Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: General questions/help

Re:General questions/help 07 Jul 2010 08:57 #34306

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
this is what I do. I'm finishing up Toy Story 3 this week and then going to a split for the weekend. Then, I'll be back playing Sorcerer's Apprentice on the break beginning next Wednesday (God willing). It seems to be the best way to run a single screen in my opinion as you can still open up the big films and then run splits to get caught up on films you missed opening.
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:General questions/help 07 Jul 2010 11:14 #34307

Thank you. Well that makes sense. So for the weekend you could maybe hypothetically run Karate Kid/Jonah Hex over the weekend until the 14th for the Apprectice release. How long would you typically have to run that for?

Re:General questions/help 07 Jul 2010 12:52 #34308

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Exactly. the split run (Prince of Persia & Marmaduke) will run from Friday to Tuesday and the Apprentice will run from Wed the 14th through Thursday the 29th (16 days). I've just done my first two three week runs (Shrek 4 and Toy Story 3) and they held surprisingly well into the third week. We're the only 3D screen in the area so I'm sure that helps and it won't last forever but, for now, it seems to work. One thing I've learned is to be flexible and try some experiments now and then. Sometimes they're miserable failures and sometimes they lead you into some new directions that you never thought about before.
"What a crazy business"

Re:General questions/help 07 Jul 2010 18:07 #34309

Is 16 days typical or common for a rental agreement for a film? Or is that specific to your relationship with the company.

I guess what I mean is could a newly opened theater be able to get those terms/lengths of time or will they be forced into longer commitments?

Additionally thanks for the other input and advice I appreciate all of the different angles that are proposed.

Re:General questions/help 08 Jul 2010 08:30 #34314

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
16 days is typical for a Wed release, 14 is typical for a standard Fri release. three weeks is becoming more and more common for me. We had a holdover figure for Toy Story that would have made us hold it over for a fourth(!) week but we missed the threshold by only a couple hundred bucks. Newer theaters should not be forced into longer commitments, but you might not get the chance to open anything right away until you prove your numbers some to the studios. I would wade into the shallow end at first and just book some "after the break" movies for awhile before I started in on opening new titles. To each his own, though...
"What a crazy business"

Re:General questions/help 10 Jul 2010 08:24 #34332

On another topic:

I read on some prior posts that Quick Books Pro is a preferred financial software. Is that still a good choice among most? Also is there a compatible POS software that can dump data into Quick Books? RTS perhaps?

Additionally what ticket distribution machines are required/recommended?

Any comments or suggestions?

Thank you :)

Re:General questions/help 12 Jul 2010 10:44 #34355

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Not sure about preferred but we like QuickBooks. RTS dose all the ticketing and concession sales. It takes care of generating your reports to the film companies etc and is affordable and easy to use for the small exhibitor.

Re:General questions/help 12 Jul 2010 14:25 #34360

Thanks

Glad to hear that.

Re:General questions/help 21 Jul 2010 18:25 #34391

Any thoughts on retrofitting existing building space from vanilla box to working theater? Sounds pricy and new open space is outrageously priced per sq ft.

Old unused space is common in some areas but if it wasnt recently used I'd be worried about getting it up to code but I like the older styling or those structures.

Also I've read on here that 24' ceilings are recommended for theater set up. Is this about right?

Re:General questions/help 22 Jul 2010 12:32 #34392

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have a friend who was taken an old hardware store and an old grocery store building and put in theatres. Low rise stadium seating only one step between isles. Also you have to be creative with space and not think in straight lines for halls or auditoriums. Can work out very nice. You end up with multiple booths so in theatre digital would help out with that and a control room for computer gear.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction