Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Movie memorabilia in lobby
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Movie memorabilia in lobby

Re: Movie memorabilia in lobby 22 Jun 2006 14:06 #12875

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
I have a display case that I loaded up with original and replica props from "Batman" "Back To The Future" "Star Trek" and more.

I advertised that I had these items and I didn't see any real increase in the number of people coming just to see them.

It was more of a lobby novelty....I got LOTS of great comments and lots of "Wow!"'s but other than that it was more for a place for me to display my stuff and get it out of my attic where nobody was enjoying seeing it.
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Movie memorabilia in lobby 23 Jun 2006 14:45 #12876

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
For me it's the same as going into Applebee's or House of Blues. It adds to our atmosphere and supports our mission. Outside / one theatre we are art deco painted, neon sign, and have an elephant on the roof! It continues our moto from the outside: the show starts on the sidewalk! And it keeps going in the lobby, the bathrooms, the theatres, the staff outfits, the whole ambiance.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Movie memorabilia in lobby 27 Jun 2006 02:09 #12877

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
Sounds great.. we have loads of stuff we could display..but i don't know how to go about it..do you put things in display cases around the lobby?? Can anyone share some pictures of their displays?

Re: Movie memorabilia in lobby 27 Jun 2006 08:08 #12878

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Learn a lesson from Carnegie Hall: they had an autographic ('actually-written-by the signer') letter from Tchaikovsky framed on their wall until someone realized its worth and stole it. Reportedly it later appeared on a European auction site and sold for $100,000! Your items may not be worth that much, but sure as shootin' someone will prize them more than you do, so make sure "irreplaceables" are not on display; put only photocopies or recreations of them on display.

For lesser items you must still keep them behind thick glass or plastic, unless you are able to hop onto the Net and order a replacement item for overnight delivery when your item is again stolen simply because it is easy to steal.

Don't think that your good and kindly managemant style will preserve your exhibits or the theatre itself. When I advised the 1895 PABST Theater not to put an irreplaceable 1960 painting of the theatre out without being behind glass, they scoffed at the possibility of damage or theft in their classy theatre, but since they hung it on the wall in the lower lounge it has had its original attached "Pabst Blue Ribbon" literally ripped off, and now that the frame is openly scarred it is only a matter of time before vandals desecrate or steal the remainder of the painting. Visible damage has the effect of inspiring more vandalism, as is well known!

In the former WARNER there were ornate, 2-foot-long tassels hanging beside the velour draperies and someone just pulled one of them hanging within ten feet of the seats, down and somehow smuggled it out of the building. It may not have been so vital as to close the theatre, but it left an unbalanced effect, and such decor costs around $2,000.00 EACH to be custom remade these days by such as Scalamandre Silks! Of course, it was never replaced.

Sooo, your dear patrons may make hash of your exhibits and decor unless you carefully plan their protection first! After you plan protection you can plan welcome artistry.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 27, 2006).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Movie memorabilia in lobby 27 Jun 2006 11:52 #12879

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Jimor has an excellent, excellent point. Vandals and thieves exist everywhere- never think they won't attempt to grab your precious one-offs.

Personally, I wouldn't display a photocopy or replica of something that is real somewhere else because the whole point for the patron is to see the genuine article. However, make your display case as close to museum quality as possible. If it's something 3-D like a prop, encase it in a 2-3" plexiglass box, mount it to the wall/floor, and attach an alarm wire to it that is connected to your central theater alarm. If you light it well with an overhead spotlight, it will look very nice. For posters, paintings, etc., the same holds true. Often, the cost of the case/alarm/lighting comes close to the cost of the item itself, but it sets your mind at ease.

Lastly, schedule weekly (if not daily) case cleanings by your employees. There's no bigger turn-off than attempting to view the prize behind dust and buttered popcorn fingerprints.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction