theatre Historical Soc. of America. Here in the two page article with 5 photos is the story of the essence of the name: "It is interesting to note the origin of the name. One story is that Mr. and Mrs. Hamrick [namers of the BLUE MOUSE in Portland, OR in 1921] were visiting in London where they attended a musical play, the title of which was "The Blue Mouse." They were so entranced by the play that they thereafter named their theatres [at opening only of one of the theatres in their chain] "BLUE MOUSE."

The BLUE MOUSE still in Tacoma has its own web site with a somewhat different idea of the name's origin: http://www.bluemousetheatre.com/history.html

That BLUE MOUSE was demolished in '77, but if one would like the full article:

PHOTOS AVAILABLE:
To obtain any available Back Issue of either "Marquee" or of its ANNUALS, simply go to the web site of the THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA at: www.HistoricTheatres.org
and notice on the sidebar of their first page the link "PUBLICATIONS: Back Issues List" and click on that and you will be taken to their listing where they also give ordering details. The "Marquee" magazine is 8-1/2x11 inches tall ('portrait') format, and the ANNUALS are also soft cover in the same size, but in the long ('landscape') format, and are anywhere from 26 to 40 pages. Should they indicate that a publication is Out Of Print, then it may still be possible to view it via Inter-Library Loan where you go to the librarian at any public or school library and ask them to locate which library has the item by using the Union List of Serials, and your library can then ask the other library to loan it to them for you to read or photocopy. [Photocopies of most THSA publications are available from University Microforms International (UMI), but their prices are exorbitant.]

Note: Most any photo in any of their publications may be had in large size by purchase; see their ARCHIVE link. You should realize that there was no color still photography in the 1920s, so few theatres were seen in color at that time except by means of hand tinted renderings or post cards, thus all the antique photos from the Society will be in black and white, but it is quite possible that the Society has later color images available; it is best to inquire of them.

Should you not be able to contact them via their web site, you may also contact their Executive Director via E-mail at: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Or you may reach them via phone or snail mail at:
Theatre Historical Soc. of America
152 N. York, 2nd Floor York Theatre Bldg.
Elmhurst, ILL. 60126-2806 (they are about 15 miles west of Chicago)

Phone: 630-782-1800 or via FAX at: 630-782-1802 (Monday through Friday, 9AM--4PM, CT)
"mopopham" suggests 'Pantages', but it might be best to recall that that was a man's name: Alexandre Pantages, a biography of whom appeared in the very first ANNUAL of THSA.

"Beckwith1" likes 'Phoenix', but I would be afraid that some nut case would want to tempt fate by throwing a fire bomb and seeing if the theatre lived up to its name.

"sals" suggests 'Roxy' and 'National', but I wonder if she realizes that ROXY stems from the nickname of the famous innovator of movie palaces in the 20s: Samuel Lionel Rothapfel, who died in 1935. His fascinating story is found in the 1961 book "The Best Remaining Seats: The Story of the Golden Age of the Movie Palace" by the late Ben M. Hall, and it is to be found at many libraries. NATIONAL is name one would wonder at for the impertinance of the owners to suggest that their place is so prominent that it is invaluable to the nation as a whole! Yet a medium sized city like Milwaukee had at least three such, but if you go to the story about the largest of the NATIONALS there at www.CinemaTreasurs.org you will learn just why it was not presumption which prompted this name there in the hinterlands.

"D.Bird" offers 'Orpheum' and says that a fair number bore that name, and that was because of the entire chain of vaudeville theatres named for the Orpheum chain, which later became part of RKO (Radio-Keith-Orpheum) and the name ORPHEUM itself originates in mythology as "Orpheus" the moniker of a guy who could so make music that even the rocks supposedly cried out in joy! EMPIRE is another common name, but in Milwaukee it was not in reference to any idea of empire, but because the long-defunct Empire Brewery built a theatre there by that name. Ah, what a story there is in a name! Choose wisely.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited March 26, 2004).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Theater names... 28 Mar 2004 16:42 #7811

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
When we took over The Colonial we added one more screen to make it three and we decided to name them after the old original now long gone theatres from our town. The Star, The City, and Dreamland is where you see films inside our theatre. The Dreamland in Nanucket sicced a lawyer on us for stealing their name and I was licking my chops to get sued and soak up the press but they finally woke up and went away!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Theater names... 29 Mar 2004 11:14 #7812

• garymey
  • Senior Boarder
A lot of great suggestions to overwhelm this fellow. I think looking for a connection to your city is a good one. Are there famous films that were made there? People born or raised that have a quality film connection.

To project the "art film" feeling and make it memorable name it after a star or director. Someone mentioned St. Louis? Is that where your theater will be. You could call it the Garland (in homage to Judy and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS).

Or the Monroe, Chaplin, Keaton, Griffith, Fellini, etc. I always wanted a twin theater I could name "Laurel and Hardy."

I guess naming it after the great director John Ford might be a sick joke considering the tragedy that occured at Ford's Theater.

Mercury Theatre was the name of Orson Welles radio company. (The Orson Welles in Boston perished many years ago in a fire and the Kendall Square Cinemas is there now). I like MODERN TIMES MOVIES or CITY LIGHTS CINEMA.

Historic film connection? Lumiere and Edison are good.

Or Zoetrope, Kino.

Did anyone suggest Bijou. It really is a fine name that says a lot.

And then there is putting it out there:

"The Art"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction