Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby A Place For The Babies
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Place For The Babies

A Place For The Babies 30 Apr 2004 11:58 #8091

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I have given some thought to turning a large unused potion of my theatre into a Moms and Tots Rooms. It's not a large room, but big enough for a small movie screen and about 75 to 100 seats. I'm thinking that rather then movie seats I could build one continuious couch that would have more seating space. I need input from those of you who have already had experience with this type of theatre and the extras that go with it like the changing stations and the play rooms.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A Place For The Babies 30 Apr 2004 12:33 #8092

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
My first thought is the booth. Is it attached in some way to your existing booth or would it be accesible? I like the idea about the long couch as it would be good for mom and tots. Would that be around the edge with regular seats in the middle?
"What a crazy business"

Re: A Place For The Babies 30 Apr 2004 12:51 #8093

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmmmmmm, this is somewhat a new concept... I remember when "cry rooms" were the hot item in the late 1940's and early 50's... I recollect that the rest of the audience usually appreciated not having to listen to a squawling kid during the movie, but family attendance was much higher then, and the need was more evident...

What you are considering amounts to a special theater requiring a seperate booth, sound system, and screen, AND a seperate print... It would also probably require a seperate booking of a movie that would appeal to that particular audience, and FOR SURE, no one WITHOUT a tot would knowingly see a picture in those conditions... It wouldn't work in my location as I don't have a large enough audience of this particular group (movie going parents with tots) to make it pay off... I suppose IF you DO have a large enough audience of this segment, it MIGHT work, but I am very skeptical... Something similar called Movies for Moms and/or Movies in the Morning has been happening in a few locations, where a special showing is held for just this audience... The results for these have been spotty, with some being somewhat successful, and others dropped... Before investing a lot into this, you ought to try these special matinee type showings first, to see what support you will receive...

Re: A Place For The Babies 30 Apr 2004 21:11 #8094

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
There was an article within the past week in the Arts and Leisure section of the NY Times about Loews and others Movies for Moms and Babies program. I'll post the link, but I suspect you have to be registered with the NY Times to get it. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/27/movies/27BABI.html

We've had a couple of parents ask about it and a theatre north of us is doing it on thursday mornings.

The Parkway in Oakland pioneered this about 6 or 7 years ago.

Re: A Place For The Babies 04 May 2004 08:21 #8095

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
The projection booth is attatched to the room in question on one its sides. We will have to make windows to project the features.

The couch will run around the perimeter of the room with four sets of smaller ones to the sides. The middle is a thick pile carpet so the tots can crawl around.

Re: A Place For The Babies 04 May 2004 08:27 #8096

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The Times article was very good. But it does point out that these shows are being done in very compact urban areas or affluent suburbs with a high percentage of "yummies" (AKA young-urban-mommies). I'd do it but we wouldn't get enough to make it worth while. Perhaps as a club? Then the issue of sound will also really be a problem. Young kids can hve their hearing damaged by the standard sound levels in a theatre. So we turn it down. Then the mums can't hear it. Oh well.

I like the idea of a specialized room .... bench seats.... carpeting.......for those that have the population to justify.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction