Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 27 Nov 2011 18:24 #37463

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Its affordable and special matinees will attract young audiences. The mainstream flicks are not packing them in lately like they should. This is a nostalgic blast, around the holidays people look for comfort and the way things were. This is away to look back at a silly time and share it with your kids without going broke by high ticket prices and 3D!
This is going to be around 3.00 a pop so a family of 4 will pay for what one ticket would cost at a feature. Plus you get almost 3 hours of escape!

No one is forcing anyone to go! Will see what the numbers are then you can stand by your angry remarks! Oh and what is CARP? It is nice to see someone taking a chance an offer something otherwise thain mainstream Flicks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 27 Nov 2011 21:34 #37465

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
A couple hundred locations is far from everywhere. Which seems to be just right in my opinion.

Very few people have the taste for this type of product. I doubt if many young audiences have a taste for this. At least that is my take from over 20 years of renting movies. The older "nostalgia" stuff just sits and collects dust.

Another reason for me NOT to play it is which movie do I not play at matinee?? I will not have anything older than 3 weeks ever in the month of December.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 28 Nov 2011 03:11 #37469

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't know if y'all have seen this movie, but it's really not the kitschy, nostalgic bit of fun the title promises. I'm a fan of weird, bad, psychotronic movies, but this one really just sits there. Good title song, though.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 28 Nov 2011 04:33 #37470

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Jacker 5 -- I agree there is nothing to loose on this.If it does well great terms- if poorly its only a few matinee shows. Like to see more of this kind of programing.,
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011 04:34 by slapintheface.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 28 Nov 2011 05:48 #37473

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I would also like to see more off the wall creative programing.
But Rufusjack is right. This stuff doesn't attract audiences.
Practically the entire show as described is available on public domain DVD's right now for a few bucks. The only Christmas public domain item missing from what's been described here is the Howdy Doody Christmas that usually is stuck on the PD Christmas programs. (Outside of the old TV series Christmas shows that are widely available.)
The few nostalgia titles that do work were great films in their own time. This was an exploitation kid's show when it was new and doesn't deserve the big screen treatment.
I agree that there isn't much money to lose here, if the film doesn't displace a standard show time, but it can turn people away from more legit alternative offerings you may show later.
AllenD
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011 05:51 by AllenD.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 29 Nov 2011 02:28 #37485

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw the film with the shorts-ads-sing along and loved it-- cant see how anyone would be disappointed - A fun campy romp---- I don't know many theater owners ( thank god) that would have time to put together a 2 hr presentation as nice as this. God so many of you are so negative on everything .....
HO--HO --HO

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 29 Nov 2011 08:32 #37490

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
You know what? You're right. Whether I'm a fan of this particular movie or not, I'm a BIG fan of people doing something different and booking a show like this. I should have said that in the first place. Sincere apologies for my rather dumb comment earlier. It's cool that you're doing this.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 04 Dec 2011 15:19 #37529

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
1st weekend
Only good at one location. The rest....well it is a bad time of the year.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:38 by rufusjack.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 04 Dec 2011 23:07 #37530

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
NOT CORRECT

FRIDAY $ 1,701 WAS 1 SCREEN RUNNING 1- SHOW

SATURDAY WAS 5 SCREENINGS EACH RUNNING 1 SHOW.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 04 Dec 2011 23:36 #37531

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I apologize.

Not impressed off of those numbers. I am sure it will pick up today.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:38 by rufusjack.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 01:22 #37532

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
THATS AN AVERAGE OF 65 PEOPLE PER SHOW---- MAY NOT BE AMAZING -- BUT SEEMS PRETTY OK--

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 01:30 #37533

• Lawrence
  • Fresh Boarder
Listening to those of you who love to bash a creative attempt to do a bit more business during our worst grossing early weeks of December with 'alternative programming' like "Santa Claus" really makes me sick to my stomach. I sit here tonight looking at these miserable, full schedule 3 day grosses on HAPPY FEET 2 and ARTHURS CHRISTMAS from normally great grossing locations all across this USA and you sit on your thrones downgrading a $326 screen average from a tiny film (without TV support)that only played one show per day at 11am or 12pm? Here's some free advice for you exhibitors and /or managers on this site who apparently have lost your passion and love for this movie business of ours - maybe its time for you to exit stage right. Retire - or go to work at Walmart as a greeter! To those who have the love and passion in their hearts - like I do - more power to us - as we will continue to be successful and endure
as this film business has done over many decades before and with even more to come in the future. Oh - and to those who will
type some sarcastic response back at me - that just proves my point yet another time. "HOORAY FOR SANTY CLAUS!"

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 02:28 #37534

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Lawrence wrote:
Listening to those of you who love to bash a creative attempt to do a bit more business during our worst grossing early weeks of December with 'alternative programming' like "Santa Claus" really makes me sick to my stomach. I sit here tonight looking at these miserable, full schedule 3 day grosses on HAPPY FEET 2 and ARTHURS CHRISTMAS from normally great grossing locations all across this USA and you sit on your thrones downgrading a $326 screen average from a tiny film (without TV support)that only played one show per day at 11am or 12pm? Here's some free advice for you exhibitors and /or managers on this site who apparently have lost your passion and love for this movie business of ours - maybe its time for you to exit stage right. Retire - or go to work at Walmart as a greeter! To those who have the love and passion in their hearts - like I do - more power to us - as we will continue to be successful and endure
as this film business has done over many decades before and with even more to come in the future. Oh - and to those who will
type some sarcastic response back at me - that just proves my point yet another time. "HOORAY FOR SANTY CLAUS!"

No sarcasm needed. Just the facts thanks to Slap. Not much there.

But wait, I did some internet searching and phone calling. At least one third of the theaters were charging full price. One theater on the East Coast charged $10 a ticket and had 5 people show up on Friday according to the attendant who answered the phone.

What was the min. film rental on this? $150 at least? Plus shipping to get it back and forth of $46 (that is what I pay). 3 hours of booth time to put the movie together at maybe a min. of $10 an hour. So a theater's cost to play this would be $226 ($150 + $46 + $30). You say you waived the min. and just collected 35%?? Okay Fixed costs of $76 ($46 + $30). Digital? $46 I guess.

I really do not want to stifle creativity here. But some went a little overboard promoting this as something we all should be playing. This was a fine choice for the big theaters with 12 or more screens. But the vast majority if not 95% of those who are active here are much smaller. The way I saw it was too much work for too little expected return. It does not really matter what we play this weekend and next weekend. It will be slow.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:40 by rufusjack.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 04:25 #37535

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Not sure why you care so much about this little movie that plays 1 show a day .... Like I said if it does some biz great if it does not nothing lost.. Its opening some big theaters next 2 weeks including the Castro . We shall see --
I saw the pic with the pre -show and thought it was fun -- other people will also ----

I cant believe there is so much negative things on this board means some are doing no biz...

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 04:39 #37536

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
Man, I just want to know what theater did $1,700 on Friday. Again, I say good on slapintheface for booking this...and anyone who goes for stuff that's a bit out of the ordinary.

I know it's a biz but, man, y'all are running movie theaters, too! If it's not even a little bit fun...
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction