Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby theater in a mall in kansas city
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: theater in a mall in kansas city

theater in a mall in kansas city 02 Jun 2004 23:19 #8349

hi i have read lots of things about theaters in malls and well i want openion on this one im looking at here in my area and what you all think about it i want honest openions please and just any thing you want to say. this is in kansas city,mo and is located in the old bannister mall right off the major intercetion of interstate 435 which makes a huge loop around the whole city and the subberbs and bannister rd which is a very busy area there are several shops in the area including a home depot and so forth. its not the nicest area of town its pretty old and the mall is not one of the top malls in town it use to be a very busy mall but not so much anymore. there are still some unique shops in it and it still gets busines but not so much as the other newer malls in town. This isn't a bad little theater, located right in the middle of a mall setting, for a dollar house.テつテつ Ticket counter is just off the mall hallway and there is a large open lobby with a small concession stand.テつテつ You then march up a long sloped hallway to the five screening rooms, none of which are very big but average sized with relatively good size screens.テつテつ Four of the five rooms have Dolby stereo sound.テつテつ The restrooms are in the lobby and are okay but not close to the screening rooms.テつテつ Parking is ample since it is mall parking.テつテつ I wasn't a big fan of this theater when it was a first-run theater; I thought it needed lots of updating and owner United Artists just wasn't putting any money into it.テつテつ When it closed it seemed a waste.テつテつ I guess because a dollar house is cheaper admission, you don't expect as much, so from that standpoint this is a fine addition to the dollar house screens, which are becoming few and far between. but it has been closed for a couple years now but i was by there not long ago and from what i could see the theater still has the carpet and screens and so forth its being used as a meeting house a few times a month for different groups but other then that its pretty much just empty. The problem is this, this is the home town of dickinson theaters and AMC theaters there are 5 dickinson theaters here in town and a new on being built and there are 6 amcs plus a couple other theaters. the dollar theaters here in town are really old and are pretty run down with very small screens and some really bad sound. i want to try to reopen this and make something of it there are a few other theaters here in town that are no longer theaters either that could be looked into but this one would probably take the least to reopen so im trying to get an idea on this one first. am i crazy will mall theaters not work or what. any ideas let me know thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 02 Jun 2004 23:47 #8350

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
How long has it been vacant?

What was its programming policy prior to closing?

How were its grosses/sales for the 5 years prior to closing? If its in a mall, the tenant most likely had to file sales reports, so the landlord should have this information. If not gross information should be available from either EDI or Rentrak.

What's the malls customer profile and count? Does it match with the demographics you need for your discount house? Is the mall stable or are merchants abandoning it? What is the CAM situation?

The cardinal rule of real estate, location, location, location does apply to movie theatres. If its an old tunnely AMC location, I'd be careful. Wait you said its an old UA location. Did it close prior to REG taking over UA? Was it stripped? Both Regal and UA have a habit of stripping theatres but they also sometimes just walk away and leave the equipment.

I'd also ask the mall management about overall sales trends in the mall for the past 5 years. Are they steady, trending up, trending down. Get the numbers of the % change from year to year, not just their opinion. You need factual data.

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 03 Jun 2004 08:24 #8351

• mcope
  • Fresh Boarder
I live in the Kansas City area and slightly familiar with the Bannister Mall area. I have never seen or been in the theater you're interested in. My initial concern would be the leasing agreement that could be arranged with the mall. Could you afford their terms? Do they really need you or would they be just as happy to convert the space?

For someone who lives in the area, Bannister Mall's parking lot is not known for its safety at night. People might be reluctant to go to a dollar movie if they might end up on the 10 o'clock news.

You said, "I wasn't a big fan of this theater when it was a first-run theater". If you have this conception of the theater, how are you going to change it for others.

Do you have an interest in drive-ins? I'm wondering why someone couldn't re-open the 63rd Street Drive-In down the road. Yes, it needs some screen repair, but drive-ins seem to be hot thing in and around Kansas City.

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 03 Jun 2004 08:54 #8352

• criterion
  • Junior Boarder
bigbadvoodoodaddy... Have you given up on Manhattan, Kansas?

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 03 Jun 2004 21:39 #8353

• lemonice1
  • Junior Boarder
bigbadvoodoodaddy,

You should try typing your topic in Microsoft Word and making the suggested spelling/grammar corrections before posting in the forums. Your posting is VERY difficult to read with run-on sentences, lack of capitalization, spelling errors, etc. You might receive more responses if you do a quick spell check.

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 04 Jun 2004 09:02 #8354

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Lemonice has a point; the English language has some 'rules' for a reason: itelligibility. A mass of words is something like the ancient languages where they were written without any spaces between words and no punctuation; it is often difficult to this day for experts to determine just what the writer was saying!

I remember the early days when I didn't know that one could type in a word processor program such as Microsoft's WORD, and then click on EDIT, and then SELECT ALL, then COPY, then go back to the place on a site where one wants to put the text that one's word processor has automatically checked for spelling, grammer, etc., and then place the cursor where desired, and then click on EDIT, then PASTE, whereupon the entire message is neatly folded into the little text box on the page automatically. MUCH easier than trying to type into those tiny boxes! And years ago I thought that if I hit the ENTER/RETURN button it would do something terrible to the text I had typed, but I found that it merely created a blank line between paragraphs if I hit it twice. Paragraph breaks are important to keeping things readable, but one shouldn't stoop to the newspapers' use of each sentance as a separate paragraph! They do that because they aim at a sixth grade reading level and think that their readers are too stupid to follow anything with more lines to a paragraph than usually one sentance. We here are a LOT smarter than that.

And if one is observant, he will notice that not all sites' text boxes allow all punctuation symbols, such as dash (--)(double hyphen), or "Smart Quotes" where the single (') or double (") quote marks are turned to face the text, are not allowed, and are then replaced with some confusing mess of numbers and symbols. For this reason, it is best to set one's word processor to use only 'straight' quote marks such as those seen here, and to use only a hyphen separeted by spaces on either end to indicate a dash. Hope these hints help. Jim

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 04, 2004).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 04 Jun 2004 13:35 #8355

well manhattan,ks i dont know i really dont want to move to manhattan to start a theater there. although i think it would be a great theater to start up and all but i just dont want to move to manhattan to run it i love it here in KC i have a nice place and i really wanted to try something here in KC and then i wouldnt have to move to run it. there are lots of theaters here in town that have been replaced by newer bigger theaters over the years. there are a couple up on barry road which is a very busy area of town and others here in town but the problem is i dont know which ones are still vacant and so forth. i still am thinking about the one in manhattan just dont want to move i really love the KC area. any suggestions?

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 04 Jun 2004 13:47 #8356

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
do you have financing available?

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 04 Jun 2004 19:40 #8357

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
bigbadvoodoodaddy -

Get yourself to one of the local community colleges in your area and take a class in business writing post haste! You aren't going to be taken seriously by anyone with those long rambling run-on sentences.

You want to know which theatres are vacant and might be available? Get off your ass and drive by them. Are there for lease or sale signs up? If so, call and inquire. Whining about it on the internet to a bunch of us spreadout all over the country isn't going to solve the basic problem of your inaction. You want research, go to the library. Nobody who gets anywhere in small business does so by expecting others to help them out. You've got to make it happen. How badly do you want it?

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 00:57 #8358

the problem is there are none for lease that i know of and this is a huge city i could spend days driving around. my problem is this see alot of them that even use to be theaters dont look like it from the outside anymore so i was simply looking for a way to find out about them before driving all over town. i am not whining im simply asking for some advice because i really dont know where to start. this is all new to me i am not asking anyone to do it all for me and if you are going to be rude i will just go look for help somewhere else. i simply asked a question. I am on disability and at what i make in a month i dont have extra gas to drive around and look for things. i have gone and done some looking but so far have turned up nothing. I cant help it that i make run on sentences im sorry about that i dont have a word processer on my computer and i will not use word even if i had it i refuse to use anything microsoft. Sorry its just i cant stand bill gates or windows or his programs but you dont care so anyway i would appreacite you not telling me to get off my ass. I was simply asking if anyone knew someone who was interested in this business who was looking into doing the same thing. Because it would be much better if i had help not that i need it but the banks look at me and im on disability so they are not happy that i cant come up with the capitol they want, and even though i have manager experience i dont have it in a theater, so they suggested i get a business partner who could fill in some of the gaps that i lack in the manager field. and as far as the money goes well i could get the loan but it will take some more work because i need a place to stand on not well i think i want to open here. I can get it i just was asking if anyone was interested that way we could work together and then get to know each other before we jumped into this, THEN we could get this thing started. but i simply will not jump into business without knowing someone a little bit i have been taken to many times

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 01:16 #8359

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, go to CinemaTour.com, click on cinemas, just to the right of the home listing on the middle of the left side, main page... Scroll down to Missouri, click on that and then on the pages for Kansas City... There are a LOT of listings and addresses... ALSO, if you can find an OLDER phone book for the area, you should be able to locate some addresses of theaters which were open when that phone book was current... Good Luck!...

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 01:59 #8360

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, I was a bit harsh. I can get that way. I apologize. Getting started in this business takes work. It's not like opening a restaurant or a hardware store where there are lots of commerically available guides to help you. We've all had to figure it out as we go. Outaframe's suggestion of Cinematour is a great idea.

As for business partners, yeah finding one can be very tough. I'm fortunate to have my best friend and someone I trust completely as my business partner.

All that being said Kansas City is a competitive market with some big players. What research you need is going to be driven somewhat off what your concept for a theatre is. Arthouses draw from wider areas than commercial theatres becuase there are less of them. Discount or dollar is tough but does work in the right setting. Move-over can also be a profitable business.

With regard to your comment about the person not wanting to give you the fruits of their research about an opportunity they passed on in Manhattan, KS, that work is worth something.

Good luck.

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 06:49 #8361

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Since 'bigvoododaddy' is disabled, he might try getting theatres' phone numbers (or at least mailing addresses) by phoning or writing to the local Tax Assessors' office in the community of interest. They keep the current address to which the tax bills are sent every year, and possibly the phone numbers too. Also, many such offices maintain a web site (usually part of the city's) that may list much important data about a property. Here in Milwaukee, it lists the zoning, building inspection faults, assessements, value, size and current use, etc. by the address. If KC keeps such a data base, your research may be much easier, but if they don't, merely ask the Tax Assessor's office to mail you a list of all cinemas/theatres in their jurisdiction with the contact data for each; actually, you might ask for a PRINTOUT, in case you get a lazy clerk who fears taking time to do any research for you, a PRINTOUT requiring usually only that they push a button. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best Wishes, Jim

P.S. I don't trust Microsoft either, but nowadays they dominate the word processor market with their inferior WORD program. Still, there is Correll's WORD PERFECT which is still available last I knew, and is a superior product in many ways. Look up the Correll web site and they may offer it for download. And there is probably a minor word processor right inside your Operating System, probably labeled such as WordPad or WinWord, or some such; it won't do all the fancy grammer checks (which are often faulty anyway!), but it should check spelling and allow you to see what your text looks like before you hit the SEND/SUBMIT button, though you are still going to have to learn to paragraph on your own. Click on START> PROGRAMS> ACCESSORIES to find out if your system has such extras, assuming you are using a Microsoft operating system, as most of us are forced to do. Of course, if you are using the MAC platform, things will be different, but there should still be some sort of word processor if you look around! Again, Best Wishes.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 08:50 #8362

well im downloading appleworks as we speak im not using my computer i just sold it on ebay so i re did everything including wiping the drive since that is what they wanted. So i am using my fiances computer till i get my new powerbook in the mail which i cant wait for. Yes i use macintosh i have never owned a windows computer and never will. i have been forced to use virtual pc for some things but thats the extent of it. im very familer with windows just dont like it. But i will do these things you have said and see what i come up with. I know that kansas city is a huge market and there have been tons of theaters come and go over the years and still are lots here. It seems things keep pointing to manhattan and i know that the theater there would work awesome but again i just really dont want to move back there , but it could be worth it in the end if the theater makes alot of money. when the people who originaly wanted to reopen the theater and i talked we were looking at making a profit in 7-8 months maybe less. To me that sounds great because most of what i read always states you wont make a profit till 1 1/2 to 2 years into a small business. BUt i guess i will just have to re search this some more and see what happens. I do have one question you mentioned something about a move over house or that a dollar house has to be just right area what do you mean by that. thanks again

Re: theater in a mall in kansas city 05 Jun 2004 14:55 #8363

• criterion
  • Junior Boarder
Not to be judgemental... but if you can't afford the gas to drive around KC, how can you afford a new PowerBook?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction