Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Top Things I've learned my first months in the business
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business

Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 14 Mar 2004 08:47 #7745

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
1. When renovating a theater take the time it should take and multiply it by 2 at least. If you think it takes an hour to paint that wall, it will surely take two.

2. Practice showing movies until you can't stand it anymore. If you've never projected movies before and think you can pick it up, think again. Too often people know just enough to make them dangerous (I hope I'm not in that category anymore....). Get some leader and splice it to some old trailers or something and thread that machine, project it and then rethread it again. Practice splices. Get to know your equipment well.

3. Be extra nice to the studios. Do all the paperwork, and when they lose it all just smile and fill it all out again. I read a post here that sums it up best. "You need them and they don't need you".

4. Talk to your customers. They can be a great source for new ideas and to help guide you in selecting the movie that'll work best for your community.

5. Clean, clean, clean. Sometimes I fell like a glorified janitor. Clean that projection booth. Clean those washrooms, clean that auditorium, and when you can't stand it clean them again. It amazes me how much gets tracked in to the theater every show.

6. It's hard work. More then I imagined. I am a little suprised at how much time I spend here. I'm even more suprised at how much time I WANT to spend here. I used to hate my job but now I look forward to it!
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 14 Mar 2004 11:37 #7746

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

3. Be extra nice to the studios. Do all the paperwork, and when they lose it all just smile and fill it all out again.

Make extra photocopies of the paperwork. That way if they lose it then you can just toss the copies in the mail. Also get a delivery comfirmation signature so if they do lose it you can say so-and-so signed for it.

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 14 Mar 2004 18:57 #7747

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
You really did hit it on the head.

Cleaning: some people don't care much about cleaning. If that is you or your management team you have a problem. The public cares very much about clean. No one will stay away from a clean theatre but droves will depart a dump. Clean equipment runs better and needs less repair than dirty equipment.

Estimating time to renovate: a fair but kick ass deadline helps. We started June 1 and made it for Nov. 1. It takes 60 days to get seats so get to work!@ The two must be ready dates are Nov 1 and May 1.

Lastly: Have more money on hand than you thought you'd need. You will need it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 15 Mar 2004 12:59 #7748

• Tim Eiler
  • Fresh Boarder
You will also learn that at least one studio every couple of months will lose your check

[This message has been edited by Tim Eiler (edited March 15, 2004).]

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 15 Mar 2004 17:23 #7749

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
lose checks--AND weekly boxoffice reports--even when e-mailed!

My tounge keeps getting smaller from biting it so much

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 16 Mar 2004 03:56 #7750

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Anything you can send, they can (and do) lose... And they will swear they didn't receive it!...

By now, you probably have a lot more respect for that guy who follows the elephants around at the circus, with a shovel and broom... Nothing quite equals cleaning up what a drunk or a sick kid "hurls" when his tummy gets upset!... A scoop of cat litter helps, but it ain't even remotely pleasant, regardless... Ah, the glamor and excitement of show biz!...

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 16 Mar 2004 06:41 #7751

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Get a booker, because they can teach you more in a few months than you'll learn in a year.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 18 Mar 2004 20:27 #7752

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I have been booking myself and you guys are scaring me. What am I missing? It's been lots of work and lots of time on the phone, but, other then that, it hasn't been that big of a deal. I can see where you might want to pay somebody to do all that for you, but for me, in my present situation, it's not anything I can't handle......yet.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 19 Mar 2004 01:32 #7753

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
You're a single screen, open partial week in small rural market, and not buying in a competitive first run situation... You're already over the hump: you've learned the essentials, and have a fairly good idea of what works there... You don't need a booker: no one cares about your situation quite as much as you do!... Keep on with what you're doing, just as you have been, you're your own best friend!...

Re: Top Things I've learned my first months in the business 19 Mar 2004 10:01 #7754

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are just starting out a booker can get you signed up with all the movie companies and bargain collectivly for movies in all his/her theatres. I've gotten better settlements by far since I started using a booker. Yes, you bet i could do it all myself with no problem: I'm established, I pay my bills, and people like me. But, I would rather avoid this aspect of the business. I'd rather spend my time getting people in the doors and making sure everything gets done. Because I have a very good booker I feel I shed less stomach lining when the smoke clears. YMMV. I very much respect those who do it themselves and would urge you to head in that direction if that interests you.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction