Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts!

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 11:09 #12205

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Out of Frame - You are correct in your observation that The Bubble has generated much more publicity than it would have had it been released directly to DVD. But you didn't really expect them to start a highly controversial experiment with a major title?

The point is - The simultaneous release snowball has been started rolling down the hill and once it get going there is very little chance of stopping it.

Look at the collapse of the DVD release windows - which in my opinion has done more damgage overall to the theatrical business. Other than (i) the high profile movies that need to be seen on the big screen (ii) speciality items that have a niche audience and (iii) family films, most people now wait for the DVD for the average film (how else to explain that "The Wedding Date" became such a big hit on DVD). It has been the disintegration of this middle film market which hurts the most. And with the average release now only 3 to 4 months from date of initial release (and continuing to shrink as that snowball picks up speed) I see the theatrcial fate as being sealed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 11:12 #12206

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by muviebuf:
<B>Out of Frame - You are correct in your observation that The Bubble has generated much more publicity than it would have had it been released directly to DVD. But you didn't really expect them to start a highly controversial experiment with a major title?

The point is - The simultaneous release snowball has been started rolling down the hill and once it get going there is very little chance of stopping it.

Look at the collapse of the DVD release windows - which in my opinion has done more damgage overall to the theatrical business. Other than (i) the high profile movies that need to be seen on the big screen (ii) speciality items that have a niche audience and (iii) family films, most people now wait for the DVD for the average film (how else to explain that "The Wedding Date" became such a big hit on DVD). It has been the disintegration of this middle film market which hurts the most. And with the average release now only 3 to 4 months from date of initial release (and the window continuing to shrink as the snowball picks up speed) I see the theatrcial fate as being sealed.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 11:16 #12207

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Something got screwed up when I attempted to edit my last post. Please delete the duplicate posts.

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 11:25 #12208

• Cue Mark
  • Fresh Boarder
One of these days, one might hear a patron say, they will wait for the movie to come to the movie theatre, rather than buy it on DVD. If this becomes the case, we will not have to worry about windows anymore, because there won't be one. Then we can worry about something else.
More later Cue Mark!

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 17:50 #12209

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Yes, outaframe is correct, as it was meant to be tongue in check. I'm not about to throw in the towell anytime soon. But, I admit that there is a lot going on to worry about, but I'm lucky enough to be in a position where it won't effect me nearly as much as most of you.

I've been in this business now for 40 years. My present theatre for the past 35 1/2 years. Unlike most of you who are still relatively new to the industry (10 years or less), and because of that fact, still carry enormous debt. I on the other hand have paid off my mortgage, and have no outstanding loans or financial commitments of any kind. My theatre building has a number of stores and apartments that are fully rented to the extent that should the theatre close the income from the remaining units will more then pay the taxes, insurance, and maintainence, as well as still turn a profit for me.

The fact that my theatre is a former vaudeville house with full stage facilities, orchestra pit, fly loft, dressing rooms green room etc. will allow it to remain as an operating theatre, even if not a movie theater. I turn down many requests for live show rentals only because most want to use it only on weekends, and I'm not willing at the present time to give it up on those days.

I have always kept the possibility of having to convert to a live show policy in my mind over the years. For that reason, those portions of the building have been maintained in excellent condition "just in case". During the past several years I have had the dressing rooms and green room renovated into like new condition, even though they are presently only used about a dozen times a year.

If I didn't have that to fall back on, I would be worried about the present leanings of the movie industry. It does look glum. Yet I still don't see anything happening overnight, and expect to be in the movie business for a number of years yet.

For those of you that have just begun in recent years, be careful of your debt load, and try to pay it down as quickly as possible. It wouldn't hurt to start looking for other income avenues both in and out of the theatre to help substain it.

And for those of you just thinking about starting in this business... well I hate to say it, I would advise against it. Unless you have a lot of money you don't mind losing on an expensive hobby, now is not the time to go into the MOVIE theatre business.

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 01 Feb 2006 19:35 #12210

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, that sounds like the ROXY we all know and respect... AND, as usual, his views EXACTLY parallel my own, so all is right with the world... I agree that we have a LOT of alligators snapping at our asses right now, and the BIGGEST are short DVD windows and Digital Projection... This is just another fly in the ointment, for the present... Whether this grows into a 20 foot monster is up for grabs, but we can't just ignore it and hope it goes away... Nobody said life was gonna be easy, and right now the theater biz is taking a lot of lumps...

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 02 Feb 2006 09:33 #12211

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
part two of the article just came out....
http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=9386
"What a crazy business"

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 02 Feb 2006 11:37 #12212

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Sadly for most theatres the term "other forms of revenue" means on screen advertising.

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 02 Feb 2006 12:06 #12213

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I guess my biggest fear with simultaneous releases is that everybody can then have the product that I do albeit with diminished quality. Thus, every bar, could simply pop in a DVD and be showing the same movie I am. Some guy could buy a dozen recliners and put them in a vacant storefront with a widescreen TV and call it a "theater". Granted, this would break the copyrights of the DVD, but that doesn't seem to stop the bars from playing every sporting event under the sun. I'm sure they're not paying for them.....

Thus, I'm left with wondering what other sources of revenue might I consider to replace the movie one that seems to be eroding (at least, the possibility of erosion is there). I still think digital cinema has the possibility to save us, in the short run. I could have art-house night. I could have classics night, I could even have Monday Night Football or Major League Baseball, etc. The doors really open wide when you consider the possibilities. If these avenues of revenue were to open up then they could support a smaller house like mine, I would think. I guess what I worry about then is if I can survive the change and if that change is really going to take place as is written about today. I've become very skeptical lately....
"What a crazy business"

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 02 Feb 2006 13:59 #12214

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
LEE, here's a spinoff of what you're talking about... The local public library (that my tax dollars are helping support) has two programs that tick me off big time... As soon as the DVD hits the market, they buy it and have a free monthly "Morning Movie" complete with free popcorn featuring the latest kiddie pic shown on the big screen TV I helped pay for... They also have a monthly discussion group (for the egg heads) who view the latest art film (again with free popcorn,) and discuss it... Then, these DVDs, along with hundreds of others, are available to check out for home viewing... They are "cozy" about not naming the kiddie pic, but an idiot could recognize it from the promotion the newspaper prints for them in the (free) public announcements... They don't even bother hiding the titles of the art films...
I could probably put a stop to this practice IF I raised enough stink, but the bad press would likely more than offset the amount of loss right now, however sooner or later I'm going to have to do something about it... IF they decide to try this when day & date simultanious release actually becomes the norm, think of the implications!...

<> PS <> Maybe I didn't make this clear: this is NOT a hypothetical situation, it is ongoing as we speak and has been for MORE than a year... The ONLY hypothetical is the day & date simultaneous release...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited February 02, 2006).]

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 02 Feb 2006 21:30 #12215

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I hear you, 'frame. Now imagine groups of guys (and gals) getting together all over the country and having a movie night at each other's houses to show off their latest whiz-bang on their home theater. They're showing the same movie I am and heaping praise on one another's systems. The movie costs far less for them and they feel they're getting the superior experience to boot. No, it is NOT the same as going to the theater, but, I think the general movie population of which we all make our money doesn't care near as much as WE do about the superior presentation. How do I compete with that? I think the bottom line is we have to hold on to the hope that the finances don't work out for them to handle things this way. They need to sell far fewer DVDs and internet downloads, et al. for this thing to go down the drain where it belongs.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 03 Feb 2006 18:57 #12216

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This is total nonsesnse this Bubble Movie. I think all the theatres that play it should be boycotted and branded as sell outs.
I can't beleive anyone would even consider playing this.
Here in NY there are union projectionist playing it and coudln't beleive that the unions didn't band togehter and boycott it.
Really pisses me off and everyoneinvovled in this. I am also an indy film maker and would never subject to this or be part of it.

Re: Bubble opens Friday and I hope it bursts! 10 Feb 2006 09:59 #12217

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Every day and date release dilutes the value of everyone concerend. There was an old rule in corrupt NYC: "when someone offers you money take it." I don't blame Soderbergh for taking the money. But stars and directors increase their pay by having cache' and by being in demand. The unknown will clamor to be in anything. The known stars who acquired their stardom the old fashioned hard way may choose to cash in a bit, dip the pinky, but beyond fun they will be risking their career for a studio head's wet dream. The idea that this mercury in the ether shall be easily captured reveals a lack of comprehension on those who dream or live in fear.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction