Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Lamphouse or Console?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lamphouse or Console?

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 19:32 #18811

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
I was there in the late 70's until I went to General Cinema in Indy. As far as looking for equipment, I have helped equip a tri-plex conversion with equipment thru E-Bay of all places... If you are good with your hands and can do alot of the equipment install yourself the prices cann't be beat... but you've got to know what your getting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 19:54 #18812

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jholliger:
I was there in the late 70's until I went to General Cinema in Indy. As far as looking for equipment, I have helped equip a tri-plex conversion with equipment thru E-Bay of all places... If you are good with your hands and can do alot of the equipment install yourself the prices cann't be beat... but you've got to know what your getting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you were there when it was just a single screen correct?

I am good with my hands and I am mechanically inclined. As a matter of fact, that is how I first got my job at the Frankfort Cinema. A friend of mine was running this theater. I went out there one night to see the late show. I asked him if I could go up into the booth to check everything out. He left me up there by myself while he took care of business. The previous show of Beverly Hills Cop was just finishing the credits. While I was in the booth I started observing how everything was running. I never stepped into a projection booth before. So, after the show was over I took my chances and pulled the film from the platter, threaded up the projector and back to the platter again. When my friend came back up into the booth and saw what I had done he freaked (in a good way). He said he has tried to teach his employees how to do this but they could never get it. The only thing I had wrong was my loop was too small in the projector. He offered my a part time job right there.

I sell and buy off of ebay all the time. I do keep an eye out for this stuff. As far as knowing what I am getting, that is where this forum comes in handy. It is a wealth of infomation that wasn't there 20yrs ago.

And I do appreciate the info everyone here shares and hope I can contribute in the future also.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 19:56 #18813

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaboomers :
<B> So you were there when it was just a single screen correct?

I am good with my hands and I am mechanically inclined. As a matter of fact, that is how I first got my job at the Frankfort Cinema. A friend of mine was running this theater. I went out there one night to see the late show. I asked him if I could go up into the booth to check everything out. He left me up there by myself while he took care of business. The previous show of Beverly Hills Cop was just finishing the credits. While I was in the booth I started observing how everything was running. I never stepped into a projection booth before. So, after the show was over I took my chances and pulled the film from the platter, threaded up the projector and back to the platter again. When my friend came back up into the booth and saw what I had done he freaked (in a good way). He said he has tried to teach his employees how to do this but they could never get it. The only thing I had wrong was my loop was too small in the projector. He offered me a part time job right there.

I sell and buy off of ebay all the time. I do keep an eye out for this stuff. As far as knowing what I am getting, that is where this forum comes in handy. It is a wealth of infomation that wasn't there 20yrs ago.

And I do appreciate the info everyone here shares and hope I can contribute in the future also.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 20:16 #18814

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
actually I was there after the 2nd screen was added. That was quite the farce too... saw the walls fall in three time during the construction. I started in the business at the old ROXY downtown before leaving for Navy.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 22:22 #18815

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jholliger:
actually I was there after the 2nd screen was added. That was quite the farce too... saw the walls fall in three time during the construction. I started in the business at the old ROXY downtown before leaving for Navy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny you mentioned that about the walls. I remember that west side wall after they got it up collapsing before they were able to get the metal roof girders on. It was in the winter time I believe. That was in either 1979 or 1980.

The Roxy was my inspiration for wanting to own a theater. I use to go there for the Saturday matinee when I was very young. Here is a photo of the Roxy from 1962
http://www.frankfortplace.com/images/Roxymed.jpg

What a small world it is!

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited June 08, 2008).]

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 08 Jun 2008 22:24 #18816

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited June 08, 2008).]

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 02:45 #18817

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Where would I look to get more info on the auto systems that you guys mentioned? The TA-10 sounds simple and may be what I want. Are these available used or how much new?

Been awhile since I bought mine... somwhere around a kilobuck, I think.

You'll also want the FM35 failsafe/foil detector.

Most theatre parts & service companies deal Component Engineering equipment. American Cinema Supply and Hadden Theatre Supply are a couple you can try.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 09:30 #18818

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
That's a great picture of that Roxy theatre. So what ever happened to it... does it still exist in any form?

As far as automation goes, I use EPRAD Co-Operators for my 2 projector booth. I guess they haven't been made for years. I put mine in in 1976. They are very simple, but wonderful, completely dependable, and they have never failed me during the past 32 years. As parts are no longer available, I purchased 15 of the units for a total of $100.00 at auction when a local equipment dealer went out of business several years ago. That should last me for the remainder of my theatrical career, or until I install Digital Cinema, whichever comes first.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 11:15 #18819

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
The TA-10 is a really really great automation and is perfect for 80% of theatres. I would highly reccomend it. It is VERY reliable and does not suffer a lot of the common problems of other automations. (No mechanical relays, microswitches, or cam timers which cause 99% of the problems with the kelmars) It is very straight foward and incredibly easy to learn. Your tech will set up all the cues and control wiring at install so after that it is as simple as pressing the green button to start, the red to stop, or flipping the manual switches. There are also a bunch of "option" switched on the front of the unit so you can add masking control, sound format control, manual cues, pretty much anything. These machines are also a breeze to interlock. To set-up interlock at the install you just run a small gauge 2 conductor and a sheild beldon type cable and set an ID adress on each unit. When you want to run interlock it is as simple as pressing the Blue interlock button on the machines you want to interlock and then pressing start on one of them. Thats it! Very powerful yet simple and elegant solution. Very stable and reliable. Highly reccomended.

The only drawback for some is there in no timer but I find this to be a plus. I detest timers and think an operator should be at the machine when it starts too much to go wrong.

They also have status and remote panels you can buy and unlike some which need wires run from every machine all you need to do is run one pair of the same cable you use for interlock wiring run from one machine to the status/remote panel. The status/remote panel becomes a seperate machine on the "interlock" bus and monitors all the automations that are connected together through one cable, Couldn't be simpler.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 15:31 #18820

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Both of my TA-10's have timers that I use quite often without any problems.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 17:59 #18821

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
The ROXY in Frankfort is no more... shortly after the Jerry Lewis Cinema was built it was closed it and came down. It was a dream to work there... full stage, with balcony and box seat on the sides and dressing rooms back stage. The interior was a spanish court yard style with can light above the plaster ceiling in the shape of the constilations. had a lot of big name acts on the stage.. even say a visit from Roy Rogers & Trigger on stage. For years a local dairy ran summer free show every sat all day admission was just a milk "bottle top" (bet that dates me) Even remember during "horror" shows when they ran wire from the booth to the stage and ran "ghost" down the wire, even had one brave concession worker that was hung by her feet and swung screaming across the stage. Ahhh the glory day.....

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 19:32 #18822

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoxyVaudeville:
<B>That's a great picture of that Roxy theatre. So what ever happened to it... does it still exist in any form?
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Roxy was torn down in 1974. A bank nows stands in it's place. Ironically it closed because they had opened the new Jerry Lewis Cinema in 1972 and the town wouldn't support both theaters. Not to mention the Roxy at that time was run down and in need of repair.

Now the JL Cinema has been demolished and that is where I got my equipment from which brought me to this forum.

The only thing left I know of from the Roxy is a brick I had been carrying around for the past 34 years. (lol)

Here is another photo I had found which I believe is the Roxy but not positive. If it isn't it is another theater that was in town. Maybe Mr. Holliger can comment on it whether it is or not.
http://www.frankfortplace.com/images/KraftNoveltyBand.jpg

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited June 09, 2008).]

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 09 Jun 2008 20:24 #18823

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
Back to the automation questions. The TA-10, is it still being produced or only used units available? What do these run?

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 10 Jun 2008 00:26 #18824

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
TA-10 is still in production and available brand new. Some dealers may have some used ones available.

Re: Lamphouse or Console? 10 Jun 2008 15:29 #18825

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
Both of my TA-10's have timers that I use quite often without any problems.

Really? Did they come that way, or it it something your tech added on? I know it would be very easy to add an after market timer but Ive never seen one come new with one? Can you take a picture of it for me?
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction