Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 4th of July

Re: 4th of July 15 Jun 2008 23:33 #19037

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Well said Burney!

I love this website because there are so many of us very small guys in very small towns that are doing it for the community rather than the big bucks. If I was in it for the money, I would have went to a more populated area years ago.

People in larger populated areas don't have a clue on how things like 4th of July and county fairs are supported by basically the whole community.

The funniest thing that happened to me in one of my towns (not related to the 4th--but showing how the community supports things) I was scolded for opening with a big movie on the same week end that the community play opened--by good customers (I think they wanted me to tell Hollywood to reschedule their opening heehee)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 4th of July 16 Jun 2008 10:02 #19038

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think my 5-screen in a town with a population of 11,608 is a "large population base."

Re: 4th of July 16 Jun 2008 12:13 #19039

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Anyone that has a new theater should not be closed on JULY 4TH....PERIOD!

Re: 4th of July 16 Jun 2008 15:36 #19040

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Its never a big day for us but around here you can see fireworks on several days depending on which town you want to go to so it would not make sense to close for the 4th.

Re: 4th of July 16 Jun 2008 15:56 #19041

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
we have a huge 4th celebration in one of our towns and we fought the river for the first 3 years insisting on being open. But we found that no one, and I mean maybe 10 people, come to the theatre. Plus the emps go crazy wanting to go as well. So we closed. This year we'll have Zippy's open and it's the first Friday: we may stay open.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4th of July 16 Jun 2008 21:37 #19042

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'll be open on the 4th of July just as I am open most other holidays. The exceptions are Thanksgiving and Christmas eve. I do run a matinee on Dec. 24th, but on Thanksgiving I run nothing. I actually do ok on the 4th of July. We have no fireworks here at our town on the 4th, as the following week is the community days festival which has fireworks Friday evening at 10 PM. I'm open during those as well, and it doesn't seem to hurt business then either. Most of the people I get that evening are probably from out of town.

Re: 4th of July 17 Jun 2008 09:42 #19043

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
When I die i will not wish i had worked more July 4ths Christmas nights etc etc. Theaters are a 365 day business mainly because the large chains use and abuse their salary staffs. How many of the home office staffers will work holidays?
I agree with burney....its your business run as you see fit and let the chips fall as they may.

Re: 4th of July 17 Jun 2008 09:56 #19044

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
LET THE CHIPS FALL AS THEY MAY..I DONT THINK THIS IS TAUGHT AT HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL...LOL

Re: 4th of July 17 Jun 2008 12:30 #19045

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
New or old, it doesn't matter. My choice to close on the 4th is no different from my influence over my bookings (yes, we meddle in that area, too), my concessions offerings, my house rules and the way we train our staff to interact with our customers.

In short, it's just one of the privileges of ownership. I'm comfortable with my choice. My staff comes back on the 5th, ready to kick major attendance tail.

You can say what you want about whether a theatre is 365, or should be. There are plenty that aren't, and their owners have their reasons for it.

Theatre owners generally equal "strong opinions". You're all welcome to yours, but I'm not sure that saying someone "should" be doing something, "period" or not is very constructive... and possibly not practical.

Re: 4th of July 29 Jun 2008 19:30 #19046

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I have had the Temple for 6 years... it feels longer. Al;l of the 4ths since year one have been sun-mo-tu-weds-thurs and due to this year being Friday: we are staying open but scheduyling early enough film ends so fireworrs and movies can both be done. Next year: Sat night. Same thing after that: we'll go back to closed for 4th.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4th of July 30 Jun 2008 00:52 #19047

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Our fireworks have been cancelled due to the major fires still burning and the current high fire danger. This is the first time they have ever been cancelled.

So, now I will be open on the 4th.

Re: 4th of July 30 Jun 2008 15:49 #19048

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We're open on the 4th, and we're having our own fireworks display. Nothing huge, 10-15 minutes max, but is always appreciated by the customers that do show up. That way they don't have to choose between fireworks or movies.... they can do both.

We usually have our parking attendants plus a couple of guys from the fire department shoot the fireworks from behind screen 1, which is easily seen by all. This year we have allocated about $900 for fireworks.

[This message has been edited by Barry Floyd (edited June 30, 2008).]
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: 4th of July 30 Jun 2008 18:44 #19049

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
That ought to be a pretty good show, Barry.
Jack

Re: 4th of July 04 Jul 2008 23:21 #19050

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'm certainly glad that I was open today, on the 4th of July. It was the 3rd biggest Friday opening I've had this year. I opened Iron Man. The only problem was that I only ran evening shows... no matinee.

I had a problem with my rewinder last night so I came in around noon today to fix it. While I was there the phone rang constantly. Every call that I answered ask: Is there a matinee today? Had I had a matinee today, I might have had my biggest opening of the year.

What do I owe this wonderful influx of holiday business to? That very thing that every indoor theatre owner loves most... RAIN, all day long!

Re: 4th of July 05 Jul 2008 00:29 #19051

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
so/so today .....all but rocky horror at midnight 60 people not bad for midnight...
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction