Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: want to start a theater

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 07:44 #39965

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I assume you are going to attempt it using DVDs or blue-rays. There is no system available that would project a picture bright enough to be seen. That being the case after just a few showings with no customers the distributors would pull their product since the most common way distributors charge for films is a percentage of the boxoffice gross. That is unless you manage to get flat rate rentals. Then you'd better have deep pockets. Distributors are not concerned about picture quality only boxoffice receipts.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 17:54 #39966

thank you, well i figured if i showed it at night only and move the projector closer to the screen then it might just work. Im not going to attempt this any time soon, but when i do it might be a good way to get started thank you ! i would probably go blu-ray

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 21:13 #39967

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
First run requires actual D-Cinema projectors.

want to start a theater 08 May 2013 23:58 #39968

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sadly no, you might get older films that are available on DVD or Bluray, you would still need to licence them to play them, but don't think you will get many people for old films that way...

I wish you good luck!
tony.

want to start a theater 09 May 2013 04:26 #39969

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
The fact that a film is on DVD or Blu-ray does not make it worthless. There are many films from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s that have an audience whether it's older fans or college film classes. Many of those may still be available on film. Not everyone is interested in "first run" films with the exception of the 14 to 34 year old demographic. So if a theatre is located in the right place anything is possible.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

want to start a theater 09 May 2013 05:11 #39970

well.. hmm does any one know of a company or a person that might rent me some older equpment such as 35 mm projectors to help me get started ?

want to start a theater 09 May 2013 06:04 #39971

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Go to the classifieds on this site or go over to Film-Tech. Many who have converted to digital are giving away 35mm equipment.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

want to start a theater 10 May 2013 18:39 #39972

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
No Where Theater said: "okay just one more question, and i know that this set up would be far from idea but would it work until i could get up more money for better equipment ? okay lets say i could borrow some land from a friend, and if i was to go buy a rely nice home theater projector and run a small drive in would i be able to get 1st run movies from the disturbers ? or are they a specific projector size/ type needed for this? the nearest computation form this area would be over 40 mins away. and all the money made from this would be put up to upgrade asap. I don't thank this would work but i figured i would ask and see, the land already has some older buildings that could be used for the projection booth, and a concision stand. thank you for sharing you knowledge"

I have another suggestion. Get a 16 mm projector from a surplus sale. Get a really good white bed sheet from Big Lots.
Get a big canister of Country Time Lemonade from Sam's and a big old bag of Cracker Jack.
Tell the studios that you want your first run films in 16 mm.
You're just as likely to make this scenario work as any of the others suggested here.

I have seen some "café style" cinemas using home projectors and DVD's. They're just waiting for the MPAA to shut them down.

Bob

want to start a theater 10 May 2013 23:05 #39973

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Bob, Bob, Bob you're being a bit sarcastic, right? He doesn't know anything about the business and is asking what he believes are sincere questions. So lets try to help him out. We need to help him understand he can't have a professional operation using amateur equipment.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

want to start a theater 11 May 2013 04:22 #39977

so 1st run is a no go for sure lol.. im guessing any movies on this kind of setup would be a no go right?... any one have some extremely cheap or free 35mm equipment they want to donate :) lol B)

want to start a theater 11 May 2013 17:47 #39978

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hate to be a downer, but it looks like you're going nowhere fast. I keep wondering if your posts are even real. The cinema business is a real and serious business. You don't start a movie theater with $1000 and land you're bumming off your friend. That's crazy and very obviously stupid.

On a helpful note, a few years ago I discovered a blog that was kept by a guy who started out without much background knowledge and he and his wife built up quite an awesome little art theater. That theater has since sold, but they have kept his blog archives on their website for people to read. You should start at the beginning and see how he did it. moxie.danchilton.com/posts
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction