Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing?

Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 15 Mar 2004 11:59 #7729

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a few questions for those of you who serve food inside your theatre. Do you have waitresses who serve your customers or do the customers bring their order in when they place it? Does paying waitresses to carry the orders around cut into your profits, or better yet, how much do you pay them?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 16 Mar 2004 23:42 #7730

• matt66
  • Fresh Boarder
Servers in the auditorium really, really, really distract from the film. Even if they don’t talk to people they are walking around a lot and people will talk to them. From my experience, this also gives other people in the theatre permission to talk as well. You also need to pay them and you need more than you would for the same amount of business in a conventional restaurant because everyone is coming or leaving at once. It’s really cool when you are watching the exciting conclusion of a movie and someone steps in front of you to drop off a check and the people around you are all digging into their wallets. I have been to several places that do this several ways and it is a bad way to see a movie and a bad way to eat a meal. I don’t know if you have ever waited tables, but imagine doing it in the dark while whispering.

Just let your patrons bring their own food into the auditorium and be at peace with the fact that they might only buy one beer and a meal instead of 2 beers, a meal and a dessert.

Re: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 17 Mar 2004 01:42 #7731

• swapman26
  • Fresh Boarder
how about a buffet theatre?

Re: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 17 Mar 2004 15:17 #7732

• Roger
  • Senior Boarder
I attend movies a few times per year at the Gilson Cafe & Cinema in Winsted, Conn. I have never found the waitresses to be a distraction and have remarked more than once at how surprisingly unobtrusive they usually are.

Re: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 17 Mar 2004 18:41 #7733

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
At the Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor, Maine there is a bingo board up by the screen. When your order is ready it's like B-29 in red letters. Get up and get yo food dude! I don't think careful wait staff is any worse that galloots trooping back and forth to the bar. Maybe better in fact!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Is It Self-Serve or Waitressing? 18 Mar 2004 12:32 #7734

• NanEman
  • Junior Boarder
The cinema cafe/grill concept, when executed in a facility that is designed for in-auditorium food service can provide a superior movie/dining experience with a minimum of distractions for the patron.

Full wait-service can be done very discretely with well-trained wait staff and can be further enhanced by previewing the movies first in order to find lulls in the action so that the waiters will not disturb patrons during the high-action portions or periods where the soundtrack gets very quiet. Taking these types of things into consideration can take care of most peoples objections.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction