Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Latest prediction for when film will be gone?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Latest prediction for when film will be gone?

deaths over reported? 09 Aug 2013 01:59 #40199

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Mike wrote:
"threatening" and closed are two different situations as many have threatened to close to help raise money in one way or another.

www.mlive.com/entertainment/muskegon/ind...under_new_owner.html here's one that closed and is now reopened... don't count them out till they are gone.

The Harbor Theater is an interesting theater to keep an eye. It closed in January of 2012 long before there was a lack of films because of digital problem. This is one of Slap's old clients which I take from past posts owed him money before they closed. Also interesting in that they only came up with enough money for one out of two digital conversions. How many of you besides Bob would have recommended them to do that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

deaths over reported? 11 Aug 2013 14:21 #40214

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There still has been no official announcement from any of the studios of an exact drop-dead date for 35mm. It's certainly dying, it's certainly more difficult to deal with booking 35mm than it was just two years ago, especially if you are looking for 35mm prints off-the-break.

This is my outlook: None of the studios wants to be the first to be labeled as putting the little guys out of business. They are doing everything they can to maintain dual distribution for as long as it is economically feasible, perhaps even a little longer than they should, just to avoid the negative public relations that will occur when a drop dead date for 35mm is finally announced. Both Technicolor and Deluxe have made substantial changes to how they distribute 35mm, to make it as economical as possible to maintain dual inventory for as long as possible.

That being said, there will be a day when a major studio will announce they are no longer distributing new movies in 35mm. It's been only 14 years since the first movie was played in theatres on a digital projector, so another year or two of limited 35mm print availability would not be surprising, so long as it remains economically feasible for the studio. Obtaining those few 35mm prints will get progressively more and more difficult, though, until it would clearly be bad for business to hold out on obtaining a digital projector. That time is probably already behind us, anyway.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

deaths over reported? 11 Aug 2013 19:44 #40219

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
I agree with you Rick. But be careful about becoming another target for Jack.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

deaths over reported? 12 Aug 2013 16:07 #40221

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
revrobor wrote:
I agree with you Rick. But be careful about becoming another target for Jack.

I agree with Rick and what he says is in sync with my beliefs.

Will next summer's movie be available on film? Probably to some extent but there will be very few prints. Plan on being patient.

Should an operator make their business plan based on that film will be available next summer? Rick can answer that but it seems he is saying "no".

Rick says "Obtaining those few 35mm prints will get progressively more and more difficult, though, until it would clearly be bad for business to hold out on obtaining a digital projector. That time is probably already behind us, anyway."

Which is different than your opinions on the subject Bob. Bob to be clear on this: If someone was to consider re-opening a closed theater or starting a new theater....would you encourage them to open with film projection only with the opinion that film will be around for a while?

deaths over reported? 12 Aug 2013 19:54 #40222

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
would I tell someone that 35 mm would be around for a while...

not on a bet... but if you had an existing 35 mm system , and I do currently, you can open in small towns the biggest pics currently,. That will change as some point in the near future. New or old owners have to be ready to move when the time, the final notice, closing time, last call.... comes. And it surely will. Digital is easier and simpler and takes less effort in so many ways. But... can you wait like Jack and Rose in Titanic? Be the very last two people standing on the stern rail as the big 35 MM ship goes down? Or would you rather plan for the future? Yes you can hold out as long as you can or you can plan and make the switch and do what you were supposed to do: show movies.

Last week I got in a 35 mm print of Pacific Rim, I opened first run Planes and had to fight off Smurfs, this week we open Conjuring....all in 35MM. And it isn't the lowest grossing theatre on the planet but it is what it is. So...there are 35mm's still out there and no one has yet to say... THAT IS IT! NO MORE! IT IS OVER! But stay patient...THE END IS NEAR!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

deaths over reported? 12 Aug 2013 21:06 #40224

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
rufusjack wrote:

Which is different than your opinions on the subject Bob. Bob to be clear on this: If someone was to consider re-opening a closed theater or starting a new theater....would you encourage them to open with film projection only with the opinion that film will be around for a while?

If the theatre is fully equipped with 35mm I believe they would get by for a year or two while they work on financing for digital.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

deaths over reported? 13 Aug 2013 14:06 #40227

• Mike
  • Administrator
and this summer we opened in 35 mm Despic Me 2, Lone Ranger, Monsters, Fast 6, Iron Man, Star Trek, Man O Steel... so it is not dead yet.... the availability argues that it is at leat around until next summer. There will be some warning. It will not be an abrupt end.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

deaths over reported? 13 Aug 2013 19:48 #40228

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Mike I tend to agree there will be some film (limited) for the near future, the main concern for an abrupt end to film is the financial uncertainty of Kodak.

I don't think it would surprise anyone if we wake up one day and Kodak is gone .

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 14 Aug 2013 12:53 #40229

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I guess I'd like to hear if anybody is having problems getting 35MM prints either on the break or after. Anybody?

I know when I was contemplating going digital in my single screen way back in 2009 I was having some trouble getting the movies I wanted on 35MM, I'd hear things like; "Well, if you were digital there would be no problem getting that movie but with 35MM there just isn't one available". Granted, rural Iowa is not the movie capital of the world, but still, it's what I heard on more than one occasion.

It seems to me that the toughest times to be getting 35MM on the break (and after) is going to be soon, like this fall. Anybody getting titles like Kick Ass 2 or Paranoia in 35MM without any problems?
"What a crazy business"

deaths over reported? 18 Nov 2013 17:20 #40427

• Mike
  • Administrator
just because it makes good reading
Michael Hurley
Impresario

deaths over reported? 19 Nov 2013 01:30 #40429

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Bob says that his booker told him he as another year. It is just Paramount so far. I am sure no other studios will follow soon. (Sarcasm)

dominoes will tumble fast 19 Nov 2013 16:13 #40434

• Mike
  • Administrator
when you reach the tipping point... it's all over but the shouting. Jack and Rose are headed for the water.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction