Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby The Minority Audience
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Minority Audience

The Minority Audience 14 Oct 2004 10:09 #9107

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
There seems to be a trend by producers these days of producing more films that are directed towards the monority audience. Or are they really the minority? I was out in L.A. a few years ago and it seems that the Anglo Population is fastly becoming the minority, at least out there. I have no problem with the trend towards miniority films, but do you ever see the day when all movies wear sub titles? You have the Spanish and Asian Channels on t.v., could it come to the theatre?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Minority Audience 15 Oct 2004 09:04 #9108

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I think it will most definitely come to that. Look at the rapid expansion of the Secondary Audio Program feature of current broadcast TV, and how that will expand greatly when full digital TV arrives in a few years. These days not every immigrant (legal or otherwise) is eager to learn English, since the old 'melting pot' concept is gone if it ever really existed. Each group is proud of their language heritage and jealously guard any encroachment upon it. As movies eventually go digital, there will much greater means of including a multitude of languages, as opposed to a single sound track as today. Eventually, projection from film stock will be passe, and screens will be sheets of color LEDs of tiny size and with this computerized array, it will be very easy to reformat the image for subtitles, if desired, but more likely is that the digital data will simply switch to a separate audio program shipped with each movie. Every producer will learn to make five or ten simultaneous 'sound tracks' of data during every production automatically. It will be standard and considered part of the cost of doing business. It may even happen, that if cinemas continue to survive, they will do so with heavy duty headphones mounted on every seatback, so that the patron seated there can merely pick up the headset and set a switch to the language they want. A fiber optic line will connect all such 'audio/data stations' and even patron satisfaction buttons on the control pad will allow viewers to indicate their moment-by-moment satisfaction or lack thereof by means of pressing a button as often as they like. There will be a movement to accommodate the last of the impaired, the deaf, by means of special glasses you will be expected to supply upon demand, and these will receive an invisible infrared signal from a transmitter and will cause the image on 'screen' to be seen with a superimposed set of hands 'signing' in the sign language that the patron dials up on the seatback control pad.

And why shouldn't all this automation come to be?? By that time, all ticket sales will be automated since there will be no tickets; patrons will merely walk through the door and sensors in the turnstile doors will allow the door to turn only after a sensor has detected the implanted ID device under the skin of the patron (just demonstrated for medical purposes on a morning TV show the other day) and automatically deducts the price of admission from his bank account. Refreshments will be dispensed by robots, which will also deduct payment in the same way, and other robots will run the 'projection' as well as the front office, where they will instantly report all sales, all conditions and any problems to the central computer at the chain HQ where a master robot will prepare the reports and issue calls to the rarely needed human technicians to visit a location for trouble shooting that the resident robots cannot handle. Get your electrical testing equipment out, papajoe, for it is to be a "Brave New World" out there with exhibition as much for robots as by them. (I don't make the future; I just predict it.)
Jim
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction