Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Terms?

Re: New Terms? 06 May 2007 22:11 #15045

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I received the same list from BV as posted above by reelman, with a note written on it that said for "first run only on national release date".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Terms? 07 May 2007 15:47 #15046

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
The way I understand it is that is the percentage film rental if played within 4 weeks of the break. You can still play further off the break for lower terms.

Re: New Terms? 07 May 2007 17:47 #15047

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I sure hope so!

It's pretty hard for us single screens to even consider 1st run when they make us hold over 2 weeks... especiaslly when there are so many big movies this summer, we would miss half of them!

tony.

Re: New Terms? 08 May 2007 00:09 #15048

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The way I understand it is that is the percentage film rental if played within 4 weeks of the break.

I first heard about this last Summer, and that sounds a lot like what I was told.

Re: New Terms? 09 May 2007 21:05 #15049

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Just received terms for Robinsons-51%-Didn't take months for the terms to be delivered-I'm actually still playing the picture. Any guesses how big Pirates will be?

Re: New Terms? 10 May 2007 09:00 #15050

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Same here, got our settlement for Robinsons yesterday... 51%. Just a little over 5 weeks from it's 3/30 opening date.

[This message has been edited by sevstar (edited May 10, 2007).]

Re: New Terms? 15 May 2007 17:01 #15051

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
Would it be entirely insane to boycott BV?
You know if they start something like this, everyone else is sure to follow. There are lots of other people out there making movies.

Re: New Terms? 15 May 2007 19:15 #15052

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
Would not even consider it. BV provides me with a lot of product every year that my customers want to see. And I sure don't want to hand over those customers to my competition. Which are national chains and would never join a boycott. Plus in my 52 years on the planet. I have yet to see any boycott work. They tried one, and with a lot of media coverage behind them, just one year ago this month... with the DaVinci Code.And we all know how big a success that was.

Re: New Terms? 15 May 2007 20:29 #15053

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Please explain why this policy is bad for first run cinemas? BV is as tough as they come but what is wrong with terms that are clearly listed for all to see? These terms are no worse than other comapnies-Spidey 70, 70, 60, 50-lovely. Shrek the third 70-60-60-50 great. Terms based on performance without any 90/10 possibility is in my opinion a good thing. Again I ask what am I not seeing? Boycott-I think not.

Re: New Terms? 15 May 2007 22:50 #15054

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
So far it's actually been a good deal for me. With the 51% bill I got for Robinsons vs what I had already paid based on older style terms. I now have a sizeable credit with BV. So far I like it. On the earlier question about how much Pirates 3 might gross. I looked back to see what Pirates 2 did. That one grossed $423 mil and some change. I expect Pirates 3 to do as good. So that would put it in the top tier of the new terms at 62%. So that is what we are budgeting our film rent is going to be with Pirates 3. Ratatouille we are figuring on a gross around what Cars did. So that one we are budgeting at 57%.

Re: New Terms? 15 May 2007 22:52 #15055

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Boycotts don't work.

BV is in the driver seat because they probably have the most desirable movies of any studio.

The problem is what happens for those titles that you bring in after 2-3 weeks? Will those be at 35-40% or much higher?

We are on the break probably 8 mos out of the year and bring in stuff 2-3 weeks old to fill in. There were plenty of prints available of Terabithia after 3 weeks and well as Robinsons. The only good thing about bringing in a 3 week old title is that lower split.

Plus, why would we keep a BV title for a 4th week if we have to pay over 50% for it? They are almost encouraging us to dump their films after 3 weeks even 2 weeks.

Narrow Gauge: Might want to check your terms with Sony or maybe the days of negotiating terms are not over, I was given 70,60,50,40 (but who cares about week 4 anyway).

Personally I like to know what terms are up front.

Re: New Terms? 16 May 2007 00:25 #15056

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes, BV can be tough. They also make loud noises about nasty new policies that they don't always follow.

That being said, it's also true that every time our booking status has improved with the studios as a whole, the first step has generally been made by BV. The other studios have generally followed quickly. Yes, BV's motives seem to be driven purely by money... but so what? That's kicked things off the fence for us more than once in the past 20+ years. Fox and Paramount have always been good for/to us.

Their terms are tough, but they draw good crowds here... and those folks usually arrive hungry. I can't complain much.

It's a screwy business, and you usually have to find your niche without anyone's help. If you can do that, there's still a good living to be made, IMHO.

Re: New Terms? 16 May 2007 07:15 #15057

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Rufusjack
Spidey terms for my 7 screen cinema were
70-70-60-50. At my 3 screen Strand terms were 70-60-50-40. I believe Sony has several different market price points depending on expected gross. My point is with many companies turning to the AG(BV, WB,
Universal, NL) the mystery of "settlements" and negotiating is close to an end. A good thing for the independent owner.
I like the new system as few films have legs anymore, so holding 6 to 8 weeks is rare. The new Ag just seems more open and upfront than settling later.

Re: New Terms? 16 May 2007 15:06 #15058

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I guess I don't have a problem with the terms if we open 1st run, but when we get a picture after 4 weeks, we sure don't like the idea of paying 1st run rates for a film on it's last legs...

I think they need to be more clear on what terms are for 2nd run folks!

Who would want to open a 4 week old film for 62%?

tony.

Re: New Terms? 16 May 2007 20:01 #15059

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
I am trying to get clarification. But I think these are just first run terms. I know we had similar terms setup last summer with Cars and Pirates 2 like these new ones. I also know some sub runs picked both of those up after 8 weeks for 35%. Leeler mentions above that he played Pirates 2 8 weeks after the break for 35%.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction