Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Do you wish you still had 35mm?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you wish you still had 35mm?

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 14 Aug 2013 13:04 #40231

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I've had some success making digital content that will run on my digital system. I've done my pre show for the last several weeks now and it works great. I think it could work for cartoons as well, but you'd still need to get permission to run it.

I ran my single screen in 35MM for many years and I wouldn't go back to those days if you paid me. I don't know how many scratched prints I had to endure....or trips to neighboring theaters to pick up a copy in the middle of the night...or pleading for trailers. Ugh, it makes me tired just thinking about it.
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 15 Aug 2013 01:35 #40237

• jnjeisen
  • Fresh Boarder
I met Rufus (mike) several times before he closed his theatre and I always was treated with kindness and respect. He always had a real working knowledge of the current trends in our industry. He was and is still in regular contact with my family on social media and is very encouraging. I sincerely felt bad when I heard he was leaving the business because I knew he was one of those who had it in his blood. I look forward to having him back now that there are opportunities all over the place ready for an entrepreneur like him. Jeff Eisentraut

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 25 Aug 2013 16:44 #40257

• SMMORRIS
  • Senior Boarder
Ken Layton wrote:
With video projection now there is no excuse not to include a cartoon with the feature!

Are there cartoons available that can be loaded onto the server and programmed to run with features like trailers? We have a collection of 35mm cartoons that we ran before features before we converted to digital. The only complaint we have received from customers since converting is that they miss the old cartoons. To show public domain cartoons from a dvd is a possibility but requires extra labor unless there is way that I am not aware of.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 25 Aug 2013 18:47 #40258

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
As you probably know there are hundreds of cartoons available on DVD. So it requires an extra labor. The important thing is what hits the screen. If you have to do a little extra labor do it. I realize a lot of exhibitors think digital is primarily a labor saving device but if anyone thinks running a theatre means sitting at a desk and pushing a button then I would suggest getting into another business. A lot of today's exhibitors whine about poor business and want to blame it entirely on the films. The truth is they don't put much effort into the promotion, screen presentation, ambiance or community involvement for their theatres.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 29 Aug 2013 12:55 #40266

• SMMORRIS
  • Senior Boarder
revrobor wrote:
As you probably know there are hundreds of cartoons available on DVD. So it requires an extra labor. The important thing is what hits the screen. If you have to do a little extra labor do it. I realize a lot of exhibitors think digital is primarily a labor saving device but if anyone thinks running a theatre means sitting at a desk and pushing a button then I would suggest getting into another business. A lot of today's exhibitors whine about poor business and want to blame it entirely on the films. The truth is they don't put much effort into the promotion, screen presentation, ambiance or community involvement for their theatres.[/quote

We are fortunate to operate a very successful single screen theatre. The question is not whether we are willing to put in a little extra labor (expense) but rather how we deliver value to our customers. While it might satisfy my desire to be labeled a "showman" by sticking to the traditional ways of delivering content it does very little to deliver a profit to my bottom line. I have heard discussions here about never giving in to running 35mm with a platter system and holding tight to doing traditional switch overs I doubt the customers who pay our bills would place much value there. In our digital conversion we were able to automate the opening and closing of screen curtains, dimming of the footlights and starting and stopping the background music between shows. The customer does not know and does not care whether a computer is handling those chores or if we are paying someone they can not see to sit in the booth and push those buttons. The value of me as the owner standing at the door, greeting people as they enter and thanking them for choosing us to see a movie carries an immensely greater value than me being able to post here that I hold to tradition and resist the "new fangled" methods of operating a theatre. The lack of a profit or the inability to pay my bills is certainly a quick route to "getting into another business"

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 29 Aug 2013 18:30 #40270

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
SMMorris:
Your response is one of the best I've read on this site.
Bob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction