Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Arthouse showtimes...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Arthouse showtimes...

Arthouse showtimes... 05 Apr 2004 11:09 #7972

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
I'm trying to figure out a good schedule for our theater (arthouse/independent fare), and was wondering how some of the other smaller, single-screen and twins did yours. We're currently looking at 3 shows on the weekdays and 4 on the weekends, but I wonder if that's overdoing it. From my years working in a multiplex, I remember just how empty Wednesday afternoon shows were... or Wednesday evenings for that matter.

Here's our tentative plan:

Screen 1
M-F » 3:30, 6:30, 9:30
Sat-Sun » 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30

Screen 2
M-F » 4:00, 7:00, 10:00
Sat-Sun » 1:00, 4:00, 7:00, 10:00

So, what do you think? Overkill?

[This message has been edited by bjork24 (edited April 05, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 05 Apr 2004 14:41 #7973

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Three hours between shows is too much for most movies. Most movies at most are 2 hours. You also have a lot of time (30 minutes) between whats showing on screen 1 and screen 2. Those very LATE shows do terrible. Who wants to watch a movie at 10 or 10:30 at night. You could also start your matinees a little later in the day, as yes, most of those shows will be slow. Start at say 2:00, 4:30,7:00,9:30...

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 05 Apr 2004 15:34 #7974

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
I agree that late-night showings usually don't do well, but we're going to be within walking distance from a college with a student population close to 28,000. I've seen theaters in similar situations have successful showings at later hours, which is why we'll probably stick with those.

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 05 Apr 2004 16:24 #7975

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Whatever start time works, is the thing to go with, but more than 15 minutes, or so, BETWEEN showings is a waste of time, AND you're going to be paying your crew to just basically mark time during any longer time span... Why not start your first evening showing at a fixed time, and let the second start at an (advertized) variable time, depending on running time for the first, plus 15 minutes get-ready for the second... It's done all the time, and your customers WILL accept that...

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 06 Apr 2004 01:10 #7976

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Also, how many shows you do should be a function of both how long the movie is and how you expect it to do. In our 5 screen arthouse we start at 1:00 and try to have the last show go up by 9:30, though lately its been like 9:40.

On movies that are going to be popular, we do 5 shows if we can. That extra showtime can really be profitable. As someone else pointed out, you are paying for the staff, building etc., might as well make some money.

You will also find that some films do better earlier and some later. Each film is different.

If your market has a significant senior population who will be part of your base, then I'd consider doing an earlier show on the weekdays. Seniors don't like to be out after dark or in rush hour traffic. And they like to go to the movies and will come frequently, especially if they don't have to deal with unrulely teenagers.

Stand in the lobby and watch who comes to what at which times, its very educational.

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 06 Apr 2004 02:23 #7977

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
In a college town, I remember my local theater used to have what is called Midnight Madness on Saturday night.
It was always a sellout for them. It is a nice place to go when things are winding down to go and hang out at the theater and see a flick. Especially subjects that they can relate to!
Have questionares and see what they want to see and what times. Present an idea liekthis. Your booker can also find out bookings for older movies for them to enjoy. Like Rocky Horror, Pink Floyds:The Wall etc...
The only problem with Rocky Horror is it packs the theatre in but what a mess afterwards!!!!

Good Luck, you can have reel fun and generate alot of after hours business!

Re: Arthouse showtimes... 15 Apr 2004 08:38 #7978

• RealButter
  • Expert Boarder
We are a single-screen art/indie in a small college town (population: 8,000 with students, 6,000 without).

We screen nightly at 7 & 9 pm
Matinees Saturday, Sunday & Wednesday @ 4:30 pm (added Wednesday last summer and kept it)

We have 2-4 midnight shows/semester with the college film club (they cover the cost and it's a free show). They do well depending on the film.

Sandra www.imagescinema.org

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction