Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby added fee charge for digital?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: added fee charge for digital?

Re: added fee charge for digital? 11 Mar 2012 22:04 #38028

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have a question on this. If we're talking about independent first-run theaters (that aren't art houses) what are the choices for films "the competition has not played?"

Unless your town will support the indie/art/foreign scene in a meaningful way, is there really much left for first run? I've seen faith-based films mentioned in discussions such as this, but they seem to be few and far between. They also seem more suitable for group sales to churches.

Realistically, are there other viable choices for small first-run operators?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: added fee charge for digital? 11 Mar 2012 22:30 #38030

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Google "faith based films" and it will bring up a lot of info on inspirational films and contacts.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: added fee charge for digital? 12 Mar 2012 02:16 #38031

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Faith-based
There are a handful each year and you will need large local church support for them to gross much. I mean huge bible belt type towns. Towns with more churches tan bars/restaurants. Unfortunately an older crowd tends to come to these and they spend significantly less than average at the concession stand.

Kendrick/Sherwood: have gotten to the point where they can get screens at the bigger places now. Add to that their desire for inflated average gross per location numbers to send a message to hollywood. They do not want to have many screens in any given location.

Another problem: they are very generous in getting their movies to the churches. I played something a few years ago and found out after the fact that a local church ran the movie the week before for free.

So, not enough to be a significant part of your business plan.

Re: added fee charge for digital? 12 Mar 2012 03:30 #38032

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The points rufusjack makes sum up my thoughts about exhibiting inspirational films. I just don't see that there are enough of them to make them a significant part of a theater's business...in most markets.

Re: added fee charge for digital? 14 Mar 2012 19:06 #38047

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
muviebuf wrote:
For as long as I have been in this business the studios have never cared for (or been fair to) second run theatres.

Sure the studios will take the film rental generated by second run theatres but beneath the surface remains the nagging belief by the studios that if the second run market were to completely disappear then most of that second run business would then go to the first runs.

I think that's all a matter of personal perception.

I have a 3-screen drive-in that runs a 7-month season. I don't open first-run, but transition into it as the weather improves. Some of the studios are calling my booker, looking for screens before I even open for the year. Does that mean I think they'd miss me if I didn't open? No.... and I don't expect them to.

If, as has been suggested here, the studios make 95% of their income from the top half of the national grossers, then it shouldn't surprise any of us that the lower 5% wouldn't make that much of a difference to them. By that same measure, are those the same theatres that are struggling to convert to digital, while not understanding why the studios don't lend a helping hand?

There's also the matter of rent payments. The studios possibly get the majority of their film checks from 4 or 5 payables offices. A lot of the rest come from mom & pop home offices across the country. Some of those folks see the studios as being overly paranoid about getting paid. From the studios' perspective, collection problems could quickly get out of hand if they didn't have aggressive policies. This is another example where they see it one way, and us poor folk, just trying to survive, see it another.

For independent operators, the film business is now, and always has been a matter of finding a niche, then making it fit. The ones who can, manage to do reasonably well in this business. Like other professions, the ones who don't, don't.

As for pricing... if you have to raise your prices, then do so and don't make a big deal about it. To anyone who asks, you can point to a long list of life's expenses that have taken a jump over the last year. It's more expensive to get out of bed today, and so is opening the doors of your theatre.
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2012 19:10 by rodeojack.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction