Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Digital Dream is over: now what?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Dream is over: now what?

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 01 Nov 2007 09:41 #16413

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rufusjack:
<B>Rick,

As Rodeojack mentioned; If you are a seasonal 1st-run, like I am right now (I hope not to be in a year) then with CBG-Nato I will get old equipment AND not receive any VPFs.

Unless someone can tell me how this is good for me, I will hold back my excitement for CBG-NATO. I would be excited if someone from CBG would return my phone call to answer the same question. but no one answered it on the other thread either.

Too many things can happen between 2 years form now when CBG-Nato installs may start and 8-10 years when I may get hand-me down equipment.

So to answer Mike's question: I will constantly re-evaluate my situation whenever it is warranted.

From CBG:

Seasonal First-Run / Move-over and Discount Theaters:
Since these theaters occasionally or rarely play a first-run title on the national release date, they will not qualify for a virtual print fee. So…how and when will they be converted?
Eventually, the digital equipment that is being installed today is going to become outdated as the technology will, of course, improve. (Think of the computer you had five years ago…and the one you have now). When the larger first-run markets start to upgrade that equipment, the digital suppliers will then be able to move those units to the move-over and discount theaters…thus continuing the digital transistion. This is, of course, IF they are a member of the CBG. So yes…you may be joining this group…but not be converted for another 8 to 10 years. But…this will be cheaper than trying to buy the used equipment yourself from one of the suppliers. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The book in not closed on seasonal/first-run theatres getting VPF's and new digital equipment. These locations will need to be evaluated on a location by location basis, with their individual agreements focusing on weeks of operation and their number of first-run bookings per screen annually, then using that information to structure their individual deals so the integrator will have the equipment paid for through a combination of VPF's and contributions from the theatre operator over the term of the agreement.

If these theatres want to install new digital projectors, they should still have that option but it will cost them more upfront than what a year round first-run location will pay, since seasonal first-run will generate less VPF's annually per screen.

The more weeks the theate is open, the more first-run movies they will show, the more VPF's they will generate. That is only one scenario, many other ones are feasible and being considered. Nothing has been decided yet, so the book is still open until the CBG members vote to close it.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Transit Drive in (edited November 01, 2007).]
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 02 Nov 2007 07:40 #16414

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
This just came out in today's newspaper. All 62 Regal sceens at 4 complexes spread around the Buffalo market area are, as of today, all showing movies in Digital Projection. Every screen. Buffalo is most likely being used as a test market for them to learn from before converting the rest of their complexes in 2008.

I am sure they have a few 35mm still in place to show independent movies that are not yet available in digital. Otherwise, every movie they are showing, on every screen, is digital. If you want proof, I will scan and email anyone a copy of the Regal movie listings who requests it.

Regal has 4 complexes scattered around Buffalo and Niagara Falls. They are the only major theatre operator in the Buffalo Market, besides AMC which operates a single site with 8 screens where they own the property, that they'd love to dump at the first reasonable offer. Everything else in Buffalo is smaller independents.

Anyone still think Digital Projection is a dream?

Rick

[This message has been edited by Transit Drive in (edited November 02, 2007).]
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 02 Nov 2007 10:30 #16415

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
In a industry with such low standards i for i cant wait for digital.Yes ther are a few theaters running great 35 mm they are just that a few....

the day i can throw these christie 35mm projectors out the door cant be soon enough.

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 02 Nov 2007 11:26 #16416

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Transit Drive in:
<B>This just came out in today's newspaper. All 62 Regal sceens at 4 complexes spread around the Buffalo market area are, as of today, all showing movies in Digital Projection. Every screen. Buffalo is most likely being used as a test market for them to learn from before converting the rest of their complexes in 2008.

I am sure they have a few 35mm still in place to show independent movies that are not yet available in digital. Otherwise, every movie they are showing, on every screen, is digital. If you want proof, I will scan and email anyone a copy of the Regal movie listings who requests it.

Regal has 4 complexes scattered around Buffalo and Niagara Falls. They are the only major theatre operator in the Buffalo Market, besides AMC which operates a single site with 8 screens where they own the property, that they'd love to dump at the first reasonable offer. Everything else in Buffalo is smaller independents.

Anyone still think Digital Projection is a dream?

Rick </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got word from the Regal District Manager in Buffalo that the newspaper (Tribune Media Services sets up the movie listing information for the Buffalo News) mistakenly interpreted their digital sound for digital projection, on all their screens on all 4 complexes. It did seem rather sudden to me. False alarm.

Rick

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 06 Nov 2007 12:16 #16417

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Since I started this: my plan is to hold off as long as I can but when the time comes I'll bite the freakin' bullet and cowboy up. Probably lease. This week we have shows from Warren Miller ski films on DVD and a mid-wife outfit showing their dvd movie and in our other theatre we have the ski , + 2 documenatries on DVD for a special Oscar....call it what you want but it is not film.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Digital Dream is over: now what? 06 Nov 2007 22:43 #16418

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Transit Drive in:
<B> I just got word from the Regal District Manager in Buffalo that the newspaper (Tribune Media Services sets up the movie listing information for the Buffalo News) mistakenly interpreted their digital sound for digital projection, on all their screens on all 4 complexes. It did seem rather sudden to me. False alarm.

Rick</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does anybody still think Digital projection is a dream?

Sorry, but I just had to do that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction