Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition?

Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 09 Apr 2004 14:10 #7951

• zenatek
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anyone bought or heard of the Kagan book called The Business of Movie Exhibition?

I am thinking about buying it for research but its $1,200.

It supposed to be the most extensive collection of information about theater operation. I just want to know if its worth it. There seems to be a lot of information in it that I cant find anywhere else.

Here is the weblink to check it out:
http://www.kagan.com/cgi-bin/pkcat/exh04.html

Any thoughts on it would be great.

John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 09 Apr 2004 18:45 #7952

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmmmmmmm... $1,200 for a book seems a bit pricey, but compared to a college education...... I did take a look at the ad, and was somewhat surprized by the rosy forecasts they are making... IF they are correct that the average theater is creating a Cash Flow (which I define as after tax net profit) of $74,000 per screen, evidently there are a LOT of us doing below average, and I'd sure like to see what the Big Boys are doing... Much of the data and information the book mentions is available from other sources, but IF they'll guarantee that I can make the kind of money they forecast, by reading their book, I'll go for a copy, or two...

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 09 Apr 2004 19:11 #7953

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
WHOOPS... They only said $71,000 per screen, but I'll STILL take a copy, IF......

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 09 Apr 2004 23:51 #7954

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
I looked into it when I was starting out and decided it wasn't worth it. They do have some interesting things, but what they are really selling is all of it in a neat little package. You can find much of the raw information and draw your own conclusions if you are willing to commit to some library research. It all depends on what is more important to you, having it quick and packaged and laying out cash, or investing some time and energy in some researching.

Hint: SEC reports on the publically traded exhibitors contain lots of interesting tidbits, if you read the management notes on the financial statements and are able to quickly sort out the crap from the gold.

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 13 Apr 2004 01:18 #7955

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
From looking at the Table of Contents I suspect that the Business referred to in its title is Big Business, that is public companies and big circuits only. Look at the list of companies whose financials are included. And I'll bet those financials are at the corporate level, not the operating location level.

I think this book is intended for potential big chain investors and for big distributors who are trying to figure out how to maximize their share of the take.

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 13 Apr 2004 10:41 #7956

• zenatek
  • Fresh Boarder
These are a lot of great points.

Do you guys think that the Nato Exhibition Encyclopedia would be a better one to purchase as it might have more relevent information, not to mention its a fraction of the cost.

Have any of you purchased the Nato Publication, if so is it a worth while purchase for a source of figures for a biz plan?

Re: Kagan Business of Movie Exhibition? 13 Apr 2004 18:17 #7957

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Get the NATO big book first. 1200.00 bucks and it better better better be good!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction