Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Do you wish you still had 35mm?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you wish you still had 35mm?

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 05 Aug 2013 15:33 #40180

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
I was an early doubter and I doubted for a long long time. But having converted and reaped the bennies of a better picture, no scratches, ease of print delivery, better sound, consistent picture and quality, the incredible ease of trailer packs, and on and on.... I do not miss 35 MM at all. How about you?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 02:20 #40183

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I miss the 75k per screen I had to spent. Seriously everything you said is true and I enjoy it as well, but if I had the choice I'd keep the money.
Jay

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 03:04 #40184

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
I object to the way we were forced into the upgrade.

That said however, the money was well spent.

At my drive-in, I had already converted to digital sound. My projectors were well-maintained and I had some of the brightest lamphouses available. I had Schneider lenses and a rock-solid picture. Still, the switch to digital was a substantial upgrade that has been noticed by my customers.

Would I go back? Nope. I like the 5 pound drive boxes, and the convenience of being able to move movies and trailers around the screens with the push of a button.

If anything, it's that I've effectively automated myself out of a job. 45 years in the booth... and there's no need for that anymore.

So, I walk around the place like a proud papa... acting like I own the place (actually, my wife and daughter really do! :-) ).
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013 03:05 by rodeojack.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 05:33 #40185

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Well I still have both and hate the 35 mm with a passion ..
I have digital and 35 still on both screens , why did I keep it , we play Rocky Horror every week in 35 as well as the Room .
Being in a big city we do have plenty of customers that love 35 mm so I have played some 35 all summer !

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 05:38 #40186

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I have played 3 first run films in 35 mm last 3 months :
Smurfs 2
Only God Forgives
Man of Steel

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 15:51 #40187

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
With video projection now there is no excuse not to include a cartoon with the feature!

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 18:57 #40188

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Keweler wrote:
I miss the 75k per screen I had to spent. Seriously everything you said is true and I enjoy it as well, but if I had the choice I'd keep the money.
Jay

So you are not getting VPFs, donations from your community, or seeing labor savings? The big chains will actually make money off of this switch. Looks like a small owner here and there will do the same too.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 21:49 #40189

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
Rufus,
You seriously annoy me with that stuff. If you don't have problem signing a loan for 150k, purely based on the promise of some third party that they will pay you, that's your thing. I had/have eleepless nights over the fact that I owe on my equipment twice the mount that my house is worth. Labor savings? Yeah, I now don't have to spent 3 hours each Thursday in my booth anymore, but rather spent it somewhere else fixing other things. I am happy the big chains make money of this, I for one will have lost half the money and most of my hair when all is said and done. Do not make it sound like this a huge blessing for us!
Jay
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013 21:50 by Keweler.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 06 Aug 2013 23:14 #40190

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
I was just wondering how Rufusjack's theater was doing in regards to VPF's, community donations, and labor savings. I decided to Google it. It turns out his theater closed about a year ago, with Rufus saying that there were issues with digital transition and problems with his location and landlord. Perhaps his comments are due to his personal hardship.

I was unaware of this, Rufus. Sorry to hear that happened to you. You often provide valued input on the forums, but sometimes your words can be seen as harsh. If that's what you intend, then you are succeeding. If not, then you might want to consider the tone.

I know that I wasn't a great success as a theater operator, since my location closed three years ago after a short run. But I do have first hand knowledge of what it feels like to shut the doors on my theater for the last time, just like you.

I don't resent the success or continued survival of others. I love to read what they write and hope I will never discourage any of them.

Cheers,

Lionheart
Owner
Gentry Cinema (closed and for sale or lease)
Checotah, Oklahoma

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 07 Aug 2013 01:09 #40191

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't have VPF as I self financed my projectors , I would never do a Vpf ...
That being said I have not saved any money going digital as far as payroll 5 days a week we still have a full time projectionist to run our digital and special events. .
We do have an above average amount a rentals up to 35 per month that requires mics and lighting .

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 09 Aug 2013 01:48 #40198

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Jay,

There was a quite a bit of sarcasm in that statement: 1) The whole keep silent process regarding VPFs just annoys the crap out of me. 2) the promises that were given form the VPF intergrators to the studios (or lack of in many cases) to the VBG and more. 3) many for-profit theaters have done very well in getting money from their communities. Some have raised so much that they were able to pay for overdue maintenance to their facilities. iDeserved? Who knows. 4) There are theaters that have saved on labor.

Jay, I cannot recall having any issues with you. I apologize for you taking my tone wrong.

Lionheart,

I operated a theater for 6 years. The deadline for VPFs was fast approaching. (end of last summer/early fall) We (my wife and I) had decided that we did like the business and were willing to go forward with the next phase with this theater. That phase was going to be a very nice theater that we could be proud of. (stadium retrofitting, additional 3 screens going from 4 to 7, new seats, pretty much a full renovation) The problem was did it make sense to invest the resources needed to complete the needed phase. I had all of the paperwork ready to make the digital transition but the owner of the property (which is why I have tended to be not a big fan of leasing property) did not want to make some changes we thought from neceassry starting with the basic one of not letting the roof leak.

The digital transitional just caused the timing of the closure.

Anyway, yes I am honest. If that comes across as harsh to some so be it. Someone needs to combat Bob's rose-colored glasses advice he gives. If I can save someone from losing their home or other valuable assets.............like a load of cash then I am happy with my contribution. I am not trying to sell someone anything: not by consulting services, booking services, equipment, or even closed for years theater.

I may get back in to this business someday which is why I still follow the industry.

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 09 Aug 2013 15:06 #40202

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
That was a good, honest, sincere post, Rufusjack. I also do my best to be honest. I try not to comment much on things I know little about, or to paint rosy pictures where none belong. I've even been known to throw buckets of ice water on somebody's hot dream about opening or running a theater. I can't help it. I always tell people who contact me about my theater exactly what kind of business I did and the challenges they will face. Maybe that's one of the reasons my theater is still for sale.

But, I also am willing to share the opportunities when asked as well. There are still opportunities in the movie theater business, but they aren't as easy to bring to fruition as some might think. I think the secret to success lies in developing innovative business models. It lies in being willing to go where that model makes sense, instead of just staying in the same city or state you've always been.

I still think smaller scale operations in smaller towns can make sense. They will never make anyone "rich", but they tend to have lower expenses to go along with their lower revenue. That could result in a good living, or at least the beginnings of something. Did I execute my business plan well? Not really. I ended up being too traditional and not innovative enough. Not every theater is suited to run the exact same way theaters have run for years.

What would be an innovative business model? I'm not sure. I know it will embrace modern trends and technologies. It will build excitement and interest from the community. It will make the theater a regular part of customers' lives instead of a place they rarely visit. Will it involve selling meals or alcohol? Will it include live entertainment? Will it have art films or repertory flicks, or focus strictly on mainstream movies? Will it be all digital from the beginning? Will it build a following on Facebook and Twitter? Will it send texts and pics to smartphone centric customers? Will it have movie clubs or kids programs? Will there ever be free shows or cheap nights? Will it serve upscale clientele or shoot for the discount seeking crowd? I don't know. All I know is that I wasn't innovative enough for my location. Statistically, my location would work well based on the low expenses it generated. If numbers don't lie, I must have done something wrong.

Why did I stray to talk about my own small town location that is closed and for sale? It's because Rufusjack brought it up. I am one of those that has a "closed for years theater" he mentioned. It has been closed for over three years now, but it's getting a new metal roof today! It didn't have a metal roof before, so it's getting better with age.

To bring it back to the original topic of "Do you wish you still had 35mm?", the answer is that my theater still has it, but I wish it had digital. Maybe then I could sell it. Sigh...

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 11 Aug 2013 13:55 #40212

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
I wonder how theatre owners would feel, hypothetically, if the studios were to reverse course and decided to discontinue digital distribution and go back to 35mm film, buying back the digital projectors in the process, and financing the repurchase and re-installation of 35mm projection equipment like they did with the VPF deals. Of course, this is only a hypothetical question, and there is a -110% chance of this ever happening in the real world, but if it did, who here would want to go back to dirty prints, 70 lb film cans, double or triple the shipping fees, and the labor cost of building up and tearing down shows? No more 3D would be a good thing for most movie goers, but a lot of theatre owners (and studios) have lined their pockets with the 3D up-charge scam. I'm guessing most theatre operators, including myself, would rather hold on to their digital projectors, by quite a wide margin.

A wise gentleman and a fellow theatre operator once told me, that what's good for the industry as a whole will also be good for me, in the long run. This has proven to be true for digital projection, whether I liked the process of converting from 35mm, or not.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 11 Aug 2013 14:29 #40215

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
Ken Layton wrote:
With video projection now there is no excuse not to include a cartoon with the feature!

Ken,

Daylight savings time probably had more to do with killing the short cartoon features, that and increased studio licensing fees. I would prefer to start my second feature 10 minutes sooner, than play a cartoon before the movie.

There just aren't enough drive-ins left anymore to make the studios receptive to licensing and administering a cartoon program for drive-ins. All of the Pixar movies come with their own shorts attached, most of them are very cute and entertaining. A few of the other studios do something similar with their animated movies, occasionally.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcnamara

Do you wish you still had 35mm? 11 Aug 2013 19:40 #40218

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
The last time I ran cartoons was back in '06. WB would not send me a single cartoon but a reel of 6. I tried running them the first night. Had to cut it to 3 for the rest of the run because of a couple of complaints. But it was good to see all the old WB characters.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction