Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby after school shows...anybody try these?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: after school shows...anybody try these?

after school shows...anybody try these? 21 Apr 2004 08:59 #8132

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We are a small town theater, single screen. I'm starting to run a 4:30 show for the kids, Cody Banks this week. I'm thinking of running our usual evening show at this time during the week if it's PG, or maybe getting an older (out longer) kid type show for this purpose.

Of course the nice weather is just coming, and the kids are outside more....this time might work better during the darker fall and winter months.

I'm trying to think creatively until we get our other screen installed.

Sally

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: after school shows...anybody try these? 22 Apr 2004 17:01 #8133

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Sals,
We regularly run our last matinee set and one evening set Monday - Thursday. This allows us to offer the discount matinee price every day. The previous operators of this theater ran only the two evening sets. In our market the later evening set brings in only a few people and is not worth doing. Some days the matinee set does well other days the evening set brings in all the money.
In our market we would probably be better off to schedule shows around 2:00 but we don't have our help out of school at that time so we start running as early as 3:30. Keep in mind that this is a transitional time for most families so is not always a good time for them to come. Because we are first run we cannot run a different movie than our contract allows in the matinee time period. However, this week Buena Vista has allowed a mix with Home on the Range so we will run Home on the Range at 4:15 and 6:00 with The Prince & Me at 7:30. I am sure that you take advantage of any school holidays to run extra shows in any case. Our area is difficult with many school systems and we never are entirely aware of the wacky days off like St Patricks Day until we get an unusually large number of kids for the matinee show.

Re: after school shows...anybody try these? 22 Apr 2004 22:41 #8134

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The moms have been expressing gratitude as they kids can't go to the 7PM show without bedtime being a major rush. With the 4:30 show, they can get home in time for dinner.

I've been getting some people this week, so hope it will catch on. Boy do they spend concession money at that time though! And I've seen some kids there a few times.

Crossing my fingers...

Re: after school shows...anybody try these? 30 Apr 2004 14:29 #8135

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hope it works for you, Sals. The kids do spend the bucks...

On the other side of the ledger was my experience with this in a small, southern Oregon theatre I used to own. We found that after-schools & Saturday matinees turned us into the community's babysitter. Parents would dump their kids at our doorstep & sometimes not return until well after the show had ended. In a time when parents are not instilling much discipline in their kids, it caused us major headaches.... and while concessions were generally good, I never saw such messes as I did after those shows.

Eventually, to return some semblance of sanity to my business & staff, I dropped it.

Today, I have a theatre that skews more to a young adult+ age. I don't allow kids under 12 in the place without an accompanying adult.

Re: after school shows...anybody try these? 12 May 2004 08:23 #8136

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
rodeojack said: "Today, I have a theatre that skews more to a young adult+ age. I don't allow kids under 12 in the place without an accompanying adult."

If only tha could happen, it would make the world a better place

I know where you are coming from. At our one-screen theatre, we only do one show on the weekends. Kids will be dropped off and we'll be lucky if they get picked up within 10 to 15 mins of the movie getting out. There was one time when two girls didn't get picked up until an hour after the movie was done. Of course we stick around and make sure everyone's rides show up so nothing bad happens to them.

The messes are also terrible. By the end of the night, it looks like Noah's arc could float through the front of the auditorium.

Not to mention at our other theatre, a 4-screen, we've had a few problems with kids being distructive. A week ago, we had a group of kids bust out an arm rest that was bolted to the floor. It kind of makes you wonder why kids do these things. Parents need to do something to teach these kids a lesson when they misbehave.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction