Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestions for audio

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 11:39 #15475

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
From the comments above...:

We have both Dolby and DTS systems here. On my Dolby system, I have the reader that mounts on top of the projector, rather than the combined reader that mounts in the sound head. I have had NO problems with that part of the system. Some have mentioned issues with the basement readers, but that usually is addressed by fixing issues that the analog side is less sensitive to (bearings, lateral guide parts, etc.

My DTS systems have been pretty reliable, though I've replaced 2 drives and one power supply in my two units over the past 5 years. Otherwise, just normal maintenance, cleaning and occasional voltage checks in the reader. I've addressed the missing disk problem by working with another local theatre. I've helped them through a couple of problems in the past, and they help me with the disks if I get a print without one.

I would agree that it is easier to use Dolby... it's almost everywhere. On the other hand, it seems to be the first to go on a dirty print. We use Kelmar film cleaners and Filmguard on everything around here, so that makes this a non-issue for us.

There are purists and people with "sensitive ears" who think they can tell the difference between Dolby and DTS. Maybe they can... but I've been in auditoriums with a well-tuned SR analog system, and people have walked out commenting about the great digital sound. Personally I don't think it matters.

I think the trade-off is cost vs convenience. With Dolby, you just load the film and go. However, it's more expensive than a DTS... depending on where you get the hardware, and the reader is sold separately.

The last DTS system I got (new) was something around $3,500 or $4k... if I recall... and it came with the reader. However, you have the issues with the disks showing up... and whether they're in playable condition.

DTS uses CD and hard drives, so there is the potential for eventual repair needs on these mechanical parts. Dolby has none of this, though I have had to repair power supplies and replace cards in the past.

If I had the money to burn, I'd probably go with Dolby, just out of convenience... but I don't think that's a good enough reason to pull an installed, working DTS unit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 12:35 #15476

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have DTS in both of my theatres. I have had to replace the drives in both of the units in 8 years. Both units were used when I bought them. I seldom show on the break, so the film and disks have been around the block when I get them. The newest DTS cases are terrible and are often smashed up, but the disks still run flawlessly. I have had a few occasions in the eight years where the disks did not show up. If I am able to call a day before, they are usually able to get them to me. But when they don't, my analog sounds pretty darn good and nobody has commented about whether the digital was working or not.

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 18:09 #15477

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ok so maybe I will go with Dolby Digital. But for right now I am going to stick with analog.

How many speakers of surround will I get from an analog surround system?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 19:57 #15478

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Juise,

Your only 1 hour away from my theater. On the 21st of this month I will be hosting a "Cast and Crew" night. Come by and check out my auditoriums and projection setup. It will give you good idea on what a modern setup looks like.

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 19:59 #15479

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
On the DTS XD10, you can also connect to a network as well. Pretty cool.

Re: Suggestions for audio 08 Dec 2006 23:57 #15480

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ill ask again, is it possible to get full surround from analog (if I start with that). I have always been a fan of DTS.

Also how do you get the DTS trailer?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Suggestions for audio 09 Dec 2006 01:47 #15481

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
You can get surround from analog with the right equipment. Others will know how and give you the correct terminology.

The DTS trailers are supplied by DTS if you have a machine registered with them. You can purchase them from cinema supply stores also. I just call DTS when I need new ones.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited December 09, 2006).]

Re: Suggestions for audio 09 Dec 2006 21:59 #15482

Most analog tracks contain information for left, centre, right and surround channels. Any decent cinema matrix decoder will give you those four channels. Even domestic pro logic decoders will work but they don't give you noise reduction.

The difference in digital surround is that there is discrete left surround and right surround information, plus the possibility of matrix decoding of a rear surround channel.

You should install at least four good speakers on each wall for the surround channels.

No matter what system you get, you should have an expert set it up for you. Setting Dolby levels correctly is vital for proper surround stereo.

Re: Suggestions for audio 10 Dec 2006 01:09 #15483

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I do all my own audio work. Been installing equipment for years.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Suggestions for audio 11 Dec 2006 14:45 #15484

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
That was a bit harsh, but i can save a ton of money by just getting someone to consult me instead of hiring out a company to install everything.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Suggestions for audio 11 Jul 2007 14:46 #15485

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
On this topic, can anyone suggest an audio installer in the northeast? Specifically Upstate NY.

Unfortunately or audio equipment is circa 1980 with the only sound coming from enormous speakers behind the screen. The static you hear during our presentations drives me up a wall. We need new speakers and surround sound added in and I don't think my guys can install it on their own.

Any suggestions?

mannooss

Re: Suggestions for audio 12 Jul 2007 10:13 #15486

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
Call Brian Vita and Cinema Service and Supply in Massachusetts, he can help you out. Been using him for years. 800-231-8849

Roger Detzler
IOKA Entertainment Inc

Re: Suggestions for audio 12 Jul 2007 15:33 #15487

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
Entertainment Equipment in Buffalo NY
Jim Lavarato 1 800-448-1656
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction