Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby when to turn up house lights?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: when to turn up house lights?

Re: when to turn up house lights? 19 Nov 2003 14:59 #6793

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Well, after I gave my boss your replies, he did nothing, but maybe 3 weeks later after I kept complaining he had taken his wife to the regal, and the next day he stopped in and said, "they do turn on the lights durring the credits" I just gave him a look that basically said "no S#it" and we now are back to normal...

what a pain though...

thanks for all your input!
Tony.
tony.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: when to turn up house lights? 19 Nov 2003 19:01 #6794

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
All the Regal Cinemas and many other theaters in my area have the houselights at "half level" during the trailers and the end credits. Patron safety is always cited as the reason, but I wouldn't doubt that maybe some insurance regulations fit into it somewhere.

Re: when to turn up house lights? 20 Nov 2003 18:36 #6795

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I just remembered that some really somber films: Private Ryan-Nazi murder fims-etc. we tweak the lights very slowly. Sad movies there are often people sitting with tears and they don't need lights just that fast. Also: everyone manages to go to the bathroom and counter with no lights so...they can manage with low when it's over.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: when to turn up house lights? 20 Nov 2003 19:39 #6796

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
MIKE <> I can see your point, and the rationalization about about potty calls and refill trips, but when the credits start to roll (at least in my location) there is generally a mass exodus by 90%, or more, of the crowd... Unless I am waiting near the lobby doors to slow things down, there will be kids and young teens running to be the first ones out, and they will knock one another (and older customers) down in the attempt... It's usually just good natured high spirits, but it's dangerous nevertheless, and with this going on in the dark, just makes it more so... Most credits roll on a black background, so there is little reflected screen light... Safety HAS to be our main concern, and NOT raising house lights to at least half level when the credits start is just asking for trouble!...

Re: when to turn up house lights? 21 Nov 2003 08:41 #6797

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
As a movie palace buff, this is one of the reasons I miss the old incandescent aisle lights. In most palaces they were numerous and bright enought to give good aisle lighting during the movie and sufficient to exit at any time. Those little light tubes or ropes may be all the vogue now, but if I had a theatre, I would install low voltage aisle lights akin to those made years ago in high enough wattage to provide enough light to actually illuminate the aisle, not just suggest where it is. If such lights are titlted toward the screen, they will not spill into the eyes of patrons seated near the ends of the aisles, yet they are not bright enough to shine on the screen. While amber would be a nice color, I would settle for white if I had to, to make visibility better. Safety is the first concern, after all. With brighter LEDs now coming on the scene, it may be possible in future to install low voltage wiring under an edge moulding at the aisle carpet edge to contain the wires and supply the little light hoods mounted to the side of the seat standards.

I mention low voltage since I was in the ORIENTAL in Milwaukee when during a show the aisle lights were on as usual, but suddenly I saw from my aisle seat a flash of a large spark on a seat across the aisle and an entire section of aisle lights went out. The spark was on a seat standard where obviously the patron moved in the seat and caused the ancient wiring to short out and blow the fuse in the basement panel. I mentioned this to the manager who said he had been trying to find that short for months after repeatedly replacing fuses. I don't know if he ever fixed it, since the next I recall, they installed those tube lights and the old 117-volt aisle lights were turned off for good. The patron apparently never saw the spark, nor did anyone else seem to notice, but I resolved then that if ever I had a theatre, I would use low voltage to avoid any "hot seats"!!
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction