Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ....
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ....

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 01 Mar 2012 15:46 #37972

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
I will be that they will not tell you but there's two reasons: 1. they do not have to pay you a VPF and 2. they do not have the expense of even a hard drive. I've been told by them: go out and rent the DVD and it's a flat 150.00 rental. So: if you were counting on VPF's to help pay for classics on your digital projector... here's another way you'll be screwed by the distribs.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 01 Mar 2012 18:58 #37974

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Just a couple of quick thoughts...

First off, I do want to share with y'all my respect and gratitude for revrobor. He's never been anything less than a gentleman and stand-up guy on here, and he's always been generous, thoughtful and VERY knowledgable in answering my questions or sharing ideas. I have to say that I'm surprised that the most important point revrobor makes - that presentation and showmanship matter immensely - is overlooked by folks who seem more interested in out-predicting each other as to when 35mm will become unavailable.

Of course, we're not on a forum like this because we always agree on everything. But I guess I see it as a virtue if folks can disagree with some grace and civility. When people resort to making mean, nasty comments, they're telling me much more about themselves than about the person they've seen fit to ridicule. My personal reaction to such people is, "Well, there's someone I'll never have to work with." I'm not big on mean people or bullies.

That said, I don't get why anyone should be surprised if they're told to play a Blu-Ray rather than a digital print. A studio's policies will always be based on serving the studio's interests.

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 01 Mar 2012 22:06 #37975

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm only talking about showing a "classic" for a special event, not regular programming. We're a first run theater. Last summer, when we were 35mm, they had no problem shipping out a print of a film. But now that we're digital, they are pushing DVD. I don't know about you guys, but I find it extremely difficult to run a professional presentation, with trailers, using a DVD or bluray. I'm disappointed because I have now resolved to never exhibit DVD's (except for small indy films at special events), which means we are going to cancel some annual events that we've had going for decades.

As an example.... I want to show free movies at Christmas next year. We do this every year, usually show a couple of the bigger kids movies from the previous year or two and we always pay a flat rental. Why won't they provide a drive for that? I can't fathom that it costs the studio much to write the file to a drive and ship it out. Wasn't that the advantage to the studios of this digital transition? Wasn't it supposed to be cheap and easy for them?

I can understand why the wouldn't ship out a drive for a very old or obscure film that hasn't been converted yet. But newer stuff, come on....

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 02 Mar 2012 01:50 #37976

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
JPRM wrote:
I have to say that I'm surprised that the most important point revrobor makes - that presentation and showmanship matter immensely - is overlooked by folks who seem more interested in out-predicting each other as to when 35mm will become unavailable.

There is no debate on that issue. Hell there is a whole website/forum that is pretty much all about "film done right". I guess that can be called Digital done right now. Many on this forum are active there too including Bob.

I will say that IMO, any business plan that assumes you can get film for a few more years (I believe that we can agree that "few" means more than two) is a seriously flawed plan. Please do not rely on that assumption.

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 04 Mar 2012 00:48 #37979

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
just as in all the rest of the digital world: this is all moving quickly. The fact that they point us now towards dvd/blue ray is just another aspect of the evolution. But I do think it makes a lot more sense for "them" re DVD and BlueRay and actually makes a very good point: if DVD Blue Ray is okay on a video projector why do we need 70K worth of equipment when 5K would do it quite nicely?
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 04 Mar 2012 15:28 #37980

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
From the New York Post. I don't need to add anything. This story answers many questions raised on this site.
CGM.

www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/revival_ci...bHNZtF2EcamHTwSNpD3M

11:44 AM, March 1, 2012ι Lou Lumenick

Digital cinema -- movies shown from hard drives -- is displacing traditional 35mm film in first-run theaters so rapidly that it's driven Kodak into Chapter 11. At least two-thirds of American multiplexes have been converted, most recently the 75-year-old Gem Theatre in Kannapolis, the small North Carolina city where my daughter Xan lives.

But digital remains controversial among the somewhat snobbish audiences on the local 35mm-loving repertory circuit, even as venues like BAM. the Walter Reade and the Museum of the Moving Image have quietly begun showing digital versions of new restorations of some classics that are ONLY available in that format. I've seen a few of these -- as well as a batch at last year's TCM Classic Film Festival -- and most look fantastic.

No one has been more bullish on digital than Bruce Goldstein, the longtime programmer at Film Forum, the country's most influential repertory theater, which has premiered new and/or restored 35mm prints of more than 1,000 films over the past quarter century.

Goldstein opened his just-ended William Wellman retrospective with Paramount's spectacular new restoration of "Wings,'' which was shown via Digital Cinema Package (DCP), the format decided upon by six major studios in 2005 as the digital successor to traditional 35mm for new theatrical releases.

The studio was willing to output a new 35mm print of "Wings'' from its digital restoration, but suggested Goldstein look at the digital version first. That's what he booked, "and we didn't have a single complaint from the audience.''

But Goldstein admits he was a little nervous about programming "This is DCP,'' a full week of digital presentations of classics that opens on Friday.

"Somebody came up to me the other day and asked, 'did the studios put you up to this?' '' Goldstein told me. "It's totally our iniative. You can't just go from 25 years of showing 35mm classics without some sort of explanation or tutorial. We want people to realize DCP is really something quite extraordinary. It's not a Blu-ray and it's not a DVD. I've seen some things that have knocked me out of my socks.

"For years, we've been trying to get a good print of 'Children of Paradise.' Twenty years we've tried, but there were problems with the elements,'' says Goldstein, who will follow "This is DCP'' with a three-week booking of a "stunning'' new digital restoration of "Children of Paradise'' -- shown digitally.

"It's a completely new experience. And soon we'll be showing a digital version of 'Funny Face,'' he continued, referring to the Stanley Donen classic with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn, who has been restored by Paramount. "We showed a 35mm print around 1990 and it was OK but nothing compared to what the DCP looks like. It's in VisaVision and Technicolor and all of the colors are restored brilliantly.''

For all of his proseltylizing for DCP, Goldstein hastens to add that he loves fragile old 35mm prints and the format isn't going away anytime soon. "I have 45 35mm prints on my current calendar, many of them quite rare,'' he says. "We're lucky to have access to archival prints of movies that may never be available digitally.''

Right now, only about 100 repertory titles, mostly very high profile stuff like "Casablanca'' and "The Wizard of Oz'' that have been digitally restored, are available on DCP. "It's anybody's guess how many titles will be available digitally in the future, and when,'' Goldstein says.

Running through next Thursday, "This is DCP'' features such classics as "The Bridge on the River Kwai,'' "Goldfinger,'' "The Searchers,'' "Rear Window'' and "The Red Shoes.''

Friday and Saturday's showings of Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove'' will be introduced by Sony's preservation guru Grover Crisp, who will present a special side-by-side demonstration of scenes from both the 35mm and digital versions of the film, followed by a Q & A after the screening.

"Whenever we do a digital restoration of a movie, we create a new 35mm negative for preservation purposes and strike a few new prints to help promote the restoration,'' Crisp said. "But it can be disheartening. Even in the best screening facilities, these new prints can get scratched and can pick up so much debris that it effects the soundtrack. So we have to clean our premium titles every time they come back.''

But with DCP, "what goes out is exactly what we see in the laboratory after we've restored a film in 4K, which is the same resolution as the original negative we've scanned. It feels like a cinematic experience and it's completely pristine image and sound every single time.''

But can digital look as good, or as Goldstein claims, even better than a new 35mm print?

"We've run 'Taxi Driver' alongside our best 35mm print and if you compare the two, the 35mm print is a bit softer and not quite as vibrant,'' Crisp says.

He adds that "we get a lot of requests from repertory theaters and festival, and very lately, we've been getting a lot more requests for DCP if it's available on a title. This especially true in the overseas territories, where digital is more accepted than in the United States. At a restoration festival in Italy, more than half the titles were shown digitally.''

Crisp is currently working on a restoration of "Lawrence of Arabia."

"The negatives are very damaged,'' he says. "It couldn't be restored photo-chemically, only digitally. And the best way to see it is going to be in the digital format.''

Read more: www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/revival_ci...SNpD3M#ixzz1oA7D2afO

Re: SO MUCH FOR THE END OF THE MOVIE BIZ.... 05 Mar 2012 02:53 #37985

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
another kick ass weekend. Best weekend since Harry Potter last July! who would have thought Febraury and early March would have so much life in it? Huzzah!
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction