Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Be carefull what you wish for!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Be carefull what you wish for!

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 21:24 #19330

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I absolutely love booking my 2 theaters -saved 26k a year and found a new challenge to work on. Booking is a person to person relationship. Build a relationship with the studio sales managers, pay your bills on time and do what you say you will-noone will worker harder for your theater than you-you are the best advoccate for your business. I have been lucky enough to get the films I want though I have only a seasonal competing theater to contend with. Without question I wish i had started doing my own booking ten years earlier.
Slap if you are getting shut out how can you do any worse than the person you are paying? As long as you don't lose your temper perhaps you should try your own booking-at the least you'll save the fees. Also I spend perhaps 4 to 6 hours per week at most on booking duties. My general manager takes over for me when I go on vacation. I would never go back to having a booker
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 22:54 #19331

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
this is a new situation that started this summer/It seems that the summer is when they play games.may/june /july........Now for August i have more pictures than we can play ..Crazy....Christmas the will be fighting to play the thater.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 08 Aug 2008 06:47 #19332

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I do my own booking. Worst case: I get about the same movies and I save the fee and my time is only maybe 1-2 hours a week tops.

IMHO: I think I have done slightly better especially in the area of move-over. Before with a booker it was the constantly find out on Monday for Friday. Now at least I am able to know with a decent level of certainty that I can get something earlier than that to start to promote it.

Sometimes you may be fighting over a print with another of the booker's clients. Who wins out there? What if there are 10 prints available and 20 of their clients want it?

Now if you are the booker's top client by grosses, then that may be a different story.

How hard will a booker fight for one client when he/she may have 50? 100? I doubt they can fight too hard or it might hurt their business.

You are your best fighter.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 08 Aug 2008 13:21 #19333

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
I book myself, saves me a bunch of money, and I know that my interests are being looked out for. I too have seen a lot better action on move-overs and move outs since I book myself. I had a booked before and got sick of hearing "well you cant that one" when the reality was he gave it to another theater. I have had to make my case personally to get certain flicks, and having the person to person relationship makes that possible. Its not as time consuming as many make it out to be.

Roger Detzler

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 08 Aug 2008 13:48 #19334

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I have always booked myself so I can't compare it to having a booker, but, for my little one screen move-over theater it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to do it myself. I just got of the phone with WB and booked one for two weeks out and it took me five minutes tops. Having said that, however, I do put a lot of time in planning what I want to show and when but that is fun for me...
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction