Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Needing some start up help
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Needing some start up help

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 09:52 #13769

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
About the Christie projectors...

They came from the Houston mall when they did upgrades, and I have personally seen how much light comes from them.

Now for sound, what in the world can I get to bring good surround sound to all of my auditoriums? The one surround system that is in there is going to be moved to the smaller room. Is there just a processor that I need to purchase? I used to do a lot of live sound jobs for concerts so I can hook up some amps and such to get way from what is in there.

Also the screen was horribly dirty. Suggestions on cleaning?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 10:10 #13770

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry the camera that I had was pretty sorry for this use, but it was all I could get my hands on.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 11:49 #13771

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
For good stereo & surround sound you'll some basic items:

Stereo processor.

Amplifiers for the left, center, right, and subwoofer screen channels and a mono surround channel.

A booth monitor unit with enough channels to monitor your system.

Red LED reverse scanner kit installed in the soundhead (should already have this anyway).

A rack (either wall mount or free standing) to put all the sound equipment in.

Wiring the sound rack.

Wiring in the auditorium to each of the screen speakers and EACH surround speaker.

Stands for each of the screen speakers.

Wall mount brackets for each of the surround speakers.

To test and align the system you'll need an R.T.A. (audio spectrum analyzer), pink noise generator, sound system test films, oscilloscope.

There are plenty of used stereo processors on the market and the best are genuine Dolby. Other good ones are Panastereo, Ultrastereo, Smart.

Also movie theater sound is different than live sound.

As to the screen cleaning, that's a frequently asked question and do a search on that topic. It's been covered before.

[This message has been edited by Ken Layton (edited November 29, 2006).]

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 14:00 #13772

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Ken's got most of this covered pretty well.

The co-operator is old, but a working one should be reliable... until it isn't. In any case, it indicates a pretty simple operation, since the co-operator doesn't do much more than get the show on the screen and fail-safe the projector. I replaced mine with TA-10s, which seem to be an appropriate upgrade.

Are there any dimmers in there? I didn't see any.

The sound system in your picture is most definitely mono, and is not usable for a stereo upgrade. For that matter, they don't have noise reduction, so the sound can't be that great as it is. They look a lot like what Kelmar was selling for a mono amp/booth monitor system. When you go stereo, keep in mind that you might want (need) to go digital some day. Amplifiers and speakers should be sized for that eventuality, so you don't have to replace them.

Whether you can use the existing screen speaker for stereo depends on whether you can get more of the same model and what shape the one you have is in now. You want them to be as equal as possible, so tuning up the auditorium doesn't become a problem.

I'd bag the idea of cleaning your screen. Good results are not a sure thing, and new ones aren't that expensive. In any case, it's likely that any masking and surrounding coverings are as dirty as the screen is now.

Aside from a new bulb, don't put any money into those Christie lamphouses. They're obsolete and weren't much good when they were new. The power supplies however, are good... assuming they're working properly. Find yourself some decent Super Lume-X or Kneisley boxes & that'll take care of your lighting issues.

I assume the X-60 lamphouse is for the larger auditorium. As Ken said, they were top-class for their day (early '70s). If the reflector is in good shape and the wiring hasn't become brittle, you should be OK there. the glass reflectors were by far the best for that model. If you have one, treat it carefully, because they don't make 'em anymore.

Looks like the snack bar is functional... nothing much wrong with that.

As for the varied color scheme(s), Will Smith probably said it best in "Men In Black"... "Get a decorator in here, because.... damn!"

The rent/insurance is way too high for a triplex. Get copies of the landlord's insurance... you should only be reimbursing at his cost. He might be trying to pad it at your expense.

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 15:01 #13773

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I found some other video of the place at my job (i work for a television station). so I will youtube that video when I can.

Also what do you mean by "pad". He claims the place needs to have 2 million dollar coverage with 80% payment or something like that. I am sure I could tell him I want to get my own insurance and be done with it. Are there any more specs that I need to get? The video actually shows the theater rooms better.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 29 Nov 2006 17:20 #13774

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Also what do you mean by "pad". He claims the place needs to have 2 million dollar coverage with 80% payment or something like that. I am sure I could tell him I want to get my own insurance and be done with it.

That might mean that the insurance pays 80% of any covered loss.

By "pad", I mean adding more to the insurance bill than he is actually paying. I can't imagine the owner's been paying $7,500 per month on a $2 million policy. $90,000 per year seems a bit steep. Are you sure that figure isn't a yearly amount?

Generally (and others here can add/correct this) the landlord/owner will carry fire protection on the building, which he will bill back to you in a triple-net kind of lease, or otherwise fold into the rent. You'll need to get personal liability insurance as a tenant, as well as any desired coverage for your contents.

You probably will not have the option to replace the landlord's fire protection, because he won't want to be stuck if you have a problem and your insurance doesn't pay up.

Re: Needing some start up help 30 Nov 2006 00:33 #13775

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
OK what is funny is that I attend a church which is in an old United Artist 6 screen theater (building is a bit bigger than mine). I found out that they only pay about 2200 a quarter for insurance.

Does anyone know how much insurnace is on a 25,000 sqft theater with 80% payment with fire and such?

I might end up with the same company my church has. Also does sprinklers make a difference? And if so where do they need to go?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 30 Nov 2006 11:34 #13776

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sprinkler systems do make a difference. There location depends on your local building and fire ordinances/codes. Most of the time sprinklers have to go everywhere! You'd be looking at $250,000 for sprinkler system. Sometimes the local codes require sprinklers to be connected into a sophisticated fire alarm system thus adding even more to the costs.

Re: Needing some start up help 30 Nov 2006 13:13 #13777

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I dont remember seeing sprinklers anywhere (which is odd). I wonder why this has never been addressed.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 30 Nov 2006 22:46 #13778

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
I dont have all the numbers by no means but box office was (for June and July) $14600 and $15500. Now this is just for box, can this be any indication of how well the place will do when fixed up?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 30 Nov 2006 23:30 #13779

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited December 01, 2006).]

Re: Needing some start up help 01 Dec 2006 18:54 #13780

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
Ok found this out today. About 8000 a year for insurance on the building. Now they building DOES NOT have sprinklers and we have 90 days to get in there before I would have to add them.

The building is old enough to be grandfathered without sprinklers.
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 01 Dec 2006 21:39 #13781

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
thats why its empty........$100,000 plus for sprinklers

Re: Needing some start up help 01 Dec 2006 21:50 #13782

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
talk to me about getting grants to help with the restoration. how does one get those?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

Re: Needing some start up help 02 Dec 2006 00:27 #13783

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
grants will come if you can show historical value,developement zone........
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction