Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Painting cement floor in theatre
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting cement floor in theatre

Painting cement floor in theatre 13 Dec 2004 21:14 #9566

• bentham
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone have any suggestions on what paint to get? I couldn't find anything in the archives about painting floors
It's around 3500 sq. ft.., and we would like to paint over top of the original, dull, red paint.
We are removing all the seats to paint. Please let me know, as we are planning on doing this during the week of Christmas

Thanks!

-Eric
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 14 Dec 2004 00:58 #9567

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Removing all the seats to paint? Wouldn't it take less time and work just as well to tape off the legs and use a brush to go where the roller cannot? We used to paint my old 327 seat theater every few years with an oil based porch and deck paint. Hit it with the power washer first (gives the sump pump a god workout), let it dry for 48 hours, then tape and paint. Worked well for us.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 14 Dec 2004 11:03 #9568

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Since you are removing all the seats, perhaps it would work to rent a commercial spray painting machine; it might go faster and cheaper, but with any paint, be careful of how it dries and the fumes it probably will produce. Ventilation may be a key concern for you, and just leaving the exit doors open may not be enough. And can you leave your doors open in sub-freezing weather and what if vandals walk right in?

As to paint, perhaps the type with a grit in it to encourage traction would be best if you have bare aisles and a slope to the floor (I have found that not every cinema has carpeting)? There is even a type with a faint glitter that might spruce things up and still add a small amount of traction. Then again, a type of mottled effect can be achieved with some spray nozzles and this might be good for under seat areas so as to show the least dirt. As to durability, perhaps www.ConsumerReports.com has some back articles on the subject, though you must subscribe to be able to view their Archive. They may also touch upon those paints that can be applied over non-peeling old paint, or whether or not a primer is needed. Best Wishes.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 14 Dec 2004 11:08 #9569

• Mudbrother
  • Senior Boarder
In consulting with a painting expert about our own floor, we were told to get a truly long lasting paint job on the floor in our building, we would need to 'texture' the floor a bit, either through acid etching or light grinding. And then an enamel paint (with a long curing time.) We need to repaint our floors, but I highly doubt we will be able to remove our seats, grind the concrete and repaint anytime real soon. I am probably going to have to settle for masking the seat legs, getting a good wash with TSP and painting.

-Rance

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 14 Dec 2004 20:29 #9570

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
What type of "red paint" is currently on your floor. because if its oil based, anything other than oilbased will peel off when applied over it. We actually have a latex paint on the auditorium floors. I acid treated the bare cement and then painted it to be sure it would bond, and not peel off. So far, so good.

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 15 Dec 2004 10:49 #9571

• bentham
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the replies so far. As for the paint, how can I tell if it's oil based? The owner will probably not remember. Thanks again

-Eric
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieGuy:
What type of "red paint" is currently on your floor. because if its oil based, anything other than oilbased will peel off when applied over it. We actually have a latex paint on the auditorium floors. I acid treated the bare cement and then painted it to be sure it would bond, and not peel off. So far, so good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 15 Dec 2004 14:51 #9572

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
The only part that wears is where the feet go!

Think about a "faux" paint job. Extra colors swirl it on, sponge, crinkle paper, etc. It will look better longer.

No one is getting the feet near the legs enough to wear paint. Do not remove seats to paint. That would be like removing the walls of your house to paint the ceiling. Rope off a portion. Paint after last show or very first thing in AM. Ask paint professionals for advice.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 15 Dec 2004 16:27 #9573

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Chances are that if the paint is "old" it is also oil-based (most floor paints are) and about the only way to tell is to burn some chips of the paint: if it produces a black smoke that smells like burning oil, you can bet that it's oil-based... MIKE'S suggestion to stipple a "texture" on the floor makes a lot of sense... I had a men's room floor that had a zillion coats of peeling paint, especially around the areas that are constantly wet... I scraped off all the paint that would come off with a old sharpened wood chisel, and painted the floor with a good quality exterior latex/acrylic flat paint, then stippled a design with a sponge using two other colors of the same type paint... When that dried, I gave it two coats of the clear vinyl topcoating that's used for those "confetti" type seamless paint-on vinyl flooring systems... That produced a waxy non-slip surface which didn't peel, wore like iron, and looked great... It lasted nearly 20 years, but is finally showing its age, and I can't find any more of the coating to do it again... IF you can find the coating, it will do what you need, but doing an area as large as you mentioned is going to be a LOT of work!...

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 20 Dec 2004 11:38 #9574

• Driordan
  • Fresh Boarder
We have a painted floor and it peels everytime soon after they re-paint it. I think we may have had oil on it first and now they are re-painting with acrylic; it peels up in the same spots each time. Last time they painted, they sanded down the chipped parts and also cleaned with some sort of stripper/cleaner. Inside of six months after they had done all this extra work, it peeled worse. Also, whatever paint they use each time has awful fumes; they actually stripped our throats the first time they painted with inadequate ventilation! Now, I stay home when they paint...if they want to inhale deadly fumes, it's their problem! I think the idea of texturing a floor is interesting, but would it make it hard to sweep? I have seen the acrylic coatings on multiplex floors, right over the naked cement, and, although it looks undone, the floors seem to withstand a lot of abuse. Perhaps with the right clear coat over the right paint (oil or acrylic) a floor paint job would last longer.

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 21 Dec 2004 09:22 #9575

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm also about to paint our floor, which is peeling paint over wood. We just got a new set of rocker chairs and we'll paint when we install these.

Is wood any different? I was just planning on sanding and putting on latex.

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 21 Dec 2004 10:07 #9576

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a wood floor. Do not use latex. It does not hold up. (Remember you will have one of the universal solvents spilled on it - Coke syrup.)

After many years my painting guy finally found something that really worked. It is an industrial type oil based paint from Duron - Duraclad High Performance alkyd Gloss Enamel Urethane Modified.

The real secret is to srub, sand and prep the floors BEFORE painting.

Another tip is to add a small amount of play sand (like you use in a kid's sand box) to the paint as you are painting. Makes it a little gritty but greatly reduces the slip factor when a painted oil wood floor get wet.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited December 21, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited December 21, 2004).]

Re: Painting cement floor in theatre 21 Dec 2004 23:20 #9577

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you Moviebuf. I'll look for that brand. Does it smell a lot? And does it take a long time to dry? We're doing a few rows at a time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction