Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby independent films
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: independent films

independent films 09 Nov 2004 10:52 #9254

• mbesson
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Folks! I've been spending the last two days reading through your website. Thank you for providing such wonderful information! You've all been a huge help so far.

My friend and I are thinking of opening (buying) a 4 screen theater devoted to independent films. The local theater we're considering was closed in September and moved to a 10 plex at the local mall. It will need renovations, new equipment, chairs, the whole 9 yards. I've been reading the posts about competition and average attendences but here is my question. Do I have to consider the 10 plex competition if we'll be showing different types of film? The nearest theater showing independent films is an hour away. My city's population is 21,000 and the county is 87,000. This doesn't include the surrounding counties, none of which have an independent theater.

Basically, is a theater dedicated to independent film have a chance of surviving?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: independent films 09 Nov 2004 12:14 #9255

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
There are a number of cinemas showing 'Independent' (or "Indie") films around the nation. Landmark Theatres is possibly the largest chain specializing in this area. Whether or not it will work in your area will depend upon just how faithful your market is to this product type. The vast majority of filmgoers go to the mainstream films which benefit from the big studios' major advertising dollars, both individually and in conjunction with some cinemas. Your task is to determine how large your specialty audience potentially is. Sine it is often the younger set that frequents arty, independnt or 'experimental' film, you might look at how many college students are nearby. Are there coffee shops with postings of films being shown on-campus? Is that close enough to affect your location? You might try to befriend a local videos store manager and find out what percentage of their rentals are of similar Indie-produced or specialty videos. Is there a public library in the vicinity that also has such videos available? If so, can you get them to estimate the circulation of such titles? You might also phone the local film bookers directly and ask them about the success of such tiles in the area and the potential they see for more.

Other posts here have spoken of film tracking services such as the tabulations one sees in magazines such as BoxOffice and Variety. Lastly, you might try to strike up a conversational relationship with the "10-plex" people to gauge their attitude toward new competition, since they are in a position to suddenly devot one or more of their screens to the same titles (possibly fromt he same booker) should they get wind of your intentions. Competitors often try to nip their competition in the bud, even if they only intend to bankrupt them and then return to their previous policy, and this AFTER you have invested a large amount in your little multiplex. Consider local traffic conditions too: is there sufficient parking and road access compared to the mall location? Are poeple willing to walk to your place in sufficient numbers in your climate? The mall serves as a 'magnet' for the new multiplex; what is the attraction or 'magnet' near you? What is to be your advertising means that will work at a price you can afford, since the Indies can do little to help you in that way as compared to the help the majors will give the mainline 10-plex? Will your small ads be lost in the din of the big guys? Best Wishes.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited November 09, 2004).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: independent films 09 Nov 2004 13:14 #9256

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Depends on your town. Also: how agressive will the 10 plex be about playing "art"? Many smaller art complexs exist very agreeably in the shadow of the plex. If there is interest in your type of film; you can do it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: independent films 10 Nov 2004 10:01 #9257

• Mudbrother
  • Senior Boarder
I can share a little experience for you, as we are in a similar situation. Not more than 10 minutes away (and serviced by cheap public transportation) is an 11-plex mall cinema. We are a single screen, independent, sub-run, renovated downtown 1930 movie theatre. While we do show artsy films, we don't delve too deeply into the obscure artsters. For example this month we are showing: Zatoichi, Shaun of the Dead, Stander and Motorcycle Diaries. We do fairly well, even when we show something the mall has already played. We have a strong sense of showmanship and take pride in our exhibition. So now, people will actually wait to see a movie here at the Lyric rather than go to the mall. They get a better movie going experience for a cheaper price. So it is possible to operate an artster with a cineplex around. As the others have said before me, beware that they can (and probably will) show some of the same product as you, even if you are an arthouse.

Good luck!
Rance
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction