Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on licensing and Rentals

Re:Question on licensing and Rentals 21 May 2009 09:00 #31564

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes that seems to be the norm for older movies, a flat fee vs % of box-office which ever is higher. Also depending on how far back you go things may be in the public domain. I spent weeks once trying to trace down who had the public performance rights to certian films. First the guy who had the rights said he sold them. But when I talked to the other party they had bought all the rights except public performance. It is not always easy on the really old classics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Question on licensing and Rentals 21 May 2009 09:27 #31565

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I have never booked for a school or no profit and I think they operate somewhat differently. Theatres: I deal with all the distribs. WB Classics you have to contact by fax. I am waiting for a reply and still no answer from 2 faxes this week for Goonies. I just booked Pulp Fiction and they (Dis/Miramax) insisted ons ending a 35 print and sort of winked and asaid if it comes out of a dvd how will they know>? Many theatres book an older film and then show the dvd to save on make/break. I deal with each distrib mano to mano or mano to womo. If you are brand new: get a booker.

Classics are a whole world unto themselves. Noone is on TV pushing the film, there are no ads other than yours: it's all on you. Never believe what "people tell me" as they are rarely the people who it turns out actually go to the movies. It can be done but it is work.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Question on licensing and Rentals 22 May 2009 10:18 #31572

• utoben
  • Fresh Boarder
Really great info guys. Thanks a lot for helping.

Is it feasible to hire a booker just to get the licensing done even though I may not rent the 35mm print? Or can you give me some contact points to find these classics myself, or point me in the right direction?

Re:Question on licensing and Rentals 22 May 2009 15:24 #31578

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Contact the distributors listed on this site and ask for the classics division. If you hire a booker he takes care of all the legal stuff. You are not given a special license for public performance when you rent from the distributor. It is assumed by the distributor that you are renting it for a public performance so the "license" is implied.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction