Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Movies

Re: Old Movies 16 May 2005 22:04 #10274

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
VicRock:

In my opinion those running the corporations today are not showmen but a new generation of "bottom-liners" who have fallen victim to the distributors and the misconception that the more screens and hi-tech paraphernalia you have in your house the more successful you'll be. Most corporations fight each other for the same product and book from corporate headquarters without any knowledge of the demographics where there houses are located, other than in the very large urban areas, (and they wonder why receipts are down).

After spending the better part of a year with a large corporation I have lost any respect I may have had for that type of operation, primarily because they do not have at heart the best interest of the communities in which they are located.

Having vented about that let me say this:

The guy running the single screen speciality house may not make as much as the big boys but he can delevelope a steady clientel that respects and appreciates his efforts to cater to their tastes and will have the satisfaction of knowing that and his customers.

The corporate big boys are not going to be concerned about the single screen speciality house as they have the mentality I mentioned above as they cling to the "bigger is better" and "we've got to have what the distributor is promoting" syndromes.

As a private film club I can access more product than the chains (as new as a few months after the break back to the silent era) when I want for as long or as short a run as I want. I can stock my concession stand with whatever I want to cater to the customers tastes and can set my prices wherever I want (which will be well under the chains prices).

A private film club is not allowed to advertise in the public media or on a reader board. But there is the club news letter, the answering machine and a web site. If you attempt to run a non-profit and book your films from Swank or Criterion you will be under the same restrictions. If you book from the film distributors you will not have as much product to choose from.

I plan to have my booth equipped to handle 35mm, 16mm and DVD. I am planning a smaller auditorium (perhaps 100 seats or less).

A private film club requires a lot of promotional work. You can promote the club in any media you wish (you just can't promote the film titles as I mentioned).

I'd say, if you have a passion to run a single screen specialty house go for it and don't concern yourself about the corporate big boys. They are too busy fighting each other to even notice you.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Old Movies 16 May 2005 22:05 #10275

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
VicRock:

In my opinion those running the corporations today are not showmen but a new generation of "bottom-liners" who have fallen victim to the distributors and the misconception that the more screens and hi-tech paraphernalia you have in your house the more successful you'll be. Most corporations fight each other for the same product and book from corporate headquarters without any knowledge of the demographics where there houses are located, other than in the very large urban areas, (and they wonder why receipts are down).

After spending the better part of a year with a large corporation I have lost any respect I may have had for that type of operation, primarily because they do not have at heart the best interest of the communities in which they are located.

Having vented about that let me say this:

The guy running the single screen speciality house may not make as much as the big boys but he can delevelope a steady clientel that respects and appreciates his efforts to cater to their tastes and will have the satisfaction of knowing that and his customers.

The corporate big boys are not going to be concerned about the single screen speciality house as they have the mentality I mentioned above as they cling to the "bigger is better" and "we've got to have what the distributor is promoting" syndromes.

As a private film club I can access more product than the chains (as new as a few months after the break back to the silent era) when I want for as long or as short a run as I want. I can stock my concession stand with whatever I want to cater to the customers tastes and can set my prices wherever I want (which will be well under the chains prices).

A private film club is not allowed to advertise in the public media or on a reader board. But there is the club news letter, the answering machine and a web site. If you attempt to run a non-profit and book your films from Swank or Criterion you will be under the same restrictions. If you book from the film distributors you will not have as much product to choose from.

I plan to have my booth equipped to handle 35mm, 16mm and DVD. I am planning a smaller auditorium (perhaps 100 seats or less).

A private film club requires a lot of promotional work. You can promote the club in any media you wish (you just can't promote the film titles as I mentioned).

I'd say, if you have a passion to run a single screen specialty house go for it and don't concern yourself about the corporate big boys. They are too busy fighting each other to even notice you.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Old Movies 16 May 2005 22:08 #10276

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
OOPS!

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Old Movies 17 May 2005 01:45 #10277

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Pretty cool, Robert!

Put one post in front of each eye... grab a couple of polaroid filters and presto!... 3D posts

...Just as you'd intended... right?

Re: Old Movies 17 May 2005 02:47 #10278

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Adds DEPTH to what you have to say!... Just shows to go ya how EASY it will be to screw up computer downloads of DC movies, IF that's the final adopted method of the process...

Re: Old Movies 17 May 2005 10:38 #10279

• VickRock
  • Fresh Boarder
Bob-

That was so helpful, I actually read it twice! Seriously, many thanks for the encouraging words. I figured the fork in the road would come sooner than later; it's good to know what my options look like up front.

Vick

Re: Old Movies 17 May 2005 10:49 #10280

• VickRock
  • Fresh Boarder
Actually, Bob, I do have one more question.

Let's say you put your private film club in a neighborhood that gets decent walk-by (or drive-by) traffic. Because it's a private "club," will you have to turn away people who decide on a whim they'd like to spend a couple hours watching old movies and eating popcorn?

I'm thinking maybe you can take "walk-ins," but it would be necessary to charge a premium ticket price, as your club members have all paid upfront subscription fees to get into the films for less. Is this right?

Thx again.

Re: Old Movies 17 May 2005 13:46 #10281

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VickRock:
<B>Actually, Bob, I do have one more question.

Let's say you put your private film club in a neighborhood that gets decent walk-by (or drive-by) traffic. Because it's a private "club," will you have to turn away people who decide on a whim they'd like to spend a couple hours watching old movies and eating popcorn?

I'm thinking maybe you can take "walk-ins," but it would be necessary to charge a premium ticket price, as your club members have all paid upfront subscription fees to get into the films for less. Is this right?

Thx again.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The club will be open to members and "guests". Anyone who is not a member is a "guest" whether a guest of a paying member or my guest. Anyone coming off the street would be a "guest". "Guests" would be charged a higher admission than members (another reason for guests to become members).

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Old Movies 18 May 2005 12:11 #10282

• VickRock
  • Fresh Boarder
That's what I was hoping you'd say. That's really great!

Now, as far as "no public advertising," I'm thinking that refers mostly to no newspaper, TV or radio ads. But does that extend to flyers not directly mailed to film club members? Would posting flyers you'd mail to members in local shop windows be stepping out of bounds?

How about a marquee? I'm sure you must be allowed to put a sign out in front of your place. Is there some rule that says it can't be bigger than, say, the width of your front doorway?

You are a prince for answering these questions for me. I'm certainly indebted to you in some way. How much is your club membership?

Re: Old Movies 18 May 2005 23:08 #10283

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
A reader board (marquee) would be out. You might get away with putting a poster on your building but posting flyers or posters on other buildings would be prohibited. If the building you plan to us has a reader board you could post "FOR FILM CLUB INFO DIAL 123-4567. SHOWS NIGHTLY" and leave it up. As I said you can promote the CLUB anywhere you want.

The annual fee I am considering at this time is $25 per person, $45 per couple or $65 for a family of three or more. Members admission would be $3. "Guests" admission would be $6.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Old Movies 19 May 2005 11:36 #10284

• VickRock
  • Fresh Boarder
Again, many thanks. And best of luck!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction