Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby credit card processing vs. atm
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: credit card processing vs. atm

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 15 Jun 2008 01:49 #18945

We (a single screen) have been taking credit cards for several years. On the negative side, they do hold up the cashier, but not much more than hunting for change of that hundreth $50 note on Sunday.

On the positive side, card purchases do reduce the cash on the premises, which is a security issue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 15 Jun 2008 02:55 #18946

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Online processing should reduce transaction time to 5 seconds or less. That would make a credit transaction comparable to making change or sorting cash into your til drawer.

DSL does work well with RTS. However, Cable broadband works equally as well (that's what we have here), as does ISDN and even 56k dialup, if continuously connected throughout the evening.

Customer acceptance should take off within a reasonable amount of time. If your regulars are used to a cash-only operation, the transition to plastic will take awhile. Within a year or so, you could see %30 to %40 of your business conducted with plastic.

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 15 Jun 2008 09:13 #18947

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I love RTS but not there credit card provider..I am thinking of useing a seperate machine to now do my credit cards.(even thought theres is built into the machine.)My average credit card fee is $1,700 per month.......25 cents per transaction plus fees..So .50cents per person if they get a ticket then use it at candy stand..(plus %)

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 15 Jun 2008 13:31 #18948

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Get a competitive offer for processing, then send a copy of it to Mercury Pay. They will match it.

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 22 Jun 2008 20:42 #18949

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
If you are a Costco member, you have the largest merchant account provider avalable at really low costs- NOVA. I've been using them for years and have never had a problem. At the time when I was shopping for a merchant account, they were the cheapest by a large margin.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 23 Jun 2008 02:00 #18950

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
We started with Nova... used them for several years. When I went to RTS, I cancelled Nova's service and became one of Mercurypay's first RTS accounts... something like 3, if I recall. Nova continued to dock my account for monthly fees. I finally sent them a certified letter, demanding they stop. I also had my bank cancel their authority to pull fees from my account.

Nova did cancel, but not before they pulled another $175 from me... something they described as a "severance fee". They got past the bank's "de-authorization" by using a different merchant name.

So... you can probably guess what kind of language I'd use to describe what I think of Nova, were we not a family show around here!

(^#*@#&!!!!).

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 30 Jun 2008 11:54 #18951

• BigScreen
  • Fresh Boarder
I would think that the per-transaction fee that you get hit with would encourage selling concessions and tickets at the same time, since you would avoid that extra charge.

My assumption (based mostly on my own personal point of view) is that people are more willing to spend money on concessions if they already have their wallet to pay for a ticket. If you sell tickets at the concession stand, or sell a concession package at the box office, you could avoid the double-hit of the transaction fee.

I've also heard that selling both at the same time dramatically increases concession sales.

Scott Jentsch
The BigScreen Cinema Guide www.bigscreen.com
Scott Jentsch
The BigScreen Cinema Guide www.bigscreen.com

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 30 Jun 2008 15:39 #18952

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
When I was researching this several years ago I was told that people tend to use the card either at the boxoffice or concession but few use it at both places. The last time I looked at the reports that seams to be what was happening. Most used it at the box office and not the concession. The concession use was mostly different than the box use. Very few used it at both.

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 01 Jul 2008 00:21 #18953

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
My assumption (based mostly on my own personal point of view) is that people are more willing to spend money on concessions if they already have their wallet to pay for a ticket.

Interesting thought, Scott, though I'm not sure I'd buy it.

My feeling is that if a customer has just paid $30 to get in, chances are he's not going to let the total get much higher.

On the other hand; If he goes to the snack bar later, and starts from scratch, he'd see a smaller total and, I think, would be likely to spend more.

The per-transaction fees are a fact of life. Alternatives are paying for a check guarantee service, charging the customer fees for ATM machines and, of course, cash only. Considering the benefits I gain from accepting plastic, the fees are small change. Even in cases where a teen might make a very small charge, the overall balance is very positive.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited July 01, 2008).]

Re: credit card processing vs. atm 01 Jul 2008 00:24 #18954

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
people tend to use the card either at the boxoffice or concession but few use it at both places.

15 years ago, that was true here. Now, the people who pay for their tickets with plastic are probably more likely to use the same card for their concessions.

... at least, that's the way it's working here.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction