Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks?

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 30 May 2004 12:56 #10627

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That's a common retort from miffed customers... and,unfortunately, some of their parents.

As our policy runs about the same regarding no refunds to ejected patrons, we tell them that we'd be more than happy to meet them in small claims court. They can sit at that table, we'll sit at this one... they can tell the judge they didn't get their money back, then we'll tell him why. To date (18 years worth), we haven't had any takers.

If you pay your cover charge at the bar, then get rowdy and tossed out before the band starts, do you get your cover charge back? Probably not.

If you get drunk or otherwise obnoxious at the ball park, and security tosses you from the stadium, will you be stopping by the ticket booth for a refund on your way out? Probably not.

It's not a difficult argument to make, and once the patron cools his jets a bit, he generally realizes he doesn't have much of a case.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 30 May 2004 13:12 #10628

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
I like what you said about asking the patrons if they want to go to small claims court. I think I'll have to tell that to my manager so that if that problem comes up again, she will have something to tell them and hopefully it'll keep them quiet.

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 30 May 2004 16:38 #10629

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
When these situations come up you can expect that the parents will ALWAYS feel that their kid has been discriminated against, and you are the bad guy... Years ago I had a long standing problem with 3 redheaded brothers... The oldest (about 11 at the time) was absolutely rotten, the middleage brother (about 10 then) was nearly as bad, and the youngest (about 8) was a great little kid... One night I caught the oldest intentionally making a disgusting mess in the mens room... He was immediately tossed out, and about half an hour later he returned with his Mother... She had blood in her eye and was ready to stand up for her little darling... She just knew her son wouldn't do anything like that, but I had caught him in the act, and after allowing her to vent her anger towards me, I told her the other two were still welcome, but the oldest was banned for the next month... She finally stormed out after making a batch of unreasonable threats, and I was delighted to observe that as soon as they were outside, she knocked the crap of her little sweetheart!... The younger brothers continued to come once a week, and I never had any further problems with them... When the oldest brother was allowed back in, he tried his crap a couple of more times, and was sent packing with another 30 day ban... He finally got the message, and I had no more problems with them... They are all long since grown up with kids of their own, and whenever the oldest brother comes to a movie, or I see him somewhere else, he is respectful and friendly, and seems to believe he was treated fairly all those years ago!...

The problems with customers ALL seem to stem from the fact that they are convinced you are there as a public service and they buy unlimed rights to do as they please when they buy a ticket... Well, we are there to serve them, but not submit to any crap from them, and their rights END at the point they infringe on everyone else's...

As to seating provisions, I respaced my seats with nice wide aisles and plenty of leg room... I eliminated the "booker seats" and overcrowding, and even the side seats in the front row are a bit more than 1 screen height from the screen, and are a comfortable place to watch the movie from, so even late comers will be able to find a good seat... IF they buy a ticket AFTER being told that they will likely NOT be sitting together, I do NOT make refunds based on seating preferences, NO EXCEPTIONS... I go to extremes to try to make the customers comfortable and satisfied, but when we're working at near capacity, it's like going to your favorite restaurant, bar, or sporting event on a busy night, and COMMON SENSE has to come into play... That means they can't expect to find their favorite seat available, and will need to make some adjustments!...

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 31 May 2004 15:15 #10630

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Outaframe... sounds like you've got things well figured out!

Last night, we had wall-to-wall cars. Our place was stuffed. Out of a crowd like that, the odds are that you'll have one fly in the ointment. This time around, it was a couple of women who decided that we had started the show too late for them, and wanted refunds. Unfortunately, they couldn't manage to be civil about it and I wound up being called in to deal with the mess.

Sometimes, when all attempts at diplomacy fail, I use a comparison that seems to connect with the irrational. I tell them that if I go to their house, I'm expected to follow their rules. If they don't like me, they can remove me from their property... legally, if necessary. After getting them to nod their heads a bit on that, I spring the trap by telling them that they are in MY back yard. The theatre is private property... mine... I get to make the rules in my yard, and I can also have people removed... legally, if necessary. If you have someone who's bound and determined to argue for the sake of it, that frequently takes a lot of the wind from their sails.

Oh... that same comparison works pretty well when dealing with jerks in big SUVs after they've driven a donut on your grass. "Tell you what... after we get done here tonight, my staff and I will stop by your place and drive donuts all over your front yard... that'll be OK with you, right? Now... if you'll just give me your address..."

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 31 May 2004 21:02 #10631

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
when i get down to 25% seats left in the auditorium, I go to the auditorium to assist in seating. At that point, my cashiers instruct the customers that groups larger then 2 will likely have to split up, and seating is towards the front. At 10%, single seats only, until ZERO.

Re: When ticket buyers want to refund their tiks? 13 Jul 2005 00:25 #10632

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I went to the multiplex 60 miles from here (where it was still 107 degrees at 8:00 p.m.) today to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I purchased my matinee ticket for $5 and bought a large popcorn and large soda for $9.50 (!!!!). I immediately walked over to the ticket taker and gave him my ticket. He said, "Oh, that film has been cancelled. You'll have to see something else." You all know my response to that. He then sent me back to the concession line and said I would get a full refund. The concession guy said, "We will give you your money back on the ticket, but not on the concession items." I told him I wasn't paying $9.50 for a soda and popcorn that I hadn't touched without seeing the movie of my choice. He called up the nice manager who came out a few minutes later. I got a full refund with an apology and he told me I could keep the concession items anyway. Would you all have done that? (At over 107 degrees, that soda tasted pretty darn good.)

I did ask what the problem was with the movie and apparently the platter malfunctioned and didn't take up. He said there was film all over the floor. That must have happened on the previous showing because I was about 20 minutes early for my show. I don't think I want to see that print now.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited July 13, 2005).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction