Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby what kind of video projector should we get?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: what kind of video projector should we get?

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 22 Nov 2004 11:25 #13836

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have to land with John on this one... sorry, Robert.

The Christie projector does put a pretty decent picture on the screen... especially with an auditorium all lit-up. It's undeniably better than the poorly-lit slides that used to be on the screens in Regal's theatres. In situations where a film projector follows the Christie presentation & the projector has stability issues, the video seems to look "better". I was impressed to hear the surrounds kick in on some trailers that were in the presentation... I didn't expect that. I didn't care much for the length of black between items... but that's just me.

However... even from half-way back... you can see the NTSC scan lines where they would not be in film. Illumination is not as good as with the film projectors, and would likely be worse if the video was forced to fill the full scope screen. It also seems to me that everything is washed through a reduced color pallette. Trying to watch a full-length feature on a system like that would make me feel like I'd just sat through an extended episode of "Dark Shadows"... the old soap that was done mainly on video.

I think the Christie setup is a pretty good advancement past slide advertising... especially with the snack bar integration & the ability to distribute everything by satellite. I wonder if cost/benefit is positive for the bulk of their theatres... that's a whole lot of technology for pre-show ads... but I wouldn't know about that.

Other than that though... I wouldn't be planning to send my film projectors to 3rd world countries just yet!

Oh... as for a less expensive projector for "business presentation" use: I've seen a couple of "BOXLIGHT" brand machines in use around here. They do a pretty decent job in this application.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited November 22, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 24 Nov 2004 21:41 #13837

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Guess I need to see my optometrist. I can't see those lines Jack. And no, I'm not ready to ship my film machines. In fact, if I'm ever fortunate enough to operate my own place I will resurrect some Motiographs, my favorite machine of all times. They put out the best picture I've ever seen. The last pair I ran was at the Varsity in Seattle.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
"Back In The Saddle Again"
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 02 Dec 2005 18:36 #13838

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I'm ready to buy: what projector would you go for now?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 12 Feb 2006 05:16 #13839

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Mike,

Did you get any responses to your last post in this topic? If so, what was suggested or what, if any, did you end up getting?

Thanks,

mannooss

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 12 Feb 2006 14:58 #13840

• Mike
  • Administrator
I did not get any new responses. There are so many options these days. I would deal with reputable dealers so the service can come in. Chect out www.tigerdirect.com

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 12 Feb 2006 21:05 #13841

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
For what it's worth my Benq PB8230 has been reliable for over two years now. It is now time to replace the lamp ($400! ouch) but that is the only thing I've had to do with it.
"What a crazy business"

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 13 Feb 2006 14:50 #13842

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
How many shows do you have per day/week and how long does the machine operate before each show Leeler? Easier question I guess is, how many hours are on that bulb?

I went to the Tiger website and saw that if you order a BenQ PB6240 2700 Lumen XGA 1024 x 768 DLP Projector for $1299 you get a free replacement bulb ($18 extra shipping cost). Ceiling mount is an extra $79. Their site has a little digital projection primer that helps.

What else would we need?

I also have a call in to my cinema supplier to see what they are offering now.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited February 13, 2006).]

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 13 Feb 2006 16:25 #13843

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Sounds like prices have dropped since I bought mine

The bulb is supposed to last for 2000 hours. I usually run mine for the hour before each show. I have mine ceiling mounted (upside down)and have both a computer monitor cable as well as an S-Video cable running from it to the booth. From there I have it hooked into a switch box so that I can easily switch inputs from computer over to television, DVD, video game system, whatever. Don't forget about getting power up there. I did not use a ceiling mount but just have it strapped to the ceiling upside down so that I can adjust the projector to make it level.

One thing I forgot to mention before. When I started out I had it on a small shelf but it hung down too low and it interfered with the film projector. My screen is very close to the ceiling so there was not that much room up there. Hence the straps.
"What a crazy business"

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 14 Feb 2006 18:19 #13844

• Mike
  • Administrator
how do you get to the thing when it is on the ceiling?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 15 Feb 2006 00:08 #13845

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
You asked one of my questions, Mike. Where do you buy that much cable and how much does that cost? How often do you clean the filters?

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited February 15, 2006).]

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 07 Mar 2006 14:59 #13846

• Filmfisher
  • Senior Boarder
We have the LC-X50M video projector, manual lens G52A3008. Purchased from Tracy at American Cinema Equipment. We have a 61'throw. 12'x 32' one screen. We are extremely pleased with both the equipment and service.

Last year was our town's 150 - We dug around in the basement of the historical bldg - scanned them in and had folks walking in off the street just to see the pictures.

We take "First Time Ever to The Movies" pictures with a Kyero digital and show them in our pre movie show.

Neither would win an Oscar for Cinematography but a clear picture is provided.

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 26 Mar 2006 22:21 #13847

At my previous theatre I chose the Panasonic PT-D5500U (DLP) based on it's specs. Although listed at $12k I found it on Ebay from a dealer selling them for $4k (they were 'bottom of the pallet' returns) and we're real happy with it. I've seen it sold elsewhere in the $5k range. At a throw of 60' it gives a picture about 35' wide. At that size it could stand to be a tad brighter but it does the job better than one would expect for $4000.

No matter what projector you get, you should expect to spend quite some time fiddling with it to get it to look good. Ignore the factory presets such as 'theatre' 'videogame' 'computer', etc. except as a possible starting point. I've not worked with one that was out-of-the-box perfect.

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 06 Apr 2006 11:39 #13848

• Mike
  • Administrator
just had a quote of 4000.00 +/- for an eiki lcx60 4000 lumens and no lens so + 1300-3000 more. Sounded way high to me. We're working it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 06 Apr 2006 12:02 #13849

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Actually we paid $12,000 for the Sanyo version of that Eiki projector 3-years ago, so $4,000 is a great price. It's bright, powerfull and will get the job done. You do need a lens for your long throw. The standard lens that comes with a standard conference room projector will make the image way too big for your rooms, or you will have to place the projector in your room.

Call Scott Hicks and run it by him. He has a pretty good feel for video projectors right now as he is placing them in all his new builds.

Re: what kind of video projector should we get? 10 Apr 2006 12:39 #13850

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We too use an ELKI with about a 150 foot throw. We paid oround $6K for it and lens.

Long VGA or combination cables are easy to get. Seach the web or go to any home theatre providor. They are not that expensive. I just got a 75ft VGA extension so I could take my laptop out to the video projector and not have to have the laptop in the booth. It ran $90.

[This message has been edited by dsschoenborn (edited April 12, 2006).]
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction