Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby We finally opened...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: We finally opened...

We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 10:34 #7852

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We finally opened the Tupper Lake State Theater in the Adirondacks this weekend...front page story in the regional paper. The papers all sold out but I got a copy from the local restaurant, luckily!

We're playing HOME ON THE RANGE and it's doing modestly well for the location. (but great compared with their normal business). The theater is old and needs lots of work. We replaced the carpet in the lobby immediately and did a lot of cleaning. The marquee is being worked on and the new sound system is on the way, new lensing and screen. And lots of paint and more cleaning...

I'm so tired but exhilerated... you know what people are saying? "Thank you for what you're doing for the community." Feels great.

Sally

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 10:52 #7853

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
Congratulations!!!
Got pictures?
lance

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 10:59 #7854

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Congratulations, Sals. All your hard work will continue to be appreciated by your community. May your patronage never cease to increase as a result!

I located the news article and it is great: http://www.pressrepublican.com/Archive/2004/04_2004/040220047.htm

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited April 04, 2004).]

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 11:45 #7855

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, pictures please!

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 22:01 #7856

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Here's a link to some pictures I took in January. The front poster cases are done and the marquee is being worked on. http://homepage.mac.com/salss/tupperlakestate/PhotoAlbum2.html

Of course, the popcorn machine broke the first night we were open. Right in the middle of the rush of course. I called around the next day and a video store owner *sold* me his popper for a hundred bucks...it's an old Star with a 12 oz kettle. I feel lucky....the one that broke was a 6 month old Cretors Profiteer. Oh well...it's a warmer now until I can get the parts.

I'll try to take more pictures. It's going to take a little time but the place will be much improved!

Sally

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 22:56 #7857

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Good luck,SALS

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 23:20 #7858

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Congratulations Sally,

Reading about your theatre project both here and in the Republican Newspaper sure brought back memories for me. It seems like just yesterday that I bought my theatre and faced all the uncertainties that you now face. That was 34 years ago. Actually it was 36 years ago that I aquired my first theatre and began the process that you are now involved in. The following year I aquired another one, and then a year later the one I have now. Eventually over the years there were 18 in all, never more then 10 at one time. I finally got tired of overseeing them all, and preferred the hands on approach of operating just one, and therefore relinquished control of the others. I much prefer the fun and excitement of running one theatre... first nurturing it back to health, then finally actually restoring it, all the while making it prosper both as a business and a community icon. Today, and for years now, it is considered the centerpiece of the community. Now it seems so easy. The thrill isn't there as it use to be. I sometimes think I'd like to start all over again somewhere else, where I could have that challenge to breath life back into an old theatre.

That's where you are now, and I envy you. It will be a lot of hard work, as you already know, but the rewards of accomplishment are indescribable. To see the theatre once again filled with happy patrons. To see the building return to it's former beauty.To see the theatre regain it's rightful place in the community as it's main destination point, and to become involved in every facet of community activity. It will take time, maybe many years. It took me five years to break even, ten years to become really profitable, and twenty years to nearly complete the restoration. That continues and is ongoing to this very day. When you think you're finished you'll discover something that was different and decide to make that a goal to accomplish. There are some things you will have to change to make the business more functionable.

It is a great challenge... a very rewarding one, and you sound like the perfect person to carry that challenge to completion. I wish you the best. Have fun and enjoy your accomplishments.

Re: We finally opened... 04 Apr 2004 23:45 #7859

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
HELLO SALLY <> And glad to have you aboard... Ditto to all that ROXY just told you!... You sent your pix a while back and we talked about a lot of stuff, including the marquee... Can't wait to see how it comes out... It will take a lot of time and work, but worth it all in the end... Despite the 'ol showbiz saying, DON'T break a leg, in the process!... Best of luck!...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction