Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Good price on booth equipment?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Good price on booth equipment?

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 24 May 2008 08:16 #18714

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I agree with Leeler. Wait till later unless you are 100% sure you need it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 24 May 2008 08:58 #18715

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would wait until you are ready to use it. There should only be MORE equipment available as time goes by. If you could be open in a few months, I would buy it now, but if you need to sit on it for a while, just wait.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 24 May 2008 10:08 #18716

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
I agree with Trackfood. As more and more chains upgrade to digital their will be newer, and better used equipment cheaper. IMO you will always be able to find a good deal on 35mm equipment there is no reason to lock yourself into spending money on stuff that you may not even use when you may be able to get more equipment, thats newer, and in better shape when you are ready to open.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 29 May 2008 20:17 #18717

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
We also ran a former Jerry Lewis Cinema built in 1972. The projectors were Simplex XLTs but the lamphouses were tiny - 600 watt which I believe was pretty standard for the franchise. We replaced them immediately as you would have no business using them in today's world for the standard 75 foot throw in the standard 350 seat Jerry Lewis single screen. If those are the ones you are looking at, I would not buy them. I agree with everyone here about waiting to buy your equipment. I got a quote for my entire theater's equipment from several dealers (4 screens worth of stuff). Most did not want to buy as they can't warehouse all the stuff that is coming available. $5,000 for my entire theater equipment: DTS, CP500's, QSC amps, new JBL speakers with horns, Christie Aw-3 platters, Simplex XL's, Xetron and Christie lamphouses/consoles, etc. We didn't sell. Stored it instead. Glad we did - pulling it out to supplement our current landlord owned equipment. Only thing we sold was the ancient Frazier speakers - to an audiophile not a cinema dealer.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 29 May 2008 22:12 #18718

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
Although the projectors were original from when it was built as a Jerry Lewis Cinema in 1972. The lamphouses are not. They were replaced about five years ago by consoles "Orcon" I think is the name.

I have decided to go ahead and purchase everything except for the platter. They were wanting $1250 each on those. The rest of the stuff they said they would sell for $200 which includes the two Simplex 35s, the consoles, the movie screen and frame along with a bunch of misc cinema stuff like marquee letters, poster cases, etc, etc.

Although the $2000 may be on the high side, it is more of a sentimental (or just plain mental) thing for me. Just knowing of all the movies I have seen there since I was 9 yrs old (now 45) had passed through these projectors. Kind of some history to our small town that is gone now.

If anyone is interesed, I have a video I shot at this theater a week before they tore it down. The demolition guy let me have full run of the place while they worked on cinema 2 gutting it out. The part I video taped was the original part of the Jerry Lewis cinema with the 350 seat screen.

Here is that link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj7bSpC8GKc

I also have a photo album of the demolition on my own website which is here http://www.frankfortplace.com/Cinema-Album/

I am no videographer so please be kind. I did add the sound to the video clip.

There is a better quality version of my video at http://www.frankfortplace.com
but it requires a faster internet connection or it may look a little choppy.
Try it out!

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited May 29, 2008).]

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 30 May 2008 00:40 #18719

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I think you did well.

beckwith: Are you wanting to sell anything right now? If so email me. What did you get for your Fraziers as I have some too.

[This message has been edited by rufusjack (edited May 30, 2008).]

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 30 May 2008 17:37 #18720

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
Oh my god, please please do your self a favor and do not buy those ORC consoles!!! IF they are the vertical ones you will have to spend a fortune to get good light out of them. Except to replace the 45 degree mirrors, and reflector at the least.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 30 May 2008 18:42 #18721

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
I don't plan on using the ORC lamphouses. They just happen to come with the package so it will be the same anyway.

My focus (get it) is getting the projectors and the movie screen which is in very good condition. Plus the misc stuff that is too numerous to mention.

Thanks for the warning on the ORC's

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 31 May 2008 10:08 #18722

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
Ok, I understand you now. I was just trying to save you a lot of future grief. There is one company in this business that givs cinema tech's nightmares and that's the late ORC- Optical Radiation Corporation. About the only thing they could get right was there Rectifier which Strong still uses to this day. I think the problem with them was that they were too ahead of thier time. They did not have the right technology to do what they wanted to do whent they did it. Nothing (except the rectifier) is simple on ORC equipment!

I would use the rectifiers if you can. If you can find a strong console without a power supply you can use the ORC power supplies in them.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 31 May 2008 11:35 #18723

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Actually, there was one other product that worked pretty well... at least for me. I have a set of their platters, which put in a good 25 years of service before I retired them.

I didn't like their makeup table, but their geared rim-drive system put much more positive control over the platter than the vacuum cleaner motors on the Strong / Potts models.

The Dodge ignition points they used in the control heads were interesting. I wondered if I could find them when they wore out. Turned out, I replaced the platters before that ever happened.

You're right about the power supplies. I did up-size the diodes in mine, but they were otherwise fairly trouble free.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 31 May 2008 14:09 #18724

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
Beleive it or not I installed ten of those orc 302-e series platters in a remodeled theatre 2 years ago! I have to respectfully disagree and say they sucked the big one

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 01 Jun 2008 01:15 #18725

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, thanks for posting your video and pictures. I always enjoy looking at old theatres. Good luck with your project with this equipment!

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 01 Jun 2008 01:25 #18726

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have to respectfully disagree and say they sucked the big one

Interesting. Before they started wearing out, mine gave me less trouble than most of the other stuff that was here.

What kinds of problems did you have?
http://www.rodeodrivein.com/gallery/albums/Booth-Rebuild/DSC00044A.sized.jpg

http://www.rodeodrivein.com/gallery/albums/Booth-Rebuild/Dsc00515.jpg

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited June 01, 2008).]

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 01 Jun 2008 10:27 #18727

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
A lot of timing issues, the pots on the feed plates would drift constantly. The PCB's in the column were flaky and failed often, we had trouble with the bearing in the drive wheels seizing. They just required a lot of TLC it seemed.

Re: Good price on booth equipment? 02 Jun 2008 00:21 #18728

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
Well, I went and did it. I bought me two simplex 35 projectors today along a bunch of other stuff.

As I had mentioned before, I didn't get the two platters. I did find out the manufacturer of them. I believe they are made by National Drive-In Theater MFG CO. or something like that. Is this a good manufacturer of platters?

I had also found a piece of property in my town that may be had at a good price. It is located just outside of city limits about two blocks away from our WalMart plaza. What is nice about this property is it that it is already zoned for business. It is located next to a bowling alley. This property had a business built there back in the early 90s. A local man had bought this property and built a Maze. It was a place you paid money to get into and you were able to walk through this huge outdoor maze. He had a building constructed on the site complete with bathrooms and a office area. As you may guess it flopped big time. He wasn't in business for a year. The whole place was abandoned and it is over grown with brush.

I am going to attempt to find the owners info at the courthouse tomorrow and see if it is available for sale or ?

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited June 02, 2008).]
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction