Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby (R) rated features
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: (R) rated features

(R) rated features 22 Feb 2005 20:53 #9884

Theatres have to check for patrons being 17 years of age in order to view a (R) rated film. In this day of age with terrorism and realities of war most young adults should be able to witness a (R) feature at the age of 16. It seems almost childish to think that if your not 17 you may not be mature enought to handle the content.

Does anyone believe it will eventually be lowered ???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: (R) rated features 22 Feb 2005 23:21 #9885

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Not likely!... The ratings system has been around for 36 years, and was originally set up to take the heat off film makers and allow them to make movies with more adult oriented themes... Society today is probably further to the right than it was then, and likely to seek even more restrictive control...
Remember that the ratings are voluntary (not the law) and that it falls to the individual theater as to how strictly they are enforced locally... If you choose a more liberal interpretation, and are ready and willing to take whatever heat your interpretation may or may not stir up, you are the one who will be in the line of fire if there is a outcry... What do you believe your community thinks to be the acceptable age to watch R rated movies?...

Re: (R) rated features 22 Feb 2005 23:30 #9886

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Actually, the rating system is not a law as most people believe. Go to www.mpaa.org for all the details. The rating system is actually only a guideline for parents to decide if they think their child should watch a certain movie. The movie companies are not even required to submit a movie for rating, the system is completely voluntary. If they decide not to submit a movie for rating, then they are not allowed to use the G, PG, PG-13, or R ratings on that show. Most theaters abide by the rating system to keep on parent's good side. Therefore, it is a parent's decision to let a child under 17 watch an R rated movie.

Re: (R) rated features 24 Feb 2005 15:15 #9887

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Many children under the age of 17 think that they are mature enough to handle R rated movies. However, their behavior speaks differently. Adults don't particularly relish watching adult themed material with packs of youngsters in the audience taking an otherwise serious subject and laughing, talking, screaming, getting up and moving around the auditorium etc, because they cannot handle the subject matter portrayed. I have no objection if under 17s are accompanied by their parents into the movie as their parents can monitor their behavior better than I (I hope). We had a particularly bad time with the PG-13 rated The Grudge. The few adults amongst the teens could not handle all the screaming and talking to relieve the tension felt by the teens. Got more complaints from adults (and refunds) than I have ever received. We won't be booking anymore teen horror films.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction