Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grindhouse

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 11:19 #14815

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
"They should of split this up and released them 6 months apart!"

This movie is just part of the experience that one would have at a TRUE Grindhouse type theatre (without the smell). The Grindhouses would play four features from 9am to 5am (two runs a day) and change features twice a week. So on that special day a patron could watch 8 full features for around $1.50. The way they put this film together, was to show a small version of what Grindhouse movie going was like.

It was a funny time at the movies. This time around, after having to work a few times in the booth running them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 11:36 #14816

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Maybe what's happening here has some similarities in my business.

The lore of the grindhouse is something that few today would remember, if they even experienced it. In my travels, I never did. That might have had an effect on the film's performance. The producers got caught up in the novelty and romance without considering how many in the mainstream could relate. For most, this must have been a pretty wierd experience.

I think some of us deal with the same thing in the drive-in world. I know that I tried a lot of the romantic nostalgia stuff when we bought ours. I remembered the cartoons before and after the show, the $5 carloads and the "B" pictures we could run upside-down and backwards and still fill the place up because everyone was drunk... or otherwise occupied... and didn't care.

It took a couple of years to figure out that we had to pay attention to what our local crowd would respond to. Once we did that, the place did fine... but there's only about half the "nostalgia" here that I originally thought they'd want.

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 21:34 #14817

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
They should have sold them by the name of the films ..promo them as a double feature...People do not know what grindhouse is......

Re: Grindhouse 09 Apr 2007 22:45 #14818

• cat
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slapintheface:
They should have sold them by the name of the films ..promo them as a double feature...People do not know what grindhouse is......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that "Grindhouse" as a title seems too inside baseball. Also, it's really puzzling that it was released now instead of over the summer when everyone could have experienced it at the drive-in, which would seem to be the ideal venue for this kind of fare.

Re: Grindhouse 10 Apr 2007 00:05 #14819

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Or midnight shows

Re: Grindhouse 10 Apr 2007 09:49 #14820

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Apparently there are plans to re-release the films seperately.
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2262&Itemid=99

The Weinsteins Break Grindhouse In Two For US Re-Release!! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Robert Sanchez
Monday, 09 April 2007

After a very disappointing weekend at the box office, Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein expressed his distain this morning and plans on re-releasing Grindhouse as two films in the US.

ImageLooks like the box office results were like a big cup of angina for Harvey Weinstein head of The Weinstein Company who were sure they had a big genre hit on their hands with Quentin Tarantino's and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse double feature. The film brought in a lacklustering $11 million for it's Easter weekend debut.

Nikki Finke reported this morning, "Harvey Weinstein told me this morning that he's "incredibly disappointed" with the half-than-expected $12 mil box office for Grindhouse. So much so, that he's considering abandoning the double feature as a single feature concept and re-releasing the movie around the U.S. "in a couple of weeks" as two separate feature-length movies with additional footage put in.

That's what Harvey says The Weinstein Co. is already intending to do with the film's release in Europe: split it into two separate pics, Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof and Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror. "Quentin's movie goes out first in competition at Cannes. He'll do an extensive 4 to 5 month tour. And the trailer will be all Quentin's," Weinstein told me about his European plans. "Then we'll release Robert's a couple of months later.

By splitting it up, we're going to do a hell of a lot better internationally than we did here.' Weinstein noted that, even in Grindhouse's TV deal with Starz Entertainment Group, it's been sold as two separate movies. "Our deal with Encore is that they can play it any way they want.' So this is why The Weinstein Co. is now deciding to suck it up and do in this country what it probably should have done all along. 'First of all, I'm incredibly disappointed. We tried to do something new and obviously we didn't do it that well," Harvey told me today. 'It's just a question of how is it going to hang in there. But we could split the movies in a couple of weeks. Make Tarantino's a full-length film, and Rodrqiguez's too. We'll be adding those 'two missing reels' that's talked about in the movie.' (At one point in Grindhouse, a sex scene is interrupted because of "two missing reels".)"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction