Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby OSCAR Thoughts...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OSCAR Thoughts...

OSCAR Thoughts... 01 Mar 2004 14:56 #7584

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Am I getting old and jaded, or has the Oscars presentation seriously deteriorated over the last 10 years, or so?... I have watched (or taped) the Oscars since they were first televised, and as newsreels (remember those?) even before then, and I find it increasingly difficult to get enthused about them... In the 40's and 50's there were larger than life stars like Gable, Tracy, Hepburn, Cary Grant, Liz and MANY more whose very presence generated excitement, and moguls like C.B., Mike Todd, Zanuck, etc. who literally reeked the power and money (and control) of Hollywood... In the 60's and 70's there was the "new wave" of stars and filmakers who made radical and exciting departures from the status quo, and tradition... And there were the contoversial happenings like Geo C. Scott's refusal, and David Niven vs the streaker... In the 80's and 90's the whole thing became more and more an obligation to just show up and be seen there... But there were occasional lapses of greatness like Sally Fields' "You really like me" bit... Last night's show was so cut and dried, and so formula driven that it was a real yawner: a large herd of very wealthy folks who are dressed to the nines, and required to be present to pat one another on the back while espousing the platitudes of the day... Maybe it's because the individual movers and shakers who once made the movies have been replaced by the bean counters who answer to the conglomerates that now own the industry... The movies they make reflect the same qualities... Rant completed!...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited March 01, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: OSCAR Thoughts... 01 Mar 2004 17:29 #7585

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
After Mike Moore last year and Janet J. this year the pressure to be good was on big time. As Billy C. said "Scary times!"

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: OSCAR Thoughts... 01 Mar 2004 18:04 #7586

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I liked:

Billy Crystals opening songs Old Man Eastwood, and I saw a film by Sofia.

I liked Michael Moore getting stomped by a war Elephant in the opening montage.

Jack Black and Will Farrel singing You're Boring.

Charliz Theron's Dress

Angelina Joli's Dress

Catherine Zeta-Jones' Dress

Blank Edwards' entrance

Tiplets Rendevous

A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow

Low Points:

The president of the Academy

Diane Keaton's dress

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction