Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend?

What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 25 Nov 2004 15:11 #9503

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi. This will be our first time at either theater where Christmas and New Years (both eve and day) fall on the weekend. We still need to figure out how we are going to schedule our movies for these 4 days since they all fall on the weekend. What have all of you done in the past or what do you plan on doing this year? Will you keep your regular movie schedule, do extra shows, take out the last shows, etc? Any information that could be provided would be great.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 25 Nov 2004 15:15 #9504

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
We are doing the same thing we've done for the Christmas and New Year's holidays the past four years...close after the matinees on Christmas Eve to allow our employees to spend the evening with their families. Open for a full day Christmas day. Close after the 7:00's on New Year's Eve. Open for a full day New Year's Day. It's simple and works no matter what day of the week Christmas and New Years fall on.

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 25 Nov 2004 18:47 #9505

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
We are playing our regular shows on Christmas (Polar Express) and New Years (Incredibles). For New Years Eve we will be showing Casablanca for our late show, then have a champagne toast!
"What a crazy business"

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 26 Nov 2004 01:07 #9506

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Christmas Eve - last show 8:00

Christmas Day - first show 3:00, play full set, including midnights

New Year's Eve, New Year's Day - open full set of shows, including midnights

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 30 Nov 2004 12:40 #9507

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the help. We are still a little uncertain about what we are going to do. At our 4-screen, normally our last show for all days are 8PM. It probably wouldn't be too bad to stay open for the 8PM show on all of those days, as long as we get people to work on those days. We still need to figure out what to do at our single screen. Our normal showtime is 8PM Fri-Sun. We thought about either closing on the Fridays (Christmas/New Years Eves) or just doing an early show on both of those Fridays that way we can spend time with our families. If anyone else can let me know what you plan on doing for these 2 weekends, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 30 Nov 2004 22:20 #9508

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
On Friday the 24th I run a 1:00 PM matinee only. I would get no one on Christmas eve. I wouldn't want to be there myself, so I wouldn't make anyone else leave their families either.

Christmas day I don't run a matinee, but open for the 2 regular evening shows at 7:00 & 9:00. I think Christmas for the most part is over by 5:00 PM.

New Years Eve and New Years Day, I run a full schedule... a matinee and two evening shows. The staff is out by 10 on New Years Eve, only I must stay until the end which will be before 11:00. I'll be back with my wife and friends by 11:30 to usher in the New Year.

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 01 Dec 2004 11:14 #9509

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
.....call me old fashioned but I like Christmas and being with my family. Ten years of running the theatres and what we do is close early Christmas eve after a matinee show and we are CLOSED Xmas day. 363 days a year we're open. We do get complaints. I think to myself "get a life" but I do realize not everyone has a 30 goofy member family that likes to get together, eat, open crap, sing karaoke.

This year is particularly bad because of Fri-Sat double whammy loss. Film co's are not happy either!

We are open with two shows on New year's Eve!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 02 Dec 2004 14:44 #9510

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
We are in the entertainment business (sometimes it's even inspirational and educational too) and should be open when most people are off work and looking for some relaxation. I've been in this business for more than a quarter of a century and don't remember ever having Christmas off.

You need to do whatever you can in the way of promotion and booking to maximize your business on those days.

leeler:

Where do you get your classic prints (like Casablanca) and are they in good shape?

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
"Back In The Saddle Again"
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 02 Dec 2004 16:14 #9511

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm getting Casablanca from Warner Bros Classics. I got 'Philadelphia Story' from them last year and it was in some pretty rough shape. I'm a newbie and I'm not used to all of the splices and cuts in film. You are an old hat and it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal to you. Still, it was not in what I would call bvery good shape (although it did leave here in pretty good shape). We'll see what happens with Casablanca but I'm blocking off about twice the amount of build-up time as usual for it.

Last year we weren't open for Christmas Eve but we weren't normally open that day anyway. This year, with it being on a Friday night I can't help but think there is gonna be a bunch of business out there. How have Friday Christmas Eve's been for you all in the past??? Christmas Day on a Saturday? Got to be some business out there, right?

[This message has been edited by leeler (edited December 02, 2004).]
"What a crazy business"

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 02 Dec 2004 16:43 #9512

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Leeler: Friday night Christmas Eves are not like other Friday nights. If there is one day per year that it is useless to be open it would be Christmas Eve every year. We've had enough experience with it to know that the best thing to do is schedule one matinee anywhere between 12:00 noon and 2:00. Then close the doors and go home when the movie is over. Some years we have seen a total of 6 people all day. What we actually do however, is run all our regular matinees and skip the evening shows. We consider that our most special time as we will be open Christmas day and we must be in 2 hours before the first show for cleaning. Some Christmas Days are excellent IF it doesn't snow and you have the right product.

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 09 Dec 2004 09:12 #9513

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
ixnay on the eve. Open for the 25th but 24th? Fugetaboudit.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: What to do about Christmas/New Years on the weekend? 09 Dec 2004 11:46 #9514

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
"This year is particularly bad because of Fri-Sat double whammy loss. Film co's are not happy either!"

I used to worry about the film companys' attitudes because I don't run my place on July 4... and haven't for the past 17 years. My booker thinks that since I'm sticking with a habitual practice that's been in place for a while, the studios aren't likely to complain. So far, it's never been an issue.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction