Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Latest prediction for when film will be gone?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Latest prediction for when film will be gone?

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 01 Aug 2013 18:27 #40165

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Now that summer is heading into the final stretch anyone want to predict when film will finally end? I have had absolutely no trouble securing prints all summer but this should change soon according to some.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 01 Aug 2013 20:04 #40166

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
How many screens do you have? As a 2 screen I always have problems finding things I want to show (or films that people want to see) in September/ October. I can ony imagine that, that gets worse when you are still on film. Might be a good time to take a vacation.

Jay

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 01 Aug 2013 20:40 #40167

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
I have seven screens with five converted to digital. I plan on waiting to the bitter end before converting the last two. Just not sure when the end will be.....

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 01 Aug 2013 23:05 #40168

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
My guess is it will be at least a decade before distributors get everything they have on a hard drive if then. The first to go will be general release stuff. That last to go will be what's in their retro vaults. I wonder how many are still laughing at me for saying a couple of years ago that we will still have film for 2 or 3 years.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 02 Aug 2013 03:06 #40169

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I am laughing and crying .... As 100 s of Theatres are closing all around us because they can't get prints . My prediction was most films would be gone by first half of 2013 , I thinks that's were we are .
3500 runs on a film and 150 are 35 mm is not what I would call film availability . Will be less by end of year !

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 02 Aug 2013 12:38 #40170

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Not seeing theaters in Maine closing...just one that I know of so far. As to availability have had the film companies placing two prints in Skowhegan(population 8000) one print at the indoor and the same movie at the drive in just two mile away. Both were being served first run product. I am certain that move over houses are facing a much more difficult situation with fewer prints being available three and four weeks later.

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 03 Aug 2013 20:01 #40171

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
so far the reported death of theatres has been greatly exaggerated. Yes a few have closed but keep in mind that also wipes out all expectations and debt from the previous owner and the theatres are now available and all that's needed is digital and now more and more used stuff is circulating. So...... don't count them out.

I have a 3 screen digital, a 2 screen 35mm, and book other theatres ... I've opened nearly everything I wanted this summer on 35mm..... but when will the end come....????

I would have thought at Christmas the film distributors would have made the big announcement "After XMAS 2013 there will no longer be 35 mm film " But it did not happen. And here we are at the end of the summer. I expect the end to be announced from season to season but it has not happened. I do think that when the time comes it will be at least 6 months to 1 year warning. When? Any day.... but who knows.

But: every theatre that converts means that many fewer 35 mm prints so theatre by theatre the demand and availability of 35 mm prints shrinks smaller and smaller and there is absolutely no doubt about it.

There is no doubt about it: anyone who has digital likes it loads more than film.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 04 Aug 2013 15:15 #40173

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
My recollection is that the majority of the talk about switching to digital had to do with people wanting to re-open close theaters and buying theaters for sale. In almost all of these cases Bob you were telling them that you thought that going digital was not necessary. To me, that was horrible advice as a theater is a long-term investment.

Also, I do not recall anyone saying that they thought that film prints could not be had this summer. I know I was pretty clear saying that I thought that film was going to available this summer as well as for the holidays this year. September & October? You better be patient. 2014? I would not bet on it. Now if I had a theater that was still film but I could not justify going digital without fundraising; I would keep it open as long as I could. Would I sign a long-term lease in this situation? Hell no!

As far as theaters closing or threatening to close; there have been plenty this summer. The following list was compiled using a Google News email that I get daily for just the past week!

In my area, another 4 screen closed this summer. They were a discount theater.

As far as buying opportunities for buying these closed theaters? I would caution anyone to sit back and wait. I still believe there needs to have some dust settle before anyone jumps in.

Theaters that have closed this summer

MovieStar Cinema - Gun Barrel City, TX www.cedarcreeklake.com/lake-life--Cedar-...o-help-it-reopen/885

Main Place Cinema - Seven Points, TX

Uptown Theatre www.uticaod.com/news/x1383326765/Go-digital-or-go-dark?zc_p=1

Hardacre Theatre - Tipton, IA qctimes.com/entertainment/movies/hardacr...19-d8c572e3a8cb.html

Vinegar Hill - www.readthehook.com/109945/last-picture-...loses-after-37-years

Florence Cinemas - Florence, OR www.dailyastorian.com/free/go-digital-or...e5-001a4bcf887a.html

Theaters that are threatening to close unless they raise money

Valley Cinema - Little Falls www.uticaod.com/news/x1383326765/Go-digital-or-go-dark

Strand Theatre - Old Forge www.cedarcreeklake.com/lake-life--Cedar-...o-help-it-reopen/885

Adirondack North Country Association - launched a “Go Digital or Go Dark” campaign to help eight area theaters raise funds

www.uticaod.com/news/x1383326765/Go-digi...o-dark#ixzz2b0zcvb96

Eveningstart Cinema - Brunswick, MA www.theforecaster.net/news/print/2013/07...een-raise-mon/168358

Skyline Theater - Colorado: closed after a failed kickstarter campaign in June, starting a do-over now www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/news/ci_237...kickstarter-campaign

Kennedy Theatre - NW Indiana www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/7/30/histo..._must_go_digital.htm

Harbor Theator - MI (not threatening to close but needs to raise money for a second projector-basically reopening a closed theater with only enough funds to switch one of two auditoriums) Slaps old client? www.mlive.com/entertainment/muskegon/ind...under_new_owner.html

Columbian Theater - Astoria, OR www.dailyastorian.com/free/go-digital-or...e5-001a4bcf887a.html

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 04 Aug 2013 15:28 #40174

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Current Kickstarter Campaigns

Colombian Theatre - Astoria, OR
Empire Theater - Block Island, RI
Rogers City Theater, Rogers City, MI
Kiggins Theatre, Vancouver, WA
Andover Theater, Andover OH
Saguaro Theatre, Wickenburg, AZ
Wayne Theatre, Bicknell, UT

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 04 Aug 2013 22:42 #40176

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting that the Florence Cinemas has closed again Jack. I checked it out three years ago but before I could get any financial backing it was sold (apparently to the people that just closed it). It's a three screener with lots of potential. There is not another theatre within 30 miles. I suspect it closed because of poor programming and management. It has excellent 35mm equipment and there are still prints available. But yes, the digital conversion will need to be made within the next couple of years.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013 22:43 by revrobor.

Latest prediction for when film will be gone? 05 Aug 2013 02:46 #40178

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Kodak still has a major contract with the studios to continue providing billions of feet of 35mm film for the next several years:

finance.yahoo.com/news/kodak-reaches-mot...-film-150000177.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: ttroidl

deaths over reported? 05 Aug 2013 15:31 #40179

• Mike
  • Administrator
The Evening Star Cinema listed as closed is open and showing the Way Way back.... in 35 mm. They are raising funds to stay open with digital.

The point is: this is going better than it was predicted and closings are not in the tens of hundreds.... and who wishes they still had 35 mm? Not me.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

deaths over reported? 05 Aug 2013 20:04 #40181

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike wrote:
The Evening Star Cinema listed as closed is open and showing the Way Way back.... in 35 mm. They are raising funds to stay open with digital.

The point is: this is going better than it was predicted and closings are not in the tens of hundreds.... and who wishes they still had 35 mm? Not me.

Evening Star is listed as "Theaters that are threatening to close unless they raise money".

Maybe you can find the thread or news story where theaters were going to close because film was not going to available this summer. My recollection was that only Fox was hinting that film would not be available after 2013. I do not recall anyone saying that film would not be available this summer. Now plenty of us said that Sept & October were going to be tough and you needed to be patient to get a print.

I would say that everything is going as expected. Plenty of theaters closing. Plenty threatening to close if they do not raise the money.

deaths over reported? 05 Aug 2013 21:59 #40182

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
I considering leasing a closed theatre and equipping it with 35mm change-over which will probably be mostly free. I'll run with that for a couple of years while I raise money for digital. I'm not worried about the availability of film. especially on older and foreign product.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

deaths over reported? 07 Aug 2013 21:27 #40192

• Mike
  • Administrator
"threatening" and closed are two different situations as many have threatened to close to help raise money in one way or another.

www.mlive.com/entertainment/muskegon/ind...under_new_owner.html here's one that closed and is now reopened... don't count them out till they are gone.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction