Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how do you start a movie theater/bar

how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 02:43 #8253

• gremlin
  • Fresh Boarder
I am really intrested in starting a movie theater/bar establisment

Kind of like this place: http://www.drafthouse.com/

I would like show old movies that a younger crowed may want to see in the theater like Cheech and Chong movies or things like old kung fu movies along with good food and good drinks

I am very unsure how to go about doing this though

1. Where can I get film prints? Do I have to rent them or can I buy them and show them over and over again.

2. Where can I buy equipment and how much is it going to cost?

3. I had an idea of mabey also showing sporting events so I was wondering if anyone knew how to project a tv image onto a screen and are there any legal issues with doing that?

4. Does anyone else run one of these place and can give me some ideas or hints about starting up this place.

Thanks for all the help

Evan Alter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 08:23 #8254

1. You nust rent the prints from the studios.
It may seem like a good idea at first but not enough people are really interested in seeing old cheech and chong and kung fu movies for you to be able to make it. (much of these prints are unavailable as well)

2. you can buy equipment from several equipment dealers. Costs can very depending on how much you want to spend. look at $60,000 minimum for a minimal booth set up.

3.Can you say Copyright infringement (if you charge admission) and sometimes they frown upon you making money on otherthings while showing thier shows.

4 better have lots o money. experience in movie theatre and restraunt operations.

The Alamo Draft House has bought out serveral older theatre properties in Texas.

West Oaks mall location in Houston was a former General cinema site that they leased and redid.

If you notice on their website that they really show first run movies as thier mainstay and have very little "old run"

Not to burst you bubble but just bringng in reality

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 08:35 #8255

• criterion
  • Junior Boarder
Evan,

I don't mean to sound like the voice of pessimism, but you should know that a lot of theaters that make it in Austin, won't necessarily make it anywhere else in the US. Austin has worked very hard over the last 10 to 20 years to cultivate their city into not only a mecca for independent film-makers, but also a haven for interesting and unusual ventures. Of course, I'm not saying that a venture like the Alamo won't work outside of Austin, b/c I'm sure there's plenty that have, you'll just need to do lots of research and go from there.

As far as your questions go, the majority of them can be answered by searching this forum or reading through the FAQ portion... but to get you started, here's a quick rundown of some possible answers:

1. You usually rent film prints through a distribution company. The distribution company will take a healthy chunk out of your box office income, so don't be surprised to hear fees anywhere between 40% all the way up to 90% for first-runs. Booking agents can help you locate, schedule, and negotiate with film distributors. There are several booking agents who frequent this board.

2. Check the "Directories" portion of this website for equipment dealers. We go through Scott Hicks and American Cinema Equipment in Salt Lake City, but there's lots of good dealers all over the US. Projectors aren't cheap, nor is the slew of other equipment you'll be needing... restaurant equipment, theater seats, sound systems, additional booth equipment, etc..

3. Last I heard, it was illegeal to show live sporting events in a paying environment, unless said event is not advertised. For instance, you can flip on the TV in any old bar and turn to the Cardinals game, but if you advertise that you're doing so, you can find yourself in a heap of trouble. There's a post somewhere in this forum that discusses that issue.

Good luck. This is a great resource to find the information you're looking for.

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 08:37 #8256

• criterion
  • Junior Boarder
Read this post at Film-Tech about what can happen if you run a cinema / bar / restaurant incorrectly...
http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001150

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 08:46 #8257

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Gremlin, be careful about where you get prints. There are some unscruplous dealers who will sell you film prints while assuring you that you can do what you want with what you buy. That is simply not so according to law. While there are some very old (usually silent) films in the Public Domain, one must remember that the law also protects that maker/distributor of that print you buy in that they either openly publish or make you sign an 'Agreement' that says that they own the print master and therefore can dictate under what conditions you can make use of their "license." Such statements have been held by the courts to comprise common business law; the courts assume that you have the wits to acquaint yourself with exhibition law before you undertake to exhibit anything.

As another thread here points out, it is very risky to show (exhibit) anything you do not have a specific license for from the legal owner/provider of the title. Do not simply take the word of anyone selling a print! The odds that they legally own the rights to license that print for public showing ('public' is ANYTHING outside of your own home) are remote indeed, and you would do well to C.Y.A. Best Wishes, though GTE is right about the slim reality of success, sad to say. Jim
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 10:48 #8258

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The McMenamin family here in the Pacific Northwest has a chain of 'brew pub' and 'cinema grill' theaters. They are very successful at it and you can check their website for more info at www.mcmenamin.com

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 14:57 #8259

• gremlin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks of all the info

I am sorry to think that most of you think this wont work. Mabey I should try to focus on first run movies but man most of them stink nowadays

So do you know any place I can get my hands on legal older movies to show? I know cheech and chong won't appeal to everyone but i was thinking of that as just the tip of the ice burg. Like showing old John Wayne movies mabey or really anything that was popular and I can get my hands on. Mabey also splice in some art movies.

About the TV viewing, I knew it would be illegal to charge for watching the superbowl however if I let people come in for free and charge them for the food that is fine. I was planing on somthing like that because I would like to serve more than just popcorn, I was thinking like restaurant quality food and at restaurant prices

I just remember when I was in the alamo how much fun I had and I would think that would work anywhere If i don't try to be to big. Like one or two screens or mabey one screen with a sports bar/conestion stand or somthing

Anyway the real problem is finding the movies and being able to show them legaly so any advice in this area would be a great help for me so I can price out exaclty how much I will need and if this is somthing I can do

Thanks

Evan Alter

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 15:39 #8260

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gremlin:
<B>...I would think that would work anywhere If i don't try to be to big. Like one or two screens or mabey one screen with a sports bar/conestion stand or somthing

Anyway the real problem is finding the movies and being able to show them legaly so any advice in this area would be a great help for me so I can price out exaclty how much I will need and if this is somthing I can do

Thanks

Evan Alter</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would work only if you have the audience for it. They won't just work anywhere. Yes they are fun and a different experience, but you have to realize that there are many more costs involved in a theatre of this type.
Some prints are available from the studios, but that is about the only place you are going ot find the old stuff.

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 15:54 #8261

• criterion
  • Junior Boarder
Evan,

Do you plan on hiring managers to oversee this business, b/c you will need one for the theater side AND one for the restaurant side. Running either a theater or restaurant is incredibly hard work... be prepared to put a lot of sweat equity into this project (i.e. working 7 days a week, 80+ hour weeks, holidays, etc.).

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 15:54 #8262

• gremlin
  • Fresh Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTEntertainment:
<B> It would work only if you have the audience for it. They won't just work anywhere. Yes they are fun and a different experience, but you have to realize that there are many more costs involved in a theatre of this type.
Some prints are available from the studios, but that is about the only place you are going ot find the old stuff.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know they won't work ANYWHERE but i think in a big city that don't currently have one of these could support one

About the prints how do I get in contact with the studios to find out which prints i can get my hands on?

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 17:49 #8263

you would need a booker,but at this point you are getting the cart way before the horse. when I ran some midnight stuff there was a very limited amount of old product available to me. You cannot just run a DVD. Most studios are too busy to field calls from people callimg up and asking "Hey is this available?" I was able to talk to some people at the distribs before I started and they were nice, but I was only calling about booking terms and not old product.

Re: how do you start a movie theater/bar 01 Jun 2004 17:56 #8264

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
First off, I apologize if the following is taken wrong. Let's stop encouraging "newbies" from opening any type of theatre-first run, second run, draft house, art house, whatever. There are too many damn screens in America as is. Since the bankruptcy problems of the majors have subsided, I've seen the increasing interest from "outsiders" thinking this is a get rich quick, easy industry. Those of us with years of experience realize it's incredibly hard work. The ONLY advice a person interested in this business should get is- go work at a movie theatre for 5 years. Work every position. After that time,if you can still get out of bed on Xmas morning, leave your kids tucked in bed and head off to the theatre to start your day, then and only then should you consider a further investment. I've been in the business and sacrificed for 20 years. It was only this year that I set about trying to open my own theatre. And with a little luck and more sacrifice, I'll be open by year's end. It's all well and good to have a dream, but live the reality for awhile first.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction