Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Fund Raising Ideas
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fund Raising Ideas

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 00:40 #40988

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Well periwinkle, I've come up with an idea that probably no one in these forums will agree with. I believe this two-screener can be successfully run as a "sub-run" and classic film theatre. In order to do that I will use video projectors. I have already purchased one thanks to donations from two of my customers. I now have one auditorium open and the video projector gives me an excellent picture. I am seeking donations of $2,000 for the second projector. This means I can run anything I want on blu-ray, both classics and current stuff (about 8 to 12 weeks after the break). I have asked many of my customers how they feel about waiting so long for current stuff and the general response is that they would rather wait and watch it here for $4 ($2 on Tuesdays) than to drive 35 miles and pay $9.50 at my nearest competition. Even my booker does not favor waiting until the stuff comes out on DVD to play it. So I'm going against the flow here but I will let you know how it works out. It sure beats paying $60,000 for digital a digital projector. I also rent out my auditoriums for parties and private showings. ;)

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 10:28 #40992

• periwinkle
  • Fresh Boarder
I do hope it works out for you, Bob.

revrobor wrote:
It sure beats paying $60,000 for a digital projector.

I agree 100%. Especially since 5 or 8 years from now they'll probably come up with some other FORCED technology change that is equally expensive.
Periwinkle

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 10:35 #40993

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Bob,
The last time I checked the release window is still 3months. Little scary that you/ your booker don't seem to know that.

Asking your customers is not the way to go here. They (hopefully) like you too much to tell you that they won't come anymore.once you start showing classics.You need to ask the people that don't come to your theater. Take a clipboard and stand in a Walmart parking lot and make a proper market analysis,

I wish you luck but I am afraid you are clutching at straws. And please follow the advise rufusjack gave you re Facebook/website.
Jay

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 11:38 #40994

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
It sure beats paying $60,000 for a digital projector.

I agree 100%. Especially since 5 or 8 years from now they'll probably come up with some other FORCED technology change that is equally expensive.

Peri,
before you agree with Bob and bet your livelyhood on it, please consider that his track record of ideas that work hasn't been very impressive (at least not in the last 6 months)
Jay

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 12:36 #40995

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Bob,

I do wish you luck and I respect those who are honest with the forum. Since you are going against the norm I hope you give detail results so that others could be helped.

A few questions:
1) How will you define success? Will success mean the ability to pay all who work the theater a competitive wage? Or the ability to meet operating costs without including your family getting paid?
2) Are you keeping these classics for 2 weeks at a time? I have seen your calendar on your Facebook pages and I see to 2 week intervals.
3) How many tickets do you need to break-even per week for the classic movies? Will you tell us how much in ticket sales you had on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
4) Are you going to run any current movies (not released yet on home video) this summer?
5) I too rented out my rooms for private parties an allowed them to play their own movies/games. Only generated about $100 a week though. Have you had anyone pay to play movies or games in this way yet?

Fund Raising Ideas 04 Jun 2014 13:55 #40998

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Good luck to Bob, but feel free to call me if it doesn't work out. I'm looking for more theaters...
periwinkle wrote:
A few days later, the booker informed us we wouldn't be able to get the first two movies on our list; they have reduced the number of product being sent out on the break. The third movie on the list would require a large $ guarantee.

What is your market size? Any competition close?

Fund Raising Ideas 05 Jun 2014 13:26 #41000

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a "Name Your Films" box in my lobby and have received requests for films from the 40s to the 80s. John Wayne is a big favorite. My next film will be "McLintock". I lost money on "Chitty" and I'm losing money on "Graffiti" because I had to pay a guarantee on both. There is no rental on "McLintock" as it in public domain. The room rental thing is being developed by my son and except for a few birthday parties not much has happened yet. You can talk to the owner of this theatre Andrew. He wants a quarter of a million for it. But I do believe this place will succeed. Stay tuned.

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Fund Raising Ideas 05 Jun 2014 14:45 #41003

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
I have a "Name Your Films" box in my lobby and have received requests for films from the 40s to the 80s. John Wayne is a big favorite. My next film will be "McLintock". I lost money on "Chitty" and I'm losing money on "Graffiti" because I had to pay a guarantee on both. There is no rental on "McLintock" as it in public domain.

Bob

Thanks for your honesty on how these movies performed for you.

Fund Raising Ideas 05 Jun 2014 17:35 #41004

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
These don't sound like winning strategies. Do you want to be in business or not?

I'm in a tiny town and I used the Cinedigm VPF. Yes, we lose out on films sometimes because the studios know they won't be able to break even on the VPF payment. I've also agreed to some pretty hefty guarantees. In some ways it has made booking harder like that, but also since going digital I've been able, on occasion, to get films 1 week off the break. Never happened with 35mm.

But I want to be in business. I went out on a limb on digital because it was the only path toward staying in business as a legitimate, decent seasonal first run theater.

Once, when I was living in a different place, there was a "coffee shop" that opened up. I thought "sweet, I'm gonna get me a latte." Showed up and they were using a $50 walmart home espresso maker and a regular coffeepot and selling some pastries. It was a total bust and unbelievable to me that someone would even try that. I feel like that's what you're doing showing DVDs. It's too fakey for me and too fakey for most of your customers.

Fund Raising Ideas 06 Jun 2014 11:37 #41016

• periwinkle
  • Fresh Boarder
Keweler, I was agreeing with Bob on "It sure beats paying $60,000 for a digital projector". Besides, our theater business is not our primary livelihood.

Andrew Thomas wrote:
What is your market size? Any competition close?
Andrew, I think I'll create a new topic "Diversify or Die" to give you all a better idea where we are. I don't want to further hijack Bob's thread.
Periwinkle
Last Edit: 06 Jun 2014 11:38 by periwinkle. Reason: clarification

Fund Raising Ideas 06 Jun 2014 12:40 #41019

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I'll do better on "McLintock" Jack because I've had several requests for John Wayne stuff. BusyBee, the public does not care or even notice what delivery system we use for film. My blu-ray set up gives them excellent picture and sound. And I'm certainly not the only sub-run theatre in the country. Andrew, my nearest competition is 35 miles away.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 06 Jun 2014 12:41 by revrobor.

Fund Raising Ideas 06 Jun 2014 17:50 #41025

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
"the public does not care or even notice what delivery system we use for film"

While I don't think they care as much as I care about presentation quality, I have people come in all the time that want to peek into the auditoriums to see if the picture and sound still sucks like it used to. And now they are happy with our digital projection and sound.

Fund Raising Ideas 06 Jun 2014 19:11 #41027

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Andrew Thomas wrote:
"the public does not care or even notice what delivery system we use for film"

While I don't think they care as much as I care about presentation quality, I have people come in all the time that want to peek into the auditoriums to see if the picture and sound still sucks like it used to. And now they are happy with our digital projection and sound.

My video projector gives a much sharper picture than my Simplex 35s with Schneider lenses.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 10:58 #41029

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
And I'm certainly not the only sub-run theatre in the country.

You are not even sub-run at this point. You should have access to film right now with the summer season going on right now. Are you even thinking about running current releases right now?

You posted the following of Facebook: "Due to lack of customers the Gentry can now not afford to run current films. If you have the newest Blu ray or a classic set of dvds you want to watch here: Start a film club and help us raise the money to stay here for another Holiday Season. We will show your disk to you on our screen.
"

So a guarantee on a movie out on home video is $250 you say. Unless something has changed that was the min. for movies 6-8 weeks old. Has the min. on 8 week old product gone up in the last 2 years?

You also posted on Facebook "We will be having our first midnight show Friday June 27th with "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD" (THE ORIGINAL FROM 1968). Mark that date on your calendars all you horror lovers." Is that public domain too?

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 11:22 #41030

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Night of the Living Dead is PD as is the entire Gentry announced line up including John Wayne. Sadly I've seen these films available for as little as 4/$1 at big box stores.
Facebook posts like "anyone coming...should we pop corn?" Doesn't build confidence in the building. I'm not blaming Mr Allen, he's following a dream but lack of capital when re-opening a long closed theater isn't easy. This experience shouldn't frighten others away from the biz.

A reminder: even when used for a private non advertised showing a fee must be paid to the studios when running DVD and Blu Ray product. Many Theatres are setting themselves up for trouble by ignoring that. Same goes for free kids movies. Fees must be pad unless the films are PD
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction