Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Startup Help Please?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Startup Help Please?

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 17:34 #13936

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Still in negotiations with the bank on how much money I need. This is why I am getting all of this useful informatin before I actually move in.

Dont want to end up with a mistake that I cant afford.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 18:22 #13937

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Well, I'd sure recommend you get in touch with a theatre supply company. Many of them will sell used equipment. But aside from that, you might need or want seats, drapes, screens and sound equipment. There's only so much you can do on a site like this, or looking for golden nuggets on Ebay, and this looks like a project that's going to take the resources of a supply organization to help you put the numbers together for the bank.

If those seats were really cleaned 4 times in 5 months, I wonder if the upholstery is just shot. Some of them look that way. If you're going to take them out for cleaning, you might consider respacing the rows for better legroom. If nothing else, you might be able to use the extra seats for parts.

Personally, I agree with your notion that the mono sound gear needs to come out. That equipment can't process the sound tracks properly, so it would always be easy for other theatres in your area to do better.

Offhand, the sound heads and projectors look serviceable. I have some of that stuff here. The X60 looks like it has a 3,000 watt bulb, tops. The reflector is metal, but that's not necessarily bad. Can't tell from the picture if it's good, but the bulb looks like it has a lot of hours on it.

I've never liked those Christie lamphouses. None of them were very efficient, until they came out with the SLC series a few years ago. Any decent Super Lume-X or Kneisley lamphouse would blow the Christie out of the water (they make good bulbs, though). In any case, assuming the reflectors in there aren't shot, you might be ok... but you'll probably be running them up to their limits (and running through bulbs faster) just to get a decent picture out of them. I never had any problems with the Christie power supplies.

I'd be really nervous about the platter(s). They (along with most other gear in that booth) look like they've seen a hard life. You might be able to get started with them, but I'd give them a thorough cleaning and inspection, and probably put them on the list for early replacement.

Can't tell anything from the speaker picture you posted. That's just an assortment of various Altec speakers. Your place couldn't operate properly with a hodgepodge of different models. You'll need to get behind the screen to see what's really there.

One of your pictures looks like the seats are oriented way to the left of the screen. Is that just an illusion, or was the theatre once a big single-screener?

The dirt around the heating vents in the ceiling make me wonder about the HVAC system in there. That usually means the filters weren't serviced properly. It might be clogged up as a result.

I'd still explore finding a booker that would give you some information about the market. Given everything that needs to be done in there, some hard numbers would help you evaluate the risk.

Looks like a big (expensive) project to me. But, like Burney said, it does look like it could be a cool place.

Re: Startup Help Please? 13 Dec 2006 19:27 #13938

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
Rodoes right, you have way too many different types of booth equipment and way too old. I have ran many types of projectors from Simplex to Strong or Christie. All are good, but you need just one setup. This makes basic or complex maintenance easier (one company). Speakers, they all need to be one also, JBL is a good preference. Speakers are like tires. Go with a basic and more modern analog processor, Digital later. Find a equalizer also. Fianlly, some amps. All can be found used, but I always recommend new speakers.
Also have your exhaust to each projector checked. CFM's are very important to cooling lamphouse.

Re: Startup Help Please? 14 Dec 2006 00:20 #13939

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
The speakers look like they are A7-8. I cant tell because they are so close the the screen that I would need to take it down. Im sure they would be good it used properly as those suckers are LOUD.

The theater used to be a 1 screen theater, but that was on another side of the building. The seats are positioned correctly for that room though (probably an illusion). The single screen side is a 800 seat auditorium and is HUGE.

The internals of the X-60 look good, but the bulb does need to be changed (i think the meter said it had about 4,000 hours on it) this is also the room that was dim the last time I was there (as a customer).

What are your takes on the surround that was in the pictures? I cant seem to figure out what the silver device is that is on the left of the rack. However, this is used in the biggest room and is too small for that room. That system will be put in the smaller room.

I can get most everything (a/v wise) at wholesale or below. I'm probably going to go with JBL speakers for the surround and DTS for Digital Sound.

BTW does anyone know how to get grants to help restore the place? SBA is no help.

[This message has been edited by juise15 (edited December 14, 2006).]
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 14 Dec 2006 10:02 #13940

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The box on the left of the rack looks like a mono sound system with bass and treble controls... as obsolete as the other mono systems there. I can't tell why they'd put it there... but it also looks like there are a couple of old Altec tube amps, which you also wouldn't normally need. It almost looks like there could be parts of two systems.

The "stereo" rack has nothing you'd want to keep, except maybe the booth monitor. The "SR130" is an early attempt at emulating Dolby stereo, but is intended for the really early prints... like the first "Star Wars". It will not properly reproduce current Dolby SR tracks, has no real noise reduction and can not be used in a digital system. It also has no equalization, so it would be only by pure luck if your system came close to reproducing even unprocessed audio correctly.

The 4-channel amplifier may be ok... until a channel dies... and then you might have trouble getting it fixed. That thing is about 30 years old... which probably explains the presence of the Smart box.

Now that I think about it... how big is the screen in that 800 seat house you mentioned? It could be that the bulb in that lamphouse would be too small, even if it was new and the reflector was good.

If you find the money, you might consider splitting that 800 seat house. You're going to be heating/cooling a lot of unused square footage, as it's not often a film will draw that many people. I'm not sure I'd even keep a 400 seater, though it does make for a comfortable place to open new shows. That's just a personal thing, though.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited December 14, 2006).]

Re: Startup Help Please? 14 Dec 2006 14:37 #13941

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Well would it be realistic, per say, to show budget and first runs? We have 2 first runs here but what if I really want a shot? I dont want to split the large room because I will be holding small concerts in there. You are probably right about the bulb being too small, I just remember seeing some good bright shows there in the past until just recently.

The place is big enough to go 10 screen, but I'm not prepared to do that kind of remodeling....yet.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 14 Dec 2006 22:54 #13942

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
It was confirmed today by the last manager that was running the place that the owner of the theater was trying to run it in the ground
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 15 Dec 2006 14:26 #13943

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Could I possibly get some model numbers from any of you who have used the DTS systems in your theaters? I am open to many different suggestions to the more the better. Thanks!!
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 15 Dec 2006 15:16 #13944

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
6D

Re: Startup Help Please? 16 Dec 2006 01:35 #13945

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
What are your takes on the SMART Mod 7a by SMART? http://www.smartdev.com/cin_prod.htm

I have learned that each screen uses the BACP RSTR-2000 Red LED Soundtrack Reader http://216.92.79.66/readersanalog.htm

SO now all I need to know is a few suggestions for a good analog and digital system and I'm ready to go
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 18 Dec 2006 09:34 #13946

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We have been using the DTS XD-10 and have been very happy. the hard drive in it means you don't have to leave the CD's in and if you move movies from one screen to another the sound is already loaded since we load the sound for every film when we build it so we can move it without problems. We only have three screens so this is not a problem for us. May not be practicale for larger operations.

Re: Startup Help Please? 18 Dec 2006 15:03 #13947

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Well shoot, the owner told me today he wants to sell, but not for anything under 2.5 mill.

The building is 30 years old, about 25,000 sqft. The land is under 5 acres and zoned commercial.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 18 Dec 2006 16:38 #13948

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
You still thinking of buying it?

Seems to me that it needs a fair bit of work doing to it, So a try and knock down the price will do the trick,

Why dont you get a valuation report of the building from a commercial surveyor to confirm the value of a commercial property?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by juise15:
<B>Well shoot, the owner told me today he wants to sell, but not for anything under 2.5 mill.

The building is 30 years old, about 25,000 sqft. The land is under 5 acres and zoned commercial.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: Startup Help Please? 18 Dec 2006 19:09 #13949

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I am planning on doing that. I really think that figure is about 2 million too high. I think part of the price problem is the age of the man who owns the place. He is pretty old and I think that is playing a part in it.

Here is the deal, I attend a church in the old Cinema 6 in town. That place is a bit bigger than the cinema 3 building and was much nicer when it was sold. They paid only $375,000.

Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Startup Help Please? 18 Dec 2006 23:18 #13950

• BPZ
  • Junior Boarder
That is a rip off!! The UA 6 I use to have sold for $500,000. I did need a lot of TLC though.

The old Port Arthur 6 is for sell. Not for sure on the price. Can get you info if interested.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction