Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: flood!

Re: flood! 15 Jun 2008 19:22 #18901

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Yes, we opened and it was a big morale boost for the town. We received lots of compliments but business was definitely knee-capped. We had our best show this evening at 53 people which is actually a little better then usual for a Sunday night but friday and Saturday were pretty slow as you might expect. We are still cleaning out flood mud and we're getting a bunch of help tomorrow so hopefully we can get the most of it out of here by then.

All in all, it could have been so much worse for us that we are grateful. There will be lots for the town to do and they'll end up bulldozing several dozen houses so, and that will hurt us in the long run. We have been considering down-sizing and going to Friday through Sunday operations but it is too early to make decisions yet.

Here is a video of the flood (the rear of our building can be seen in the center of the video at the 40 second mark with the three AC units out back): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxnL2NzXNbI

[This message has been edited by leeler (edited June 18, 2008).]
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: flood! 19 Jun 2008 14:40 #18902

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
How is everything going. There painting a grim picture on the news and just wanted to make sure you were well.
Has the water receded yuet and will you be able to open the theatre this week?
Well god bless and wish you all the best!

Re: flood! 19 Jun 2008 18:35 #18903

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
we opened last Friday to mixed results attendance-wise. The water is still a little high but it hasn't been a problem for many days now. We are still battling the flood mud in the basement and hope to finish up this weekend. We got a new furnace installed and I think the water heater is going to be all right. We've been declared a federal disaster area (many counties have) so we are looking into disaster aid for our financial woes. All in all, I kind of have survivor guilt a little bit. As bad as it was here there are loads of people who have it so much worse that it seems wrong somehow to bitch about my problems. At least I have a home, a car, a family, a running business. It's a weird feeling....
"What a crazy business"

Re: flood! 26 Jun 2008 10:53 #18904

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
How is your theatre and town doing now, Leeler? I was thinking about your major problems when I was writing about our fires.

Re: flood! 26 Jun 2008 11:48 #18905

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
well, the theater itself is back to normal. I was pleased that we had good attendance this past week for Indiana Jones. Hopefully, Wall*E will continue the trend 'cause, as they say, we got bills to pay! We scooped out the muck and said goodbye to lots of personal belongings and several thousand dollars worth of tubs, cups, lids, etc as well as our five year old furnace. The flood wall that protects this theater and several other businesses on this block was ripped down by the flood and all that is left is a pile of rubble. This is the way I picture Afghanistan in my head (no idea if this is accurate or not, but you get the idea). This leaves all the business on this block including mine vulnerable to even a minor flood now and that is my biggest worry. The grocery store reopened and several other businesses are starting to get going again. The lower end of town that was in the flood plain is still a disaster and few are going to try and stay. I would say about ten to fifteen percent of the town is going to be demolished at some point and that figure is just an estimate. We have applied for SBA assistance and we'll have to wait and see what happens there but I'm not holding my breath.

All in all, I still count myself fortunate. We still have our home and most of our possessions. Our county is one of the 70 (out of the 99 counties in the state) that has been declared a federal disaster area. Get ready for food prices to go up because the crops this year are going to be really poor.

Good luck with your fires, burney. That would be a whole different level of scary.
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction