Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Golden Compass

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 18:53 #16441

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
so what's the bottom line on this title? New Line has marketed the hell out of it but my small town is building its' tenth (!) church. I've had one person asking me not to show it.

On a side note, I have institued a "movie vote" on my web page and customers can submit a vote either for or against a movie each week. I'm going to start one on Compass next week and see how it goes.

Check it out here: http://www.elkadercinema.com/MovieVote.htm

But please don't cast a vote unless you want to come by and see it here...
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 21:05 #16442

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Leeler, if I could provide an ounce of constructive criticism here. I doubt many will vote if voting automatically signs them up for your e-mail newsletter. I know you want as many subscribers as possible, but attempting to "trick" them into subscribing will backfire on you. Newsletter subscribing should definitely be a separate function.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 21:31 #16443

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
LEER I LIKE THE VOTE AND YOU ARE NOT TRICKING ANYONE...PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD ARE GETTING A LITTLE WACKY AS OF LATE........

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 21:46 #16444

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I LOVE constructive ctricism. I barely know what I'm doing at all. I've had the vote for about two months now (one movie per week) and I think it is doing a good job of weeding out the ones people do not want to see. Voting has not been all that heavy (if I'm lucky I get about 10% of my newsletter list to respond) but, hopefully, in time it will grow and become even more useful. The reason I have the vote enroll them in the newsletter is that is how I report the results and start up the new vote. People can opt out of the newsletter at any time so I don't think it is a big deal, but, like I said, I barely know what I'm doing....

But, back to topic, does anybody have any advice (or another early December title)?
"What a crazy business"

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 21:59 #16445

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
early December looks weak..

Re: The Golden Compass 04 Nov 2007 22:40 #16446

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
People are wacky here all the time. You have alot of different views and the old and new gnerations clashing.
I THINK THE VOTING SYSTEM IS GREAT! I also think you should maybe question your regulars and see what they want to see and if there interested in seeing Compass.
Maybe at the begining of your next feature just get up on stage and talk to the people.
If this sounds silly sorry but these are your bread and butter an I think if you talk to them straight forward maybe they can give you good feedback!

Re: The Golden Compass 05 Nov 2007 18:04 #16447

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
so, what about either 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' or 'I am Legend' as replacements? Alvin looks awful to me and Legend is a little too spooky, I think, for small town Iowa. What do you think? Do better then Compass?
"What a crazy business"

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 05:57 #16448

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
hmm..I dislike hearsay..look at Harry Potter..there are elements of society who loudly bleat "its witchcraft and evil"..but usually these people have never read the books or watched the films. Harry Potter is about good vs evil with good winning..ok, so this one was written by an atheist..it doesn't automatically mean its evil..its won loads of childrens book awards http://www.scholastic.co.uk/zone/book_philip-pullman-awards.htm
so I can't imagine its all that bad. I have just been given the books today to read..so I'll let you know

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 08:43 #16449

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Had a school all lined up for a group booking of this picture. After more research the school called to cancel-they didn't want the controversy.

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 08:50 #16450

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
leeler---what about Enchanted(disney)

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 08:57 #16451

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm opening Enchanted already. I wasn't planning on Compass until right after the holidays. Trouble is, early December is so weak that there isn't anything to plug that hole (except Legend or Alvin) before the boatload of stuff that comes out the 21st and beyond. Heck, even January has some decent looking stuff in it. I don't want the controversy but it might do better than Alvin or Legend. What say you?
"What a crazy business"

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 09:08 #16452

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Just saw the new trailer for Alvin and it show much more of the story line. I think now it looks better than I previously thought from the first trailer.

I know the standee has gotten positive comments from many people so I think it will be a win for us.

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 09:19 #16453

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
where is the new trailer for Alvin? All I found was the first one where he eats a turd.
"What a crazy business"

Re: The Golden Compass 08 Nov 2007 10:34 #16454

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
little kids will love alvin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction