Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm going digital

Re:I'm going digital 10 Dec 2009 10:35 #32972

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, the install is proceeding as planned. I've seen a few trailers and 3D demos on the new silver screen and we should (I hope) be able to see the feature today. It's been a helluva week with really long hours. While we had the screen down we tore apart the old stage from behind the screen. What a job that was! We're also doing some decorative changes in the lobby as well as on the side walls of the auditorium plus we're adding a kitchen with hot dogs and other hot sandwiches to boot. It has been fourteen hour days for three weeks now and I'm really tired and the shows haven't even started yet!

The install has seen several issues come up but we've been playing whack a mole with them and beating them down as they pop up. It looks good for us to be able to put on a heck of a good show for them starting tomorrow. :woohoo:
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:I'm going digital 10 Dec 2009 15:26 #32974

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
did you pull the stage out to push the screen back???

Re:I'm going digital 11 Dec 2009 21:12 #32979

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
the stage needed to go because it was dangerous. Before we bought this theater in 2003 the roof leaked and several of the floor boards of the stage were rotting away. we use the area behind the screen for dry goods storage (popcorn tubs, etc) and by removing the stage added several more feet of width plus safety and insulation benefits as well. But there were rusty nails about every six inches in the thing and what should have taken a couple of hours took a couple of days which cramped me for time the rest of the week.

I'm just plain exhausted....:blink:
"What a crazy business"

Re:I'm going digital 12 Dec 2009 01:06 #32980

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Post some pics and let us know how it went. All the luck and hope for a good turn out!

Re:I'm going digital 12 Dec 2009 11:53 #32981

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Did you increase your ticket prices much since you upgraded from 35mm to Digital 3D?

Re:I'm going digital 12 Dec 2009 12:24 #32982

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
We raised a dollar for digital but added a bargain night (Monday) and bargain matinees which are our old price. 3D adds another dollar. We're still $1.75 cheaper then the nearest multiplex even when we're playing 3D.
"What a crazy business"

Re:I'm going digital 13 Dec 2009 16:54 #32983

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Is Avatar going to be your first digital exhibition? Looking forward to seeing how you like the digital world. Welcome to the exciting world of digital cinema.

Re:I'm going digital 13 Dec 2009 17:26 #32984

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Actually, I'm playing Christmas Carol in 3D now. It is a really cool and easy to use interface. I have all my shows scheduled in and they start automatically, including stopping the preshow and dimming the house lights. One of the biggest advantages for me is not having to worry about trailers anymore. I just get a hard drive with every trailer shipped to me every week. That, and not having to worry about picture quality or some idiot who scratched my print beforehand. I'm sure there will be a downside that surfaces, but I haven't seen it yet.... I'll try and get some pix posted
"What a crazy business"

Re:I'm going digital 13 Dec 2009 17:46 #32985

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Sounds like you are already hooked by the ease of running a digital system.
I agree that trailer problems are a thing of the past.

Re:I'm going digital 13 Dec 2009 18:14 #32986

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
The downside? When you have to pay for the system. Unless.....you get VPFs (been told for sure you are getting any yet?), you get product earlier (too soon to tell this time of the year), higher grosses (which can be hard to measure), savings because you do not have to pay someone to work, or you can work on something else that makes you money, save you money.

Leeler,

Obviously your situation is very unique. Have you historically tracked your grosses vs. other theaters using Rentrak's website? If so have you done so with this weekend's grosses?
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009 18:18 by rufusjack.

Re:I'm going digital 13 Dec 2009 18:48 #32987

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
It's far too early to say how this is going to shake out financially. I just know it needs to be done by everyone at some point, so if you have the means, why not now? I've tracked my theater against others around the area and we already do better then most around here (other then the big guys in the cities, of course). Hopefully that will continue and we'll be able to leverage this change into even bigger numbers. My dream is for this business to be our soul method of support, but we aren't there yet. We'll have to see how the ticket price change goes and how the booking changes (if at all). We are planning on running two movies per week on my screen after they are a few weeks old so, hopefully, we'll have something for everybody some weeks.
"What a crazy business"

Re:I'm going digital 24 Dec 2009 04:00 #33042

• bryan868
  • Fresh Boarder
Very interesting to hear about your upgrade, leeler! Good luck!

Re:I'm going digital 26 Jan 2010 22:16 #33222

what did the real d deal end up being?
how many years?
no equipment cost up front?
$1 per customer to Real d?
Do distribs still pay for Glasses.

Thanks as i am looking to add a digital screen at my 3 screen theater

Re:I'm going digital 27 Jan 2010 00:23 #33224

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
update----

Re:I'm going digital 27 Jan 2010 06:56 #33225

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
well, I guess it is time for an update. We're off to a screening this morning (the Wolfman) so it'll have to be brief. So far it has been running pretty smooth. In the booth there have been some new things surface. For instance, I just got my new movie for the weekend (need some new terminology as I have a hard time calling it a "film" anymore) and it was on a hard drive as usual. However, it came on a IDE hard drive and did not come with a proper wire so that I could ingest it. Deluxe is sending a replacement. The good news is that it came on a Tuesday so we have plenty of time to sort it out. Also, since it is 3D (Avatar) I need to change bulbs out. This is fairly similar to my old lamphouse except there is a fairly intensive bulb alignment procedure. No big deal but it adds a fifteen minute procedure on to it before I can quality check it. Since I'm still playing 2D this week I'll have to change bulbs back after the QC and there is another alignment procedure. Then, on Friday, I'll have to do it yet again. Oh well.

Booking-wise it has been easier to get movies then it used to be. On several occasions I've called up my rep and asked for a movie and they've said no, until I reminded then I was digital and then it was no problem. That sure is nice. I think I'll have an easier time when it comes to some of the upcoming 3D movies to be able to get on national release date (Alice in Wonderland and How to Train Your Dragon for instance). We are running the superbowl in a coupke of weeks which should make for a better night then we otherwise would have and we ran a couple of college bowl games already. I'm currently running two Disney movies at the same time and it is running smooth and we're having a good week with them.

Still haven't gotten any VPFs yet but the carrot is just ahead on that stick in front of me. I've been told it won't be much longer but until I get a check in my hands I'm not gonna hold my breath.

All in all, things are good! Gotta go, it's a three hour car ride to get there and the Wolfman waits for nobody!
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction