Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 27 Mar 2002 10:24 #14148

If you have to be there in your own theatre I think that you should be allowed to play the music you want to hear. Its just music for cryin' out loud. I say if you can do it then more power to you. I'm shure ASCAP will survive without your fees.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 27 Mar 2002 11:32 #14149

Reading through all these posts, nobody really specifies what the ASCAP fees are, except that they might vary by seating capacity or some other variables.

Can anyone give specific examples of ASCAP fees?

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 27 Mar 2002 14:20 #14150

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
Couldn't find the licensing fees charged by ASCAP, however the Canadian affiliate SOCAN lists its tariffs at the following link. The argument that music adds anything to a theatre (other than to ease employee boredom) is a little weak to me. Anyway, I assume ASCAP is similar:
www.socan.ca/jsp/en/resources/tariffs.jsp

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 28 Mar 2002 01:55 #14151

If you are a member of NATO you can get a free Movie Tunes CD each month. Why not check with NATO phone #818-506-1778.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 28 Mar 2002 07:09 #14152

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
Let's remember that this post originally started with a discussion on what to play in theatres -- not ASCAP fees. Besides working at our movie theatre, I am also a wedding DJ and work at a radio station -- I have never paid for any license and will not start now. Whenever the station gets the SESAC or SOCAN mailer, it ends up in the trash. I agree with Mike -- the music should not be "dumbed down" with mass mailing CDs or your local hits station (with commercials). I can not tell you the amount of times I have sat in the theater in the twenty to forty minutes before a flick begins and heard people say that they liked what they were hearing (on CDs picked out by owners and staff) or wanted to know who it was singing. When music is treated as background wallpaper, it will receive as bland a reception as it deserves. Take a little time to think about it and people might actually view it as just another positive element to seeing a movie in your establishment.
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
with special guest AMY FOX
and opening act IAN PARKER
in a benefit concert
Saturday, May 11th at 7:30 PM
Union Street Brick Church (126 Union Street, Bangor)

All proceeds benefit Community Radio WERU-FM

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 28 Mar 2002 10:44 #14153

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The radio station you work for doesn't pay BMI, SESAC, or ASCAP royalties either??? Your 5 disc changer in the theatre compares NOTHING to that!! It's not a matter of "they won't find out" it's just a matter of "when they find out".

In the mobile DJ world, the issue of paying royalties for music has always been a hot topic of debate. When I play for a "private family performance" (i.e. wedding reception or bar/bat mitzvah), we are USUALLY shielded under the venues "blanket license agreement" with the collecting agencies. If however, we play for a High School Prom or another function where a price of admission is charged to gain access, then we have to pay the collecting agencies, whether we make a cut from the door proceeds or not. We generally inform our clients in advance and include the amount of royalties in our contract price with the client. I have been doing it this way as a mobile DJ for the last 18 years. Works for me.

For drive-in theatres, there is a new company out called "Drive-In Radio" that makes "compilation CD's" of oldies, pop, movie tracks, etc. I have a copy of their "promo" disc that I picked up in Orlando, and it was very well done. The cost for their product is way too expensive to even consider, but it is available.

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 29 Mar 2002 18:54 #14154

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
What about movie soundtracks? I have been searching the ASCAP online database and cannot find any of the movie soundtracks listed that I want to play. Whom do I contact to get licensed? I am not just talking about the soundtrack to the movie that we are currently showing but also older soundtracks like Braveheart, Last of the Mohicans, Somewhere in Time, Gladiator, etc.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 29 Mar 2002 23:12 #14155

Look on the CD label I am sure that each piece is followed by ASCAP or BMI or who ever is the license holder. YOu can also check with th e record label which is usually owned in a round about way by the studio that produced the movie.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 30 Mar 2002 10:18 #14156

Well... to get back on topic...

CINEPLEX ODEON plays something called "Cinema Vibes" which I'm guessing they make themselves in Toronto to play nationally, since the guy keeps saying "Welcome to Cineplex O-de-on"...

FAMOUS PLAYERS has our local pop station HOT 103 record a custom disk that's only approx. 30 minutes long. Must drive the ushers crazy... The morning show hosts for the station are the DJ's in this disc, Andy and JoJo... JOJo sure get's annoying with her high voice... she sort of sounds like Pheobe on Friends, mixed with COurtney Cox! EWW! Whenever you call to make a request, Andy hangs up on you.

Peace out

Andrew
Since 1987

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 02 Apr 2002 20:00 #14157

• john057
  • Fresh Boarder
The theater that I own and run. We use the local cable company's music on their digital cable line up. They have a rep that does only commerical accounts. (The sat. people also offer this same service.) It costs us $150.00 for 4, 350 seat auditoriums plus the lobby. Each plays a different channel of 45 that they have to offer.

When the music police visited and asked about the music that was playing. I informed them to what I was using and they left.

[This message has been edited by john057 (edited April 02, 2002).]

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 05 Apr 2002 10:05 #14158

• Manzanita
  • Fresh Boarder
ASCAP quoted me $60 for 250 seats or less, $123 for 250-399 and $184 for 400+. Per year.
As Jessie Royce Landis says to Cary Grant in "North by Northwest", "Roger...pay the two dollars..."

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 05 Apr 2002 10:09 #14159

• Manzanita
  • Fresh Boarder
ASCAP quoted me $60 for 250 seats or less, $123 for 250-399 and $184 for 400+. Per year.
As Jessie Royce Landis says to Cary Grant in "North by Northwest", "Roger...pay the two dollars..."

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 07 Jan 2007 20:49 #14160

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
It's been awhile since this thread was active. I was wondering if anything has changed for everyone here since the last response in 2002. Those ASCAP fines scared me enough to call NATO and subscribe to Movie Tunes. But that obnoxious female singer singing something about being popular is about to send me over the edge. Fortunately that song is not on this month's CD. Besides wanting to know what music you are playing now, I was wondering about a replacement for Movie Tunes and consequently, NATO membership. Lately, I think Movie Tunes is about the only benefit of NATO membership.

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 07 Jan 2007 23:05 #14161

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
As far as I know, ASCAP is still out there doing their "job". I am still playing Movietunes in my theatres even with some questionable selections on their part, beats paying as I went through that when I ran a small tavern in the absolute middle of nowhere! Made the mistake of advertising a one man band one week end (yes--a one man band--not a DJ). They apparently read the newspaper.

I do not think you need to be a member of NATO to receive Movietunes--they make there money by charging the labels for advertising their product from my understanding???

Re: Theatre Lobby/Auditorium Music 07 Jan 2007 23:32 #14162

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
That is correct. MovieTunes is not a NATO benefit. And you do not need to be a member to obtain the monthly movietunes disc.
Here is their site link. We signed all of ours up with Barbara Stockton.
http://www.movietunes.us/

[This message has been edited by sevstar (edited January 07, 2007).]
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction