Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: snow

snow 23 Jan 2005 14:24 #9719

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Mike mentioned snow in the Northeast. We got our fair share in Iowa too. That's our second 8 inch snowfall in January, with a good freezing rain in between! Anyway, my question is what does this do to your crowd in general? We still did OK, but not outstanding. I thought it'd kill a show or two entirely but I think it just damped it a little bit and I ended up getting more people from in town and less from the surrounding area. How about you?
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: snow 23 Jan 2005 14:50 #9720

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Snow in any form actually KILLS businees for theatres in this area (Eastern Pennsylvania). One inch will drive away 50% of our business, two to five inches 75%. Six inches or more 90 to 95%. Yesterday at noon we had about 2 inches, and I got 21 people for the matinee which I had expected 100 or more for. By evening we had 6 or 7 inches and lots more on the way. I closed down and didn't run the evening shows. Today, Sunday, the sun is out but the wind in blowing and there is a lot of drifting. I canceled the 2 PM show as the parking lot wasn't cleared yet. It is now cleared and I'm opening at 3:30 for the 4:00 PM show and will stay open for the 7:00 PM show as well. It will be slow. I'll be running with only two other people other then myself.

I send out special editions of the theatre e-mail newsletter to keep people informed. I update the phone message and the website as well.

I'll let you know how well (or poor) we do.

Re: snow 23 Jan 2005 15:51 #9721

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
well, that is the beauty of living upstairs, I guess. We had our show on Friday after it had been snowing for several hours and while it wasn't great it was about 50 or so. The late show, however, was only three people, but it was either hang out in the concession stand or hang out upstairs, so it was really no big thing. Those fifty people were almost all from in town (several walked to the theater). Now that we are open seven days a week I hope to not pin all my hopes on my three big shows (Friday at 7, Saturday at 7, Sunday at 4) and if there is some reason why we have an off night we can maybe recover during the week. Time will tell.....
"What a crazy business"

Re: snow 23 Jan 2005 16:38 #9722

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
We were hit with about 16" of snow which started just prior to matinee on Saturday. While the lot was clean for the evening shows, the roads weren't so we had to cancel all shows for saturday evening. I really didn't want the employees traveling in that mess anyway. This is about the second time in 10 years I had to close for weather. That is going to hurt for this weeks income.
lance

Re: snow 23 Jan 2005 17:07 #9723

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
12 inches of very dry snow! Blowing and drifting this weekend has KILLED attendance. With two new films opening for us this weekend, I would have thought that someone would venture outside. Ugh. Why do I continue to live in Wisconsin?????

Re: snow 23 Jan 2005 20:27 #9724

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
And now to report the results of opening on this cold windy snow covered (12 in.) day.

The 4:00 PM show of "Shall we Dance" had 9 people, if no snow it would have been 150. The 7:00 PM show had 13 as the Eagles game was over. I'm only about 55 miles north of Philadelphia, so this is big Eagles country. I would have expected about 100 or slightly more tonight had there been no snow. Just shows what a double wammy snow and football together can produce.

Re: snow 24 Jan 2005 11:46 #9725

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
MovieGuy, we continue to live here in Wisconsin because there are no Tsunamis here within recent memory. But then again, I wouldn't want to be on the shores of lakes Superior or Michigan if they had an underwater earthquake! Our cinemas would be the last of our concerns at that point.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: snow 24 Jan 2005 14:17 #9726

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
Please send it all to southern BC, where I came for a winter of skiing. Today it is 9 degrees C or nearly 50 degrees and sunny. Rained all week and we haven't much left, so please send it along! Ocean currents have conspired to send warm/wet weather from Hawaii, it's kind of a freak thing called the "pineapple express". I used to like pineapples! Foot or two of snow last weekend, and then rain........

Re: snow 25 Jan 2005 01:50 #9727

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
It might just be in my part of Wisconsin--but I (and the supper clubs) do very good business when there is a snow storm--It seems as if people in this area want to see how hard it is to make it to where they are going. The surprising thing is that alot of these customers are seniors.

Re: snow 25 Jan 2005 07:59 #9728

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm with you wimovieman. some of my customers see it as a challenge. We also get a fair amount of people who actually walk over.
"What a crazy business"

Re: snow 25 Jan 2005 12:23 #9729

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Sunday it was snowing hard in the am and going to be so until 9:00 PM so we diecided to show the matinee and for the first time in 10 years: closed the Sunday night shows. Just because of the wind and snow and dark combo.

Plus the Pariots were about to dismantle the Steel Wall and Maine is serious about the Pats and the Sox.

Roxy: say farewell to the Eagles, they had a good run, but they are going down. Go Patriots! I am still having a hard time adjusting to them as a dynasty. Sort of a reverse on the Celtics.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: snow 25 Jan 2005 23:16 #9730

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
You guys are right about the Seniors making it out to the movies. Out of the handful of patrons Fri-Sat, 95% were Senior citizens.

Re: snow 27 Jan 2005 13:23 #9731

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
The snow really affected our business. At our 4-screen, we only had people come to our matinee show on Saturday and no customers for the evening shows that night. Our single screen did okay on Saturday night, but I know we would have had double the customers had the weather been nicer.

Re: snow 28 Jan 2005 00:09 #9732

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Mike... I'm not much of a football fanatic. I do enjoy watching games on TV, but usually don't root for any particular team. Last year I did root for the Patriots.

This year I feel somewhat obligated to root for the home team... the Eagles. However, after discussing this with my 25 year old son, who is the ultimate walking encyclopedia and statistician on sports of all kinds, I was informed that after analyzing all the stats from this season, he predicts the final score will be 31 to 7 for the Patriots.

That has got to put a smile on your face.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction